Track tyres. What's your experience?

Fluke

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've got a trackday coming up and I'm thinking of putting some proper rubber on.
Has anyone done any trackdays or racing and can share their recommendations or avoidances?
I'm really happy with the PR4s I use on the road but I'm pretty sure I'll want something a lot stickier on track.
I should mention that it's abroad so it will be a lot hotter.
Many thanks for any help
Cheers, Fluke

TIM80

Reaction score
I would highly recommend Dunlop Q3s or even the Alpha 13 tyres. Both give good grip on dry track days. Also recommend lowering tyre pressures for track day rides if pressing hard .

Fluke

Reaction score
Someone just recommended Dunlop D211 Gp Racers
Has anyone tried them?

Cheers, Fluke

Fluke

Reaction score
I would highly recommend Dunlop Q3s or even the Alpha 13 tyres. Both give good grip on dry track days. Also recommend lowering tyre pressures for track day rides if pressing hard .
Who makes the Alpha 13s?

bobh

Reaction score
I've used Metzeler M7RR's on the road and on track. Several others I've ridden with on track have also used them and feedback is good. General opinion is that they are (almost) as grippy as Diablo Corsas, but give twice the
mileage. They aren't too bad in the wet, either.

TIM80

Reaction score
Who makes the Alpha 13s?
Dunlop Alpha 13 are very popular here in Australia especially with the supermotarders as a track tyre .Similar to a Dunlop Q3 but with even more grip and are street legal. Consided
a Hyper sport tyre

collywog19

Reaction score
Alpha 13 are great tyres, i have ran a few tyres on mine, and supercorsas were the best but currently running a dunlop gpr300 front and rosso 2 pirelli rear as i wont be flying about in winter so dont mind plus the tyres were free, i change my own as have a machine.

DelClark

Reaction score
PR4s will be fine. They will grip ok when warmed up but may get a bit too hot though

Just remember to lower the tyre pressures say 30/30.

There should be a tyre guy at the TD who will advise.
Not sure about the MT09, but I took my 900GT on a TD and has issues with grounding the hero blobs on the bottom of the pegs.
Next time I will remove them and the centre stand.
BTW my tyres were metz m9RRs and coped very well

(y)Have fun and keep it shiny side up :D(y)

bobh

Reaction score
Another vote for Metzeler - I use M7RRs, but I'm sure the M9s are as good if not better. And they are good in the wet, too.

Oops, just realised I posted much the same thing ages ago!