What brand and type of oil ?

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
Hi guys, now i have 4.300 km and in a few days i have to ghange the oil at 5.000..
So i must choose between 4 brands that are suggested by other riders for a modern engine as MTs.
All of them are fully synthetic.
The first is the (new) IPONE 10w-50
The second is the AGIP 10w-60
The third is the MOTOREX 10w-60
and the fourth is the MOTUL 7100 10w-60
A friiend of mine who owns a Tiger 1050 suggests me the AGIP as first (and best) option or the new IPONE as alternative.
Both of them makes softer transmision changes and had enough strength to lubricate and protect our engines for 5.000km.
What do you think about ?

marcusfordus

Reaction score
Yes on the Castrol but not hot enough for me to need 50 here in the UK.

Very good oil and still looks good when I've drained it at service times.

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Yes on the Castrol but not hot enough for me to need 50 here in the UK.

Very good oil and still looks good when I've drained it at service times.
So i think you use 5w-40 .... but the manual suggests that the minnor sae is 10...
Imagine that when i have parked the bike on sunshine for a few hours, the starting temperature of cooling fluid is 41C or even more allready..but untill now i've never see the temp increase more than 102C on traffic jam & lights.
i'm looking for an oil that keeps the "smoothness" of transmision for 5000km

Last edited:

exbanditabuser

Reaction score
try the yamalube from the main dealer fully synthetic 10/40w, this is reccommended by the dealer and wont effect your warranty if you use genuine parts and do the service yourself. assuming you are competant enough and as per service manual.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wudnt bother with fully. Semi will do just fine. If u use fully u will find that the clutch slips a tad..... And THAT was recommended by my dealership.

ACE CAFE MEET FRIDAY 27th JUNE @ 6pm

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
I wudnt bother with fully. Semi will do just fine. If u use fully u will find that the clutch slips a tad..... And THAT was recommended by my dealership.

ACE CAFE MEET FRIDAY 27th JUNE @ 6pm

Same said my mechanic but YAMALUBE 10w-40 is only semi-synthetic and now (i did 4000km on it) the gearbox is very noisy 1000km ago...
The dealer said that he can put any oil i decide to buy.
So tomorow morning i'll go and buy one of the olis below:

1) Castrol Power1 Racing 10w-50
2) Bel-Ray EXS 10w-50
3) Red-Line 10w-40

Castrol & Redline are full synthetic
Bel-Ray is synthetic ester

I cannot understand why those oils are suitable for engines of R6 or R1 and not for the 3line MT..

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
So, i just came back from 5000km service..
After the suggestions of yamaha mechanics & TT, i finally put 3 liters of ELF moto-tech 10w-50 semisynthetic, witch i bought for 7 euros per liter (it was "special offer" from ELF).
Change oil filter, tense a little the drive chain, took off the back light, repair the drivers of screws and put it back, realize that my gas had no slack, and stiff the compression rebound only 1/4 back from hard at the front and fully hard at the rear.
The spring preload at the front is still all the rings out (showing) and at 5 for the rear suspension.
It is quite good for my 70kg body weight and the mechanic suggests me not to give preload at both ends but try to find balance by rebound.
So i pay 21 euros for 3lt of oil and 20 euros for oil filter and work.
Plus 10 euros tip to the mechanic who had change the abs unit and CCT at the past without asking for anything (now was payback time for me because he is nice person)..

P.S. They informed me that MT-09 has very cheap parts.For example the front forks cost 270 euros each one..

Edward Cook

Reaction score
oil is not oil....car oil is NOT the same as motorcycle oil.... car oils have friction modifiers in them which is great from engines but bad for wet clutches...DO NOT BUY CAR OIL FOR YOUR WET CLUTCH MOTORCYCLE....this will make your clutch slip..if you did use it drain it and use motorcycle oil and most times problem will fix itself..no need to change out clutch plates unless they have become glazed or burnt...the yamalube semi synth 10-50 wt is and great oil and after using it in my yz450f for 3 seasons there is still little to no wear on internal parts..highly recommend.

Mtpete

Reaction score
Motul 300v is 100% synthetic and for this is not suitable for our triple engines... i used it in my previous KTM and in DL650 at sae 15w-50.
Unfortunately is not recomended for MT-09.
Compare between Yamalube semi 10w-40 and ELF semi 10w-50....... winner is ELF by K.O.:cool:
Mine is sae 10w-50w, are you sure it's not suitable for the triple? I asked my Yamaha dealer for the best and he assured me it is the best for this bike.

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Mine is sae 10w-50w, are you sure it's not suitable for the triple? I asked my Yamaha dealer for the best and he assured me it is the best for this bike.
I'm confused about the brand and type of the oil you are talking about.
If you mean fully synthetic... is not the best for our engines and maybe cause slip-clutch problems as i mentioned few months ago.
The 10w-50 i use is semi-synthetic.
Also Bell-Ray has a new EXS 10w-50 but is not reccomended for the 850cc triple. Better to use a semi EXP in 10w-40 which i'll try on the winter oil change.
Here in Greece there is not any Yamalube 10w-50 imported, semi or full...

Mtpete

Reaction score
I'm confused about the brand and type of the oil you are talking about.
If you mean fully synthetic... is not the best for our engines and maybe cause slip-clutch problems as i mentioned few months ago.
The 10w-50 i use is semi-synthetic.
Also Bell-Ray has a new EXS 10w-50 but is not reccomended for the 850cc triple. Better to use a semi EXP in 10w-40 which i'll try on the winter oil change.
Here in Greece there is not any Yamalube 10w-50 imported, semi or full...
Sorry new to forum so I didn't see you post a few months ago but clutch slip problems with full synthetic? That's news to me I've had full syn in almost every bike I've owned (road/off road ) and never had a slip problem yet. Maybe if you use a cheap one, I don't know, I've always gone with quality.

Kinjane

Reaction score
Isn't the UK service interval every 6,000 miles?

So if your first service was at 600 miles, you restart the service odometer making the next one due at 6,600 or one year later.

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Yes Makfai you have send me the same information again about one month ago.. and i knew all these since the day i'd read my owners manual, when i bought the bike last April.
But (cleverally) the manual doesn't mentioned what kind of oil, semi or full synthetic.
Our discussion is about if the full-synthetic may cause "clutch-slip" problems and that is for sure according my Yamaha-mechanic and Triple Trouble's opinion.

P.S. I'll be glad if some MT/FZ-09 owners post their experience with full-synthetic oil in their engines.
Also, the longest period for an oil to protect the engine is no more than 5.000km NOT at 5.000 miles.
All my life i change oil/oil filter every 3.000km except of KTM LC-4, in whitch i did the changes every 2.500km using Motul 300V.
My MT-09 is the only bike that i leave the oil inside the engine for so long...

Last edited:

Mtpete

Reaction score
Yes Makfai you have send me the same information again about one month ago.. and i knew all these since the day i'd read my owners manual, when i bought the bike last April.
But (cleverally) the manual doesn't mentioned what kind of oil, semi or full synthetic.
Our discussion is about if the full-synthetic may cause "clutch-slip" problems and that is for sure according my Yamaha-mechanic and Triple Trouble's opinion.

P.S. I'll be glad if some MT/FZ-09 owners post their experience with full-synthetic oil in their engines.
Also, the longest period for an oil to protect the engine is no more than 5.000km NOT at 5.000 miles.
All my life i change oil/oil filter every 3.000km except of KTM LC-4, in whitch i did the changes every 2.500km using Motul 300V.
My MT-09 is the only bike that i leave the oil inside the engine for so long...
I'm due for an oil/filter change in about 1000 km I'll post my experience with the full syn is it all unfolds, but so far so good. As for what is the "best" I think many an argument has been had between people who like semi,full or mineral oil. There is no right or wrong answer just personal preference as long as it meets the manufactures specs. My advice to any one would be stay away from the cheap stuff you do get what you pay for, I don't think anyone will argue with that.