Uncomfortable seat

mrmortar

Reaction score
Hi all,

I know this topic has been raised numerous times on here but I've been searching this forum the last couple of days to find the definitive solution to make the Tracer's seat more comfortable to no avail.

I thought mine would bed in as some say it should but after 5000miles I still find at the magic time of 45mins I get that horrible dull ache in my posterior. The stock seat is no good - I almost suspect its because its too narrow for my wide bum but some say its because the foam is too thin (not sure it feels like that).

Aftermarket seats are so expensive. Yamaha's 'comfort' seat gets mixed reviews and i'm loathed to separate with 300 hard earned pounds in the hope it works if it doesn't. Corbin prices are extortionate which leaves me looking at a gel pads that straps on (and they look crap) or a Sargent which at 264 seems steep but if it works I'd be prepared to go for it.

The last option is gel inserts for under my bum cheeks :p

Any comments appreciated.

Wynner

Reaction score
Hi
I've managed to get a used Sargent seat but so far I've only managed to get in a 2 hour ride, for me it seems much better than stock. It's quite hard but much flatter and wider at the rear. Will know more in a couple of weeks as we're catching the ferry to Santander on Sunday and will probably do 2-3000
miles by the time we get home. I'll update you then.

mrmortar

Reaction score
Ok thanks, what covering do you have on your Sargent one? I see they do two different types

Littlebruv

Reaction score
I have a Sargent performance plus seat but with standard black piping around the edges seat for sometime now, it seems hard at first but realise once ridden a few hours with it most times I have forgotten about it and enjoyed the ride instead. Saturday I had about a 5hr ride out along the south coast and you just notice the difference of not having the original standard seat with arse ache after about 45mins.

Wynner

Reaction score
There's red piping around the edge and a seam where you sit that you'd expect to be uncomfortable but strangely is not noticeable?

Littlebruv

Reaction score
The red piping is colour of your choice, I just chose the black one but true, you don't notice it when sitting on the seat

Wynner

Reaction score
Can report favourably on the Sargent after a 2000 mile trip around the pyrenees. Probably as comfortable for me as my previous BMW R1200 RT and the wife is happier on the back too. I didn't see that coming!

ballmead

Reaction score
A cheap way out is to buy some Ebay padded cycling underwear for around $10 from China.

Sent from my Nokia 8.1 using Tapatalk

the cueball

Reaction score
I use an air comfy strap on seat when I use it to tour... not really bothered by the looks - having too much fun!

I’ve got a ‘comfort’ seat (think it’s a Sargent) on my Pan... and to be honest, I don’t think it’s any better than standard.

Wynner

Reaction score
Hi all,

I know this topic has been raised numerous times on here but I've been searching this forum the last couple of days to find the definitive solution to make the Tracer's seat more comfortable to no avail.

I thought mine would bed in as some say it should but after 5000miles I still find at the magic time of 45mins I get that horrible dull ache in my posterior. The stock seat is no good - I almost suspect its because its too narrow for my wide bum but some say its because the foam is too thin (not sure it feels like that).

Aftermarket seats are so expensive. Yamaha's 'comfort' seat gets mixed reviews and i'm loathed to separate with 300 hard earned pounds in the hope it works if it doesn't. Corbin prices are extortionate which leaves me looking at a gel pads that straps on (and they look crap) or a Sargent which at 264 seems steep but if it works I'd be prepared to go for it.

I was very lucky to find a used Sargent on ebay for £115 inc. postage. It's quite a hard seat but it's made a lot of difference to the comfort. All day with breaks is no torture any more. Now I know it suits me I would probably pay full price if I had to! Don't forget I could easily get my money back if I sell the bike as well.

Attachments

Wynner

Reaction score
Ugly but good . I have it on the lowest setting and I'm mostly looking over the top. It also seems to work for the wife on the back. If I was brave I would cut off 2 inches and have the option of using it in the higher positions but it might interfere with the airflow as it would be doing away with the flip up. It's too expensive to risk it! I had a BMW R1200RT last and that screen had no flip up and worked well?

woodie100

Reaction score
I had mine set to the lowest as I struggled to see through the rain on the screen and the visor. I have set it to the highest setting and I seem to like it at that height although I am a mere 5'7" in heels!!!
I have 'treated' it with rain X but not very successful. I also have got the comfort seat (all I've ever known with this bike) and not overly impressed but the pillion seat is lush! I sometimes sit on this for butt relief but being so short cant really reach the bars safely!

Love the bike tho'

JonB

tomd2065

Reaction score
Hi all,

Try looking on eBay for a MT09 Street Rally seat, the odd one comes up every now and then. I got one for my MT09, it gave me a bit more height and was much more comfortable than the standard seat, I managed to get if for just under £100. Obviously check to make sure it will fit you bike first.

Greenman41

Reaction score
I tried padded shorts, regular cycling shorts and the ones supposedly designed for motorcycle use, neither was much good. I also tried a strap on gel pad and that was awful, like sitting on jelly. I did find that the seat on high (with a 31” inside leg my preference would normally be low) and the bar risers turned to position the bars about 20mm further forward the seat was more comfortable, probably due to a bit more weight on my hands and feet.

Dasfergmeister

Reaction score
I bought a Shad comfort replacement seat for my MT09 and just came back from a 4 day / 800 mile tour, with barely any discomfort at all. With the previous stock seat, my backside was square after about 30 minutes max!
I also had an airhawk pad for a previous bike and that was also pretty good and much cheaper.

Timbo108

Reaction score
i got a Yamaha comfort seat for my 19 MT-09. its not perfect but way better than the original one. looks nicer too in my opinion.

paulbaker1954

Reaction score
I too found the standard seat hard and recently did a long trip round Ireland and it was a real pain in the ass!!

I got an Airhawk seat and am really pleased with it. Only problem is I am nervous leaving it on all the time as it would be easy for some rogue to nick it as it’s held on by 2 straps

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Airhawk-Dual-Sport-Seat-Cushion-Black-FA-DUALSPORT-/362716971903

But for comfort excellent, main tip is not to pit too much air in they hardy need anything

Otters Pocket

Reaction score
I went for a Tourtecs airseat, which is basically identical to Air Hawks but a lot cheaper.

Overall I don't like the effect of air seats though. Even with hardly any air in I find them you end up "rolling" with them under braking and acceleration.

JohnB

Reaction score
I watched the guy from Elite Seat Covering in West Sussex work on my seat. Believe me, there is very little padding on the standard seat! The chap chopped an inch off the standard foam (rider only for me) and then added two inches of memory foam which is softer. It has not altered the overall height by much.
The seat is much more comfortable now -but I add an Airhawk if I'm going to be in the saddle for a day ride.

P.S. He had a recovered seat from a 2016 bike (RN29) but it would definitely not fit on my 2017 RN43. I wish it had as I would have been in an out in 20 minutes.