What competition would you choose for a MT-09 comparative review?

twins19

Reaction score
Hi, guys,

My friends have a motorcycle media project, and they want to make a comparative review for a MT-09 (2017). They would really use some suggestions from Yamaha MT-09 fans. So, is there any specific competitor would you pick for such a test? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

They already made a track comparison movie on MT-09 vs. MT-07 vs. FZ-06 available here: Yamaha Track Shootout: MT-09 vs. MT-07 vs. FZ-06

Cheers!

bobh

Reaction score
I'd suggest the Kawasaki Z900.

I've not ridden one, though I did test ride a Z800 a couple of years ago and was impressed. I'm told the Z900 is better all round, and lighter too.

When I bought my MT-09 a year ago the Z800 was a possibility, but the lower weight of the MT, plus the free Akrapovic exhaust, swung it for me.

PM2017

Reaction score
BobH,

Beginning to wish I had seriously looked at the Z900 instead of the MT 09 if that's not heresy on this forum!
Perhaps my Yamaha dealer will sort out my fuelling issues this weekend and I'll be a happy MT 09 owner once again!

Paul

Val

Reaction score
Triumph Street Triple IMO no other bike with the same cc can compete with MT09 handling.

LewFZ1

Reaction score
You'll be thinking of the Speed triple?

Paul
Thanks Paul I stand corrected just looking at the specs looks to be interesting , now that could be worth a test ride to see how it stacks up, re build quality and handling without having to spend a small fortune on suspension.

Shaun64

Reaction score
I'd suggest the Kawasaki Z900.

I've not ridden one, though I did test ride a Z800 a couple of years ago and was impressed. I'm told the Z900 is better all round, and lighter too.

When I bought my MT-09 a year ago the Z800 was a possibility, but the lower weight of the MT, plus the free Akrapovic exhaust, swung it for me.
I had alook around the new z900 a few weeks ago and it's very nice the frame looks good,plus there's no rider mode bollocks,I've read a few write ups they say it has smooth throttle response decent suspension,if I were to buy a naked bike again then I would test ride the z900.

LewFZ1

Reaction score
Is it a triple > And what is it weigh in at? Kawasaki have been fannying around this range of bike for a few years now Z750, then the Z800 now the Z900, they will need to get the weight right.

Shaun64

Reaction score
Is it a triple > And what is it weigh in at? Kawasaki have been fannying around this range of bike for a few years now Z750, then the Z800 now the Z900, they will need to get the weight right.
210 kg with fuel same as a tracer,a lot depends were the weight is,£8300 or £8900 with fancy slip on can & a few other bits.

LewFZ1

Reaction score
Kawasaki playing catch up, I did enjoy my Z1000SX which I had from new and kept for nearly 3 years. Paint work was soft though , I had to get the swing arm repainted after 18 months.

Shaun64

Reaction score
When you think about it Lew there's nowt to touch the mt09 it's not perfect but it can be sorted.

Morseman

Reaction score
Anyone done a serious comparison between the Triumph Tiger 800 and the MT-09 Tracer?