Which GPS to choose?

Stripy

Reaction score
Time to prepare for the big Tour to Th'Alps in July...

Have anyone got the either GPS mount or the iPhone case holder on their bike yet?

Considering to get either:

1) Garmin Zümo 390LM
2) TomTom Rider 2013
3) Keep using my iPhone-with-case-on-handlebars

flydnb

Reaction score
use your mobile I reckon, don't need to carry extra things, I use a Samsung galaxy note 2 and the sat nav on maps is fine for my needs.

psychoattractor

Reaction score
I use my iphone, and a waterproof handlebar case off eBay for a fiver. I'll look out the link later. Also a battery to car lighter lead purchased from
eBay as well.

At the end of the day, It all depends on your roaming costs

Matt Grey. Loads of carefully considered extras, all sourced as cheaply as possible of course!

Stripy

Reaction score
I use my iphone, and a waterproof handlebar case off eBay for a fiver. I'll look out the link later. Also a battery to car lighter lead purchased from
eBay as well.

At the end of the day, It all depends on your roaming costs
Cheers, i have got the case already and just got the USB charger fitted on Friday morning, so i can charge camera and phone.

Last year, i had my iPhone on the handlebars, and enjoyed it somehow, but also somehow found it to be a hassle.
We got a file of waypoints from the tour guide, but the poor Tomtom on iPhone, can only handle a few waypoints (as in "travel via") and is quite limited, specially if you have 50 or so waypoints a day :)
Next to that, the lack of using with gloves and bad viewing in sun makes me consider the other two options.

psychoattractor

Reaction score
Ahh, I use google maps on the iphone, it's a free download and out performs my actual Tomtom everytime!

Matt Grey. Loads of carefully considered extras, all sourced as cheaply as possible of course!

Cypher

Reaction score
I use my Nokia 925 as a satnav. Nokia's maps are outstanding, can't recommend them enough. A bit expensive if you don't use it as a phone but if you do, it's a nice bit of electronics.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I use the "maps" on my iPhone and have it in my pocket. I just link it to my Bluetooth headset attached to my helmet and Siri gives me directions as and when.

MT-09 Wheelie Wheelie mental.....!

Stripy

Reaction score
I use the "maps" on my iPhone and have it in my pocket. I just link it to my Bluetooth headset attached to my helmet and Siri gives me directions as and when.
Yes, and i have used Maps quite a few times - like it compared to TomTom, and find it pretty accurate, when the goal is getting the easiest and/or fastest route between A and B.

I don't mind the data charges that can occur, but we will not be riding any motorway, except until Paris - and as far as i know, there is now option to deselect motorway or anything similar in the Maps app?

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, and i have used Maps quite a few times - like it compared to TomTom, and find it pretty accurate, when the goal is getting the easiest and/or fastest route between A and B.

I don't mind the data charges that can occur, but we will not be riding any motorway, except until Paris - and as far as i know, there is now option to deselect motorway or anything similar in the Maps app?
If people are "concerned" about data charges. I also use a navigation app called skobbler. U initially download any of the maps u need. UK, Europe etc and then u can use it off line in the same way as maps, tomtom or google maps. I use it a lot of there is poor phone reception/signal...as it triangulates and tracks ur phone signal not ur GPS output

W8ENN

Reaction score
Ive downloaded tomtom on the iPhone, wired up a USB socket and I'll be ordering a Tigra Bikeconsole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ive downloaded tomtom on the iPhone, wired up a USB socket and I'll be ordering a Tigra Bikeconsole

Any pics or a "how to" explanation?

W8ENN

Reaction score
Picked up the USB from eBay for $20

psychoattractor

Reaction score

Google maps app does let you deselect motorways, as my mate was on L plates we had to avoid motorways. Which made for an awesome route into the Lake District.

Try it, it's free, apple recommends it over their own maps app which was a disaster at launch.

I also hear great things about skobbler, and as the man said it has an offline mode.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Bunch of thecno nerds ! felt tip pen directions straight on your tank ! DUH ......:cool:
Lol. I've taken to strapping a compass to the handle bars and then just bluetac the map to ur tank. Job done.