Which engine bars do you recommend

TYKE

Reaction score
another newby question,

I'm considering fitting some engine protection bars on my 2018 Tracer 900 GT

There seems to be several options available...... I would like to fit them myself so an 'easier ' installation is preferable.

I will not be taking my bike off road

I would appreciate any help/suggestions. Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Littlebruv

Reaction score
another newbie question,

There seem to be several options available...... I would like to fit them myself so an 'easier ' installation is preferable.

I will not be taking my bike off-road

Most appear to have the Givi bars fitted, I myself have the SW Motech type but it's to everyone's preference

TYKE

Reaction score
Thank you,

I have done some research and it seems that SW Motech are a very good option, (I had Givi on my last Versys 1000) Givi are sturdy but often more difficult to fit, I found some Touratech bars which look good but are listed as 2015 - 2017 so it looks like the SW Motech are the best choice

Thanks again for your help/advice

ninjaef

Reaction score
FEHLING, all the way. They're on mine since new, had 1 slow tip and they did their job , requiring only minor touch up with a paint brush - all good.
20190615_125408~2.jpg

TYKE

Reaction score
Thanks ninjaef, Advice appreciated

I decided to fit some Motech bars which should be arriving in the post any day

mikethebike

Reaction score
another newby question,

There seems to be several options available...... I would like to fit them myself so an 'easier ' installation is preferable.

I will not be taking my bike off road

Hi I have had Givi engine bars on my 2016 MT09 Tracer for all its life. Easy to fit.

TYKE

Reaction score
Cheers Mike I had Givi bars on a couple of Versys 1000s I owned and they are very substantial bars, on this occasion I decided to try the Motech option ( I'm not planning on putting them to the test though) :D

TYKE

Reaction score
I ordered some S W Motech bars from Brooksbarn parts who inform me that due to Covid virus there will be a delay in supply beyond the predicted delivery date of today, which is irritating but a sign of the times I guess.

bobh

Reaction score
I have SW-Motech on my 2015-model bike, and they are certainly very substantial. I've had Givi previously on other bikes and, as mentioned, they can be a pain to fit because they aren't always very accuraely made.

Looking at the SW-Motech website there are two versions, with slightly different mountings depending on the model year of the bike, but the general shape looks the same. I don't think either of them would give full protection to the engine, so I'd recommend adding some basic sliders, which attach to the lower engine casings on either side - quite cheap and available from M&P or direct from China. These do work, at least for a low-speed drop.

TYKE

Reaction score
Cheers Bob, thanks for the advice I'll look into that option .... I'm still waiting for my SW Motech bars to arrive, I hope they fit ok after this long wait

I definitely ordered bars specific to my 2018 bike

Littlebruv

Reaction score
I fitted a set of SW MOTECH bars on my Tracer 900, easy to fit, just follow everything the instructions say and remember to torque set the bolts

TYKE

Reaction score
I will, thanks for the advice which is appreciated

TYKE

Reaction score
Have now installed the S W Motech bars which are very substantial, solid and relatively easy to fit

Littlebruv

Reaction score
I fitted an R&G rear hugger and fender extender, no issues after 3 years

TYKE

Reaction score
I purchased Pyramid Plastics versions, I've since heard a couple of negative comments about their products, so am now not sure what to do as I don't want to fit them only to find that they split

bobh

Reaction score
I've fitted Pyramid fender extenders to several bikes, no problem. The earlier ones used self-tapping screws, but more recently they've gone to plastic rivets, which are much neater.

TYKE

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up Bobh, in the past I've fitted R&G extenders which have proved very good

I'll fit the Pyramid Plastics ones as they seem quite well made

Thanks again (y)