tracer wobble

jimmymac

Reaction score
Looking for some help guys, i have a 16 plate tracer and between 100 and 130 (track days obviously ;) theres a slight wobble and just feels like the front end is ready to break away it just isnt very steady, anyone had same problem? Thanks in advance

Tracer Dave

Reaction score
Looking for some help guys, i have a 16 plate tracer and between 100 and 130 (track days obviously ;) theres a slight wobble and just feels like the front end is ready to break away it just isnt very steady, anyone had same problem? Thanks in advance
Have you got the standard screen, if so I take it that you have tried the different screen settings, If so, back off the front spring preload setting on the front forks, and try that. :)

jimmymac

Reaction score
Have you got the standard screen, if so I take it that you have tried the different screen settings, If so, back off the front spring preload setting on the front forks, and try that. :)
Hi dave, screen setting is at its highest position, and i have softened the front prelode a bit but im not too clever when it comes to all the suspention gismos, Got the bike in march and done about 7350 mls already with no other problems

trevorleigh

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what tyres are you running on the Tracer, I have the Pr4's and can honestly say that even at high speeds I do not get any wobble. Only difference maybe is that I removed the hand guards on day one, not sure if that would make a difference. I use two different screens for everyday use and for touring and it seems fine with both.

Unfazed

Reaction score
What he said, no wobbles at all, running PR4's with hardened up suspension preload front and back, rebound softned off slightly to stop pogoing

jimmymac

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what tyres are you running on the Tracer, I have the Pr4's and can honestly say that even at high speeds I do not get any wobble. Only difference maybe is that I removed the hand guards on day one, not sure if that would make a difference. I use two different screens for everyday use and for touring and it seems fine with both.
On metzlers now but had the same problem with the original one's maybe get it back into dealer's and see if they can check it out, it might be me shaking ?

Air

Reaction score
It´s a well known problem. I have my suspension really hard and it helps a lot.

jimmymac

Reaction score
Just put the suspention back to factory settings and that has helped a lot, when i first got the bike i had to soften it a bit as the roads i use are a bit harsh,(understatement) the bike has softened a bit now with use, thanks for the input guys i think im sorted now.

Carvern

Reaction score
Never had a wobble, think it could be down to your weight if I'm guessing, perhaps a survey of weight v wobble or not? I'm 15st and no wobble.

Air

Reaction score
11st here.

But...
You need to push the bike, it is not the everyday ride that makes the Tracer to wobble.

It's start at 110mph...

robin

Reaction score
FJR Owners had the same problem. They put it down to wind turbulence caused by the top box when no passenger.

Last edited:

Carvern

Reaction score
Fully aware the speeds need to be in excess of the national speed limit, which of course none of us do on the road.

Sven

Reaction score
Mine was 'shaking the bars' at about 125mph. Could probably dial it out with some suspension tweaks or upgrades. But as i don't usually ride at that speed, its not a big problem. (Only when chasing a mate over the mountain circuit on the IOM!)

jimmymac

Reaction score
FJR Owners had the same problem. They put it down to wind turbulence caused by the top box when no passenger.
I was beginning to think about the top box but after setting up the suspension a bit stiffer it seems to have worked, any movement now is just down to the s**t road surface n the muppet hanging on to the bars ?

boa

Reaction score
Wobble - not any more...

The steering felt ultra-light and I flet it unstable. Had Ohlins steering-damper on my previous bikes, but went for the GPR because of the mounting this time. Great difference, bike now runs like a train and I don't feel the wind shaking the steering.

mrmortar

Reaction score
Yeah I noticed mine seems to wobble more when I have the top box on. Really odd.