Tyre Choice

Jim_Royle

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Mt MT-09 needs new tyres. Any recommendations for daily ride to work bike. I'm told some of those hard in the middle tyres are good. I'm in Oz so they have to be available here.

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
I'm a Hoonigan so no idea what tyre to recommend for commuting but Continental road attack 2 is my summer tyre, pilot road 4 in winter

Luke_Price

Reaction score
Well, I'm not sure if they have Avon Storm Ultra 2 in Oz but I've just had them fitted this morning £139 for the pair. Considering I'm scrubbing them in I had instant feedback and confidence on my way home. Riding in the lovely Welsh weather...damp, greasey and they held up lovely. Enough to let me have a little play on some twisties. They let me roll into corners without sucking me in or having to force it in....Oh err...

I'll update IF we get some decent dry weather where I can chuck it around a bit. I commute in all weather bar ice and snow and these tyres have a good rating for durability so I should get some decent mileage out of them. Watch this space...

Luke_Price

Reaction score
Oh, and I had a good blast on the motorway up to 120-130 and no wobbling. Nice and sturdy.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, I'm not sure if they have Avon Storm Ultra 2 in Oz but I've just had them fitted this morning £139 for the pair. Considering I'm scrubbing them in I had instant feedback and confidence on my way home. Riding in the lovely Welsh weather...damp, greasey and they held up lovely. Enough to let me have a little play on some twisties. They let me roll into corners without sucking me in or having to force it in....Oh err...

I'll update IF we get some decent dry weather where I can chuck it around a bit. I commute in all weather bar ice and snow and these tyres have a good rating for durability so I should get some decent mileage out of them. Watch this space...
I have those on the fz8....
Had more slides in the wet than I want to tell you about. They were wank, I took them off and put them on my mates stunter....
He's used them for 3 weekends in a row stunting and they still look new... Why??? Because they are so hard.. They don't warm up too well and just spin up all over the show....!
Obviously this is only my opinion lol

solomon

Reaction score
I am on PR4's. Best tyres in my view for dry and wet combined. I ride 2 up mostly, and after 5000km very little wear on them, almost as new.

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
I'm riding on PR4s for more than 12K km on every kind of tarmac and in summer i abused my bike as an On-Off during my holidays on Greek islands.. dirt-roads, gravel-roads, sand roads.
It was amazing how easy was for the bike to ride even in rain.
They have no damage at all.
Only thing i had to do was to make softer the preload in rear ZX shock and riding in B-mode in 1st & 2nd gear.
Hope to change them at the end of the month for a new pair.
The only con is that after 10K km of use they appear a wobbling when speeding more than 180km, when new are very stable. Otherwise there is no need to reach that speed except when wheeling succesfully in a wide and empty lanes street/avenue/A-road..
Tyre wear indicators are 1-2mm before to touch the tarmac
I'll try to take a photo of them and post it.
Pilot Road 4 Rules !

Davy

Reaction score
I think the Bridgestone S20's that were standard on my bike are very good, the rear lasted about 4k and the front about 8k. Very grippy in the dry but pretty easy to spin up the rear when it's cold and wet if you're not careful. I'm on my 2nd front and 4th rear (one with a puncture).

I might try PR4's next time as I've never seen anyone say anything bad about them.

Fluke

Reaction score
Tires or Tyres

Hi Jim
Don't fuck about mate, just stick a set of the michelin PR4's on and be done with it.
Massive difference over stock.
Stable round corners and no speed wobble.

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
I must correct what i've writen a few posts above about "speed wobbling".
Today was a shiny day, calm, with no winds at all.
On a A-road i decided to check the speed that appears and i found myself running at 224km with no wobbling at all !
So, i found out that wobbling is a matter or cause of the wind's speed and direction.
PR4s are not guilty at all..
If you visit the Μichelin's site and try to find tyres for the MT-09.. you can imagine what they suggests...