What suspension settings are you using?

aceofhearts

Reaction score
My Tracer is currently at the factory suspension settings but sometimes i find it a bit hard and find it 'skips' over bumps. Do any of you guys find the same and what have you set you suspension to? I will try the factory 'soft' settings and see if that helps but to be honest i don't know a lot about setting up bike suspension so thought I would ask what you guys are finding :)

ETA

I am about 12.5 stone if that makes any difference?

taylord

Reaction score
Bouncy Bouncy

Hi
Do you get Bike Magazine? There's a review of the Tracer in the July Edition. Mike Armitage reckons the suspension is a bit too stiff for his 9.5 stone. I think it's a matter of preference. I didn't know there were "factory" soft settings. I might look into them myself as I'm also finding the suspension a bit hard on roughish surfaces.

My Toy

Reaction score
I get bike mag regularly and can't believe what they wrote about the MT in its initial test and long term report. They gave it five stars, never in a million years should it have got five stars. If it hadn't been for people on here sharing their mods and me then choosing to upgrade the suspension and fuelling (ZX10 shock and O2 controller) I'd have seriously considered selling, and I love the look of the bike and the strength of the motor. Curiously it appears in the bike guide at the back with four stars. [emoji19]

A vee four and an inline triple, the two best sounds in motorcycling. [emoji101]

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
My Tracer is currently at the factory suspension settings but sometimes i find it a bit hard and find it 'skips' over bumps. Do any of you guys find the same and what have you set you suspension to? I will try the factory 'soft' settings and see if that helps but to be honest i don't know a lot about setting up bike suspension so thought I would ask what you guys are finding :)

ETA

I am about 12.5 stone if that makes any difference?
The only thing you can do at the rear stock shock is to reduce the Rebound by turning the bolt that is at the top of the shock and is showing from the left side of frame.
To reduce the rebound you must turn the bolt counterclockwise.
At mine (before put the ZX shock) i liked it full soft (fully CCW) when spring's preload was at 4...
I did the same at front forks with the difference that i liked it half a turn from full soft.
Keep on mind that "soft" means "slow" and "hard" means "fast" rebound action.

aceofhearts

Reaction score
Cheers guys, I will get the July Bike magazine If it is still in the shops, and try the softer rebound settings.

I am almost ready for the first service on the bike now and really enjoying it so far. 90% of the time I find the suspension great, and it handles really well. Its just down some of the rougher roads I go down it does feel too hard (almost as stiff as my old 748!) Its definitely not a deal breaker but just something I feel can be improved upon since it is only used for commuting at the moment. I will let you know how i get on :cool:

MJ09

Reaction score
UK, Midlands between coventry and Birmingham
Hi guys, I agree that the suspension feels too hard, actually I think it could just be "crude" and down to the basic (cheap) standard shock.

I have softened the rear spring one notch (and forks) but added a couple of clicks of rebound (there is a bumpy lane near Meriden that throws me out of the seat every time...)

I was planning to invest in a higher quality shock after running in, I am thinking that higher quality damping will allow a softer spring and the ride should then improve.

My last Bike was a Tiger 800, this had a MUCH better ride on the same roads.

I note forum mentions of a ZX10 shock. Has anyone tried any aftermarket shocks yet?

Like others, I wonder how the bike mags have not mentioned this (and the very noisy screen, again, much worse than the Triumph, I have a short Powerbronze screen on order)

Cheers

adam

Reaction score
Ive gone the other way and woundnthe front down to three rings, half a turn on the right shock and half a turn on the rear. I've left the spring alone. I'm 13st on the dot and had the same on my MT09. I must just lije the harsh ride!

Carbon Akra is going on tonight!!

Sibbo46

Reaction score
I'm 14.5 stone and found the standard settings too harsh. I have the the rear on lowest setting and the front on 1 ring from minimum. This is fine for winter but not good for dry sunny days. I find the front gets better with speed but the rear too harsh on std setting and too wallowy on soft setting. Might try MCT in the spring. Although if they announce an MT10 Tracer I might hang on for a bit.

trevorleigh

Reaction score
I am about 14.5 stone also, I have an MT09 and a Tracer and actually found the suspension to soft on both, the Tracer rear shock has different valuing to the MT09. On the Tracer After setting the static sag on the preload I gave the rear 2 clicks more rebound damping and it is now fine for me. I have firmed up the front to match as well with two more rings of preload and 3 click of rebound. I could not get the MT how I liked it on the back so I replaced the cheap Yamaha unit with a Maxton.

Spook99

Reaction score
Trevorleigh, you either have the perfect wife or none at all.......... An 09 and a Tracer, nicely done!