Welcome to MT-09 / FZ-09 Forum!

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Welcome to the new Yamaha MT-09 / FZ-09 Forums... this is a pretty exciting bike, and a great new release for Yamaha.

I would love to hear what attracted you to this site and this motorcycle in particular.

Marlboromt

Reaction score
Hi chaps,

I'm new member and have had my MT-09 for a month now. Starting to come together now. Had a Marlboro paint job and fitted the akrapovic! Quick shifter and power commander next month.

mtside.jpg

L J

Last edited:

matt.b

Reaction score
Found via google, came to the mt09 after a long time riding v-twin bikes. Looking for something a bit different.

woodie100

Reaction score
Hello! Ive had a run of V twins also 750SS duke, Sv650S and now the MT09 Tracer. What an all round bike this is, so responsive across the rev range. Pulls virtually from any gear at any speed. so nimble too. owned her for 3 weeks now and V twins are a distant memory. V happy to be back on in line cylinders. Dont get me wrong the 2 V twins were awesome bikes but nothing beats an in line cylinder bike.

Found this forum via Google too.

Regards

JonB

upstatemt09

Reaction score
hello everyone I just bought a 2018 mt-09 0 miles.
I will up load pics when I take some.
i have ordered a austin racing exaust de catted. has anyone used this exuast and dos anyone know if it will throw any codes with out a tune.
I will eventually tune it just for now bolt on and go.

upstatemt09

Reaction score
Should be ok just to bolt straight on ....welcome to the forum
I bought the power commander and auto tuner are they worth it. some one told me there junk and to get a flash the thing is I dont want to send the ECU out i just want to plug and go and idc about getting every last bit out of the bike just to correct any issues with air fuel and i felt the power commander and auto tuner would be better. any experience with this?

fizzy

Reaction score
I can definitely recommend the flash from S-tec it's nomaly a 4 day turn around if you post off your ecu, look at the post on hear for more details everyone who has had it done are totally impressed with it, Simon knows the mt range inside out and can advise you on what is available from your bike and his back up service is second to none

Last edited:

woodie100

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome to this great forum! its a shame that you don't have the time to use your MT09, whereabouts are you?
JonB

SteveS

Reaction score
Hello, I am debating getting a MT 09 or possibly a KTM 790 Duke. I'm here to read first hand owner experience. I've had a lot of Motorcycles. This is the first time I've ever contemplated a new bike. Thank you all in advance for your help making this decision.

the cueball

Reaction score
Hi Steve,

Since this is a Yamaha forum the answers here might be a bit one sided! Lol

have you asked the same question on KTM forum?

All I can say is, in the time I’ve had my MT, 2 of my mates got dukes.

one has sold his already after a year, the other has had around 14 warranty claims - and now has a XSR too.

my bike has been fine and done many trouble free miles.

KTM isn’t a brand that interest me, so can’t comment on riding them.

SteveS

Reaction score
Yes, I've been on a KTM 790 board for a little while and that is what brought me here.
I've seen a lot of coolant leaks and just now some ECU problems over there.

I like twins and lighter bikes that's why I was leaning that way. The MT 09 looks to be an attractive option for me. Possibly a Tracer GT, but that price. I wouldn't mind adding another Yamaha to the garage. I like a lot of the design elements on our TTR 125 and that adds confidence.

You've had no problems with your bike?
Do you have an MT 09?
Does it have the quick shifter? If so how do you like it?
Do you like the TC And ABS?
Have you panniers or a tail bag or do you use a tank bag?
Did you find any issues with any of those luggage options?

Thanks very much for your interest cueball and Happy Trails!

the cueball

Reaction score
MT09.

no issues, there was 1 recall for a minor thing with the headstock something or other... nothing major and it was fixed within 20 minutes

I put my own quick shifter on, not a Yamaha one - it’s great made by Healtech, I also have gp/reverse shift.

I’ve also upgraded the suspension, it’s a bit limited in standard form.

I hate the ABS and traction control - I switch that off all the time, wish I could do the same with the ABS.

it’s not that they’re bad, I just hate electronics on a bike.

when I tour, I use a small tank bag and a roll bag for the rear...

C0E31C5B-5C9F-444E-AEE2-32DD7D48DABA.jpeg

SteveS

Reaction score
Woof! That is a big bag.
Thanks for responding, I hope you don't mind a few more questions.
What do you mean by limited suspension? You couldn't adjust out of a mushy or a hard feeling?
Looks a lot better with a tail Tidy.
What quick shifter did you use and was there a reason for not using the factory one?
That's a nice looking ride!
Thanx again

the cueball

Reaction score
Yeah the bag is a touch big, but goes with the colour of the bike and I only paid £20 for it! Lol

suspension is just a bit budget, mine is a 2016 model so I didn’t have any adjustment in the back and the springs/oil were too light for my chunky frame lol.

Too much dive in the front end, even with more preload added. All very easy to sort out, so I stuck an ohlins in the rear and hyperpro springs with heavier oil and set the suspension up for me...

I went with the Healtech shifter as, again being a 2016 model, there was no official one to use.

I think Yamaha has sorted the suspension and added nice things over the years like the quickshifter, maybe someone with a newer model can confirm.

I like messing around and changing things anyway, so it never bothered me and I don’t see the point in getting a newer version.

I also have the ECU flash done by Simon at S-tech... I would say another must have...

SteveS

Reaction score
Yeah the bag is a touch big, but goes with the colour of the bike and I only paid £20 for it! Lol

suspension is just a bit budget, mine is a 2016 model so I didn’t have any adjustment in the back and the springs/oil were too light for my chunky frame lol.

Too much dive in the front end, even with more preload added. All very easy to sort out, so I stuck an ohlins in the rear and hyperpro springs with heavier oil and set the suspension up for me...

I went with the Healtech shifter as, again being a 2016 model, there was no official one to use.

I think Yamaha has sorted the suspension and added nice things over the years like the quickshifter, maybe someone with a newer model can confirm.

I like messing around and changing things anyway, so it never bothered me and I don’t see the point in getting a newer version.

I also have the ECU flash done by Simon at S-tech... I would say another must have...
So what exaczdoes it mean to "flash the ECU" I've never owned a bike with FI before so I'm a little behind.