Tyres

Littlebruv

Reaction score
I know there as been a number of threads concerning the original Jap Dunlops and apparently saying how bad in the wet they are supposed to be but maybe it's just the way some people must ride in the wet, the reason I am saying this is because recently I've done 2 trips to Belgium, one to Spa and the other to Chimay, both times had major downpours for about an hour, the TCS was set to 2 and mode B and the tyres were good, I was not hanging about either getting along at speed....anyone else agree who found original tyres ok
I usually keep my tyre pressures at around 40psi rear & 36psi front

Last edited:

robin

Reaction score
Mine have done 6500 miles all over England in all day down pours as well.

I think they are doing really well. Must remember to change them soon.!
2016 MT09 Tracer .

Casey

Reaction score
Mine were running on Battlax hypersport when I got my bike (only 1500 miles when I purchased) just changed the rear for the same as seem pretty good to me, only last 4K though. Were Battlax an upgrade when new?

Unfazed

Reaction score
I had the original Dunlops on my bike from new and not had a problem with them in the dry although they felt a bit wooden, not much "spring" or flex in the side wall. I was riding home in the wet one night, I commute every day on the same route and the back slid briefly going left on a roundabout. I thoug that was weird as it never happened before. The roundabout is near a garage so I thought there must have been a bit of diesel on the road. Then I went touring to the Ardennes/Eifel region and it was pretty wet for the first couple of days. The tyres scared the shit out of me, it was like they were made out of plastic with the ABS kicking in all the time and the bike slipping all over the place.

When I got back I binned them for my normal PR4's and normal service was resumed.

Morseman

Reaction score
Mine has done 4,600 miles on the Dunlops, including several downpours. Worst was going down the M1.

The Dunlops seem OK but I think I prefered the Road Pilots that I had on the MT-07 Tracer, but that was my 1st "bigger" bike so I don't have a lot to compare it with.

Last edited:

paulb3375

Reaction score
I don't mind the original Dunlops either.

I know they get slated, when I get my bike back it will come with PR4's so I'm keen to see what extra these will give over and above the OE.

Lots of talk of running lower tyre pressure in the rear (down to 36 psi?) so will have to experiment when I get it back.

TRA

Reaction score
I've only done 1000km on the OEM Dunlops, almost all of it in the hills at moderate to reasonable pace (given up full-on stuff. Please feel free to grind the undercarriage away - maybe hang off a bit more...). So far, the tyres are ok with what i think is average feedback.

Scaley

Reaction score
I never got on with the dunlops. I had a few slips on wet and dry over banding . After 5000 miles, although still plenty of tread left , I changed to a pair of trail riders for my pending Scottish tour. Fully loaded, 2000 miles of very mixed weather and fast riding in the wet they never missed a beat. Tyres are very subjective and I've never had confidence in the OEM supplied tyre on any of my bikes. I've been happiest with Avon and Michelin.

V8legend

Reaction score
I find the standard Dunlops OK, but not good. They've never given me cause for concern. However, they lack feel. In the wet, you ride waiting for something to happen, although it never has. They're not bad enough to warrant changing before they wear out. Recent road test put the Metzeler Roadtec 01 as the best. I'll probably put these on before my France trip next year.

TRA

Reaction score
I think V8legend is pretty close to what I think, though I haven't done any wet weather work. Feedback is, as I said, only what I consider to be average. I think they feel harsh, too. even though I've had no reason to complain about outright grip thus far. It's just that they don't really inspire the confidence that one hopes for.

Even though I've no intention of dumping them yet (my current opinion is that would constitute sheer waste), I've been researching replacements for down the track. The Dunlop Roadsmart 3 are looking good so far...

Btw V8legend, I see you live at Leighton Buzzard. What a wonderful name. We have friends who live in Tring and the bus from the airport went there via your village.
A bit off topic - sorry.

Last edited:

ib1-2

Reaction score
Having to change rear tyre due to ruddy great nail or something. Going for Avon Spirit ST for a change.

LewFZ1

Reaction score
20170903_123702[1].jpg This was saturday, that is me extracting it . I carry a stop and go plug kit and as I was only twenty minutes from home I rode home and then pulled the nail. One never knows it may just have been a tac, but no. I plugged it with my own kit. I am heading off in two weeks time to N Wales from SW France and back again so took the wheel off and had the tyre repaired at my local tyre shop. This tyre has only done 500kms at most, why is it always when you fit new rubber :mad:

bobh

Reaction score
Never mind, could have been worse.

I was chatting to a guy yesterday who has some upmarket Audi with 21" (!?) wheels. Car doesn't have a spare, only a compressor and a can of goo. So he repairs the tyre with goo, then takes it to his Audi dealer to get the tyre repaired.

"Sorry, Sir, we can't repair a tyre that's been filled with goo, you'll have to buy a new one at £xxx. And by the way, we don't keep that size in stock as the 21" wheels are an optional extra, it's 2-3 days delivery."

So he has to pay up, but decides to get a spare wheel, even though there's no well in the boot of that particular model for a spare. So how much is a wheel? "£1200, Sir." That's a bare wheel, without a tyre or a pressure sensor, which apparently is essential because it fits around the valve. So he's looking at nearly 2 grand for a spare, which will take up most of the luggage room in the boot!

I suggested he carries a Stop-and-Go plugger (cost approx. £20) that uses silicon plugs that don't use any goo, so at least the tyre would be repairable in future. To misquote George Orwell, "Two wheels good, four wheels bad."

Last edited:

deadb0y

Reaction score
I ran the original Dunlop front to 10500 miles - that was scary shit when cornering. Aside from the butt puckering ride quality with a badly worn front I've never had issue with the OEM tyres or the Sportmax that replaces them. At this point I'm running Bridgestone Battlax BT023 front and rear and they seem OK for now. Hard to tell though give the state the front was in, anything would feel better than that!

Going to go for a set of Continental TKC 70: TKC 70 Dual Sport Tyre | Continental Motorcycle UK next me things.. I'll get them in before the others wear out though and change them myself when the time comes.

One things that always bothers me about tyres on a powerful bike is the front lasting longer than the rear :(

bobh

Reaction score
Not come across the TKC70's. I've used TKC80's on a trail bike with success, but obviously they are a bit too offroad focussed and would wear out in no time on a MT-09. Let us know how you get on with them.

jaimef

Reaction score
I know there as been a number of threads concerning the original Jap Dunlops and apparently saying how bad in the wet they are supposed to be but maybe it's just the way some people must ride in the wet, the reason I am saying this is because recently I've done 2 trips to Belgium, one to Spa and the other to Chimay, both times had major downpours for about an hour, the TCS was set to 2 and mode B and the tyres were good, I was not hanging about either getting along at speed....anyone else agree who found original tyres ok
I usually keep my tyre pressures at around 40psi rear & 36psi front
I have had my Tracer for less than a week. It is a fantastic machine! Now to my question. The guys at the Yamaha dealer recommended 32psi front and rear -- considerably lower than Littlebruv. I'd appreciate additional thoughts. Thanks.

Littlebruv

Reaction score
Hi Jaimef
Thx for the reply. I suppose things that I have always been taught is to do with weight and setup to each owns riding preference....Weight of the rider and if carrying luggage and the way you ride.
I will not argue with the Yamaha dealers mechanics but 32psi seems low for the rear, I usually have about 36/38psi unloaded for the rear, I have not had any problems with the pressures I use on any of the bikes I have had but will always look forward to any of your replies concerning your experience with tyre pressures

ib1-2

Reaction score
Had to replace my rear recently. Fitted Avon Spirit and Avon confirmed as per handbook, 36psi front 42psi rear. Hope this helps.

Littlebruv

Reaction score
36 front and around 40 rear is more of the recommended pressures is what I usually know, 32psi is near race track pressure

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
PR4 are the best on 36/42 psi.. they appear some differrences in pressure as the weather gets colder or warmer. For summer riding 36/42 is recommended.. when in winter some lower pressure could help the "warming-up" when the tyres seems "frozen".
36/42 also helps in long milleage and life of tyres.