We are both a bit Sore

Soapy

Reaction score
Didn’t get very far with my run today!

Car pulled out in front of me at the Toll of Burness Junction just a couple miles North of Ellon (Aberdeenshire)

Nearly got round him. Saw the two cars in front of him pull out so I backed off and sure enough he pulled out and once he saw me, stopped in the middle of the road.

Tried to go round the front of him but clipped the front of it and went down.

Thankfully just a few scrapes, no bones broken but my left shoulder is killing me.

No Hospital required according to the Paramedic, just painkillers.

Bike not so pretty though. Engine casing split and pished out all its oil. Big dent in the radiator and tank.

Car driver has been charged with driving without due care and attention.

Ho Hum

Advice Please!

Drivers car insurance has just phoned and said they admit full liabilty. She wanted to deal with it completely including any injury compensation and not involve my insurance.

I'm a bit dubious about that so refused her offer and said I'll let my insurance company deal with it as I want to claim for some of my kit as well.

Did I do the right thing?

Fulfilled-09

Reaction score
Glad to hear you're ok. Quite surprised that the driver's admitted fault straight away. To be honest, from what you've said, I reckon you should have sat back and waited. Was it manoeuvring speeds or evasive action?

Soapy

Reaction score
Thanks.

Maybe I didn't make it clear. I was on the main road and he intially stopped at the junction after the two in front of him had already pulled out. I had already spotted him and slowed down. He then decided to pull out and stop in the road as you can see in the picture. I tried to go round but clipped the front side of the car. I only landed about 20 feet from him.

donut

Reaction score
Absolutely done the right thing in making sure your insurance company gets involved. Always is unless it's a definite 50/50 and inexpensive and both want to meet own costs.

Do get yourself checked if you feel the slightest bit worse, but you'll know that for yourself pretty soon.

donut

Reaction score
And don't forget to add the costs of alternative transport to kit and pain/suffering.

Pretty sure that'll be a write off if you hadn't already guessed.

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score
Hope your ok.. Metal can get repaired... Agree with above, let your insurance deal with it, they will appoint their solicitor, if you need Physio, have it, go to A+E, get it on record, make a note of all expenses, including mileage to hospital, loss of earnings, medication, parking receipts, save the lot, theres also unisured losses, poss your gear wasnt covered etc etc..

You will probably have more pain after the adrenalin subsides... Thats what paramedics cant determine (as good as they are)...

Feet up and get well....

Soapy

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice folks.

The drivers insurance company phoned me directly and admitted full liability and the police charged him with driving without due care and attention so hopefully the claim will go smoothly.

I'm with Carole Nash and have Legal Cover so hopefully will be able to at least claim for some of my gear. My helmet took a hit and my jacket is torn. But I'm thankful they did there jobs.
I have a bashed LH knee and thigh but it is my shoulder that is now giving me the most grief. I can't hold it in certain positions.

Donut, do you really think it is a write off? It's only 2 1/2 years old.

If it is, can I remove all the extra's I have put on like the Sargent Seat/Arrow Exhaust and Givi Rack?

Soapy

Reaction score
I think I can safely say the adrenalin has subsided.

I was telling a biker friend what has happened and we both mused how extraordinary life is.

As mentioned in a previous post a few weeks ago I did a trip to the West Coast with 16 other bikes. The weather and the roads were fantastic and we did over a thousand miles in the long weekend but not once did I have an incident. But 10 miles from my door and I get punted off.

You have to laugh.

boro

Reaction score
Agreed with all the above, get checked as long term issues could be hidden.
With extra kit technically if its a right off it all belongs to the insurer, so you could ask to buy the bike back. Or quickly swap the old stuff back on.

donut

Reaction score
Donut, do you really think it is a write off? It's only 2 1/2 years old.

If it is, can I remove all the extra's I have put on like the Sargent Seat/Arrow Exhaust and Givi Rack?[/QUOTE]

Without knowing how much damage is done to the engine I'm guessing that the assessor will probably just price for a new one so:

engine
tank
handlebar end
clutch lever
mirror (probably)
indicator (definately front and probably rear)
screen
tank plastics
radiator
frame check/repair
footpeg (front and possibly rear)
gearlever

basically if it is scuffed it will be priced to repair or replace and with the cost of stripping and rebuilding then am guessing it'll be written off.

If it's not been assessed yet and is at home you may well be able to change your bits back but if already assessed then any price you are given if it is wriiten off will be based on what was on it when assessed although you may negotiate a lower price to get the bits back that you want.