Trailer Addition / Modification

paulb3375

Reaction score
So what do you reckon to my latest addition?

Do you think it will catch on?

IMG_20170622_173101 (1024x768).jpg

And it was all going so well, had bike for exactly 1 month until some numpty ran up my chufter. Gutted. Well and truly gutted.

Circa £1500 worth of damage and causing me loads of hassle ringing round etc. Bike shop have been great, insurance company less so and i'm having to do a lot of the legwork. They wanted it to go to Plantec Assist (who? no I hadn't heard of them either) and have lost interest when I wanted it to go to a proper bike shop.

Non existent updates re progress from insurance so I've no idea when i'll get it back. It's killing me missing this good weather.

This is one modification I could well and truly do without.

Stay safe folks, it's dangerous out there.

Shaun64

Reaction score
Were you hurt Paul ? Cos bike will fix,who's your insurance company? Good luck getting bike sorted.

Gruffalo

Reaction score
:eek: really sorry this happened to you and your bike. Hope you get it sorted soon (with insurance company).

Many years ago I had an off with my FZ6, the insurace company let me pay the extra to have it done at my local bike shop, somewhere in the small print it said something like if you get it repaired at one of our "partner" shops they give a discount of 15%, so I paid the extra.

paulb3375

Reaction score
Were you hurt Paul ?
Just whiplash (genuinely), didn't actually 'fall off', but neck and shoulders stiff as a board next day, and I can still feel it.

Cos bike will fix,
Too true, must start thinking like that. But you spend ages sourcing 'the one' and then some numpty ruins it for you. Bike will always be tainted with an insurance category now which affects it's value beyond bolt on bits.

paulb3375

Reaction score
who's your insurance company?
Hastings, but must resist slagging them off.

Bike been in shop since a week last Wednesday, they ring up day after to go through estimate (excellent) and email it off (excellent #2).

So it's been over a week and I hear nothing, ring Hastings up and ask 'what's the delay, are they going to authorise repairs or send an assessor out?, they say they haven't even received estimate yet.

AAaaarrrggghhh!

Back onto bike shop to ask them to re-send it, bloke who's dealing with me is off till next Tuesday.

Aaarrghh #2

Anyway they've resent it now I think.

paulb3375

Reaction score
Good luck getting bike sorted.
Cheers Shaun.

While i'm here can I just say Hello. Actually bumped into you in Hawes a long time ago now and you showed me round your Tracer. I was on a minty silver CBR600 (possibly loaded with camping gear??) if you remember. You were recommending roads up Teasdale way and i went up there soon after. Anyway, took me a while but finally got myself my own Tracer.

paulb3375

Reaction score
:eek: really sorry this happened to you and your bike. Hope you get it sorted soon (with insurance company).

Many years ago I had an off with my FZ6, the insurace company let me pay the extra to have it done at my local bike shop, somewhere in the small print it said something like if you get it repaired at one of our "partner" shops they give a discount of 15%, so I paid the extra.
Cheers, in fairness they've been OK. Been fully comp. and with them for years so was expecting a more inclusive service where THEY did the sorting and chasing up.

Hastings didn't quibble with me wanting a preferred shop, but I had to get a courier to get it there (more personal expense). So I was able to speak to shop in person and explain nature of accident to inform their investigations. They say they always call for a new wheel after a being rear ended (excellent), but now say it there's nothing wrong with it (not so excellent), so now I have more doubts about the bike.

Really is odd how something like this has changed how I feel about the bike. It's like when I do get it back eventually, will have to spend time warming to the thing again and getting my confidence back. It's a bike for Christ's sake. Like Shaun says it will fix.

Anyway, best be sometime soon 'cos I finish work in 2 weeks and have some trips planned. Doubt i'll make it somehow.

Thank all.

kev

Reaction score
I take it wasn't your fault, if you're claiming off the car driver, then get a hire bike, keep all bills and time you've spent sorting things out, it could be months before you get your bike back?

bumpyride

Reaction score
sorry to hear about your accident, glad to hear your okay ish, same shit happened to me just before Christmas last year, lost the bike for 6 weeks, and we had planned to do heaps of riding over the holidays, i used my insurance company Swan who were awesome no problems with anything and they would claim from the other guy as that to was rear end oh i didnt see you there, the only reason it took 6 weeks was because the parts had to come from japan as there were no blue wheels in OZ a the time. luckly no damage to the frame just wheel , tail light tail tidy ect, as the ute drove up onto my rear wheel, any way got it back but i still dont trust anyone behind me now even in the car, hope you get sorted soon.

rozermt09

Reaction score
I got t boned on my 5 day old wr250x... Plantec was the repair company who had my bike for 6 months before I got it back, was only waiting for a foot peg, wasn't till I said its cool bring my bike back and send the foot peg in the post, got it back. Two day latter the foot peg arrived aty address. I would not let them have another of my bikes...the only excuse they gave me was because it was a new release in the UK they was not parts back up. Funny how the Yamaha dealer could get all the parts next day.

Sent from my VFD 600 using Tapatalk

paulb3375

Reaction score
I take it wasn't your fault, if you're claiming off the car driver, then get a hire bike, keep all bills and time you've spent sorting things out, it could be months before you get your bike back?
A company called Auxillis (who?) phoned the next day to sort a hire bike, brilliant I thought, might get a nice GSA or AT out of this. After handing over all my details bloke says I won't get a hire bike, because I have use of a car bike is not a necessity so insurers will refuse to pay. Then he moves on to say we will handle repairs through Plantec Assist (who?), me thinks this is all a bit underhand, he didn't mention repair when harvesting info. I say no thanks i'll sort it locally. Auxillis then go a bit cool on the situation.

More digging, apparently they rip of other party for hire / storage costs. If you lose (doubtful) then you're liable for any shortfall and have to pay it back.

I could hire one personally, Hunts Manchester is only one I know of, they have AT's at £640 per week (ouch). It's not guaranteed I would get this back (though highly probable), insurers would obviously knock this hire period off loss of use compo because I had use of a bike then.

It just to stop you getting limos everywhere and a Multistrada for 6 months hoping other side will pay. Some correspondence mentions you have to show some restraint, just in case.

I'm getting restless though, might inquire about getting something hired for a week then I can get up Scotland as planned.

paulb3375

Reaction score
sorry to hear about your accident, glad to hear your okay ish, same shit happened to me just before Christmas last year, lost the bike for 6 weeks, and we had planned to do heaps of riding over the holidays, i used my insurance company Swan who were awesome no problems with anything and they would claim from the other guy as that to was rear end oh i didnt see you there, the only reason it took 6 weeks was because the parts had to come from japan as there were no blue wheels in OZ a the time. luckly no damage to the frame just wheel , tail light tail tidy ect, as the ute drove up onto my rear wheel, any way got it back but i still dont trust anyone behind me now even in the car, hope you get sorted soon.
Thanks, part i'm worried about taking ages is the rear subframe.

A point worthy of note is the rear light hanger thingy is bolted to a plate that is welded to and spans between the subframe rails, light hanger was pushed up and bent this. New subframe required. This is the major part (£700 ish IIRC but don't quote me on it), plus a lot of labour to swap over because of all electrics and some pump or other that needs priming.

paulb3375

Reaction score
I got t boned on my 5 day old wr250x... Plantec was the repair company who had my bike for 6 months before I got it back, was only waiting for a foot peg, wasn't till I said its cool bring my bike back and send the foot peg in the post, got it back. Two day latter the foot peg arrived aty address. I would not let them have another of my bikes...the only excuse they gave me was because it was a new release in the UK they was not parts back up. Funny how the Yamaha dealer could get all the parts next day.

Sent from my VFD 600 using Tapatalk
Yes I smelled a rat straight away, glad it's not gone there now, just got the impression they work with a lot of insurance companies by keeping repair costs to a minimum and then loading up the hire costs and 'extras'.

Why it can't it be like the old days. You crashed, local bike shop fixed it (or wrote it off!), sorted. Too many add on companies these days making money off each other off the back of a claim.

Although I am going to get personal injury / loss of use / etc claim in (25% costs, no win no fee haha).

paulb3375

Reaction score
Update;

14th July - Ring insurance to ask have they got the estimate yet. They confirm they had, bloke really helpful and was feeling my pain, reassured he said it will only be a couple of weeks now. Since labour was over £300 it would have to be assessed by their people. He seemed to click a button and initiate that process, said engineers would be there within 48hrs and their report would follow within 48hrs. So ..........

21st July - Ring bike shop, they confirm no one has been to see it yet. Ring insurance, took ages to get through, lots of erm / ah / right then / hmm from them. Seems they hadn't requested their people assess the bike after all !!!!! So they put me through and I speak directly to the engineers (Hoopers?) and tell them exactly where it is and when they can go and inspect etc. FFS why didn't we have this conversation last week !!!!

So ......

Bike has been in shop since 28th June and no one has even assessed it yet. This really is happening.

Aaaarrrggghhh !!!!

FFS do we really pay for service this sh1te.

Rant over, losing the will etc.