Which quick release tankbag system?

J.J.B.

Reaction score
In response to the 'tank' bag question and not the 'tail' bag question, I'm really pleased with the Givi 15L bag that uses their Tanklok system and requires a BF23 adapter ring. Be careful that the ring you get is from their latest manufactured batch though as there have been problems with the first lot not allowing enough clearance from the tank's plastic mouldings at the top of the tank, leading to incomplete engagement of the locking system and bags coming off. It can be 'fixed' but it should work right in the first place. Both SW Motech systems require the scaffolding locking system that can be seen from the moon as these guys produce the OEM parts for Yamaha's luggage system.

glaik0562

Reaction score
In response to the 'tank' bag question and not the 'tail' bag question, I'm really pleased with the Givi 15L bag that uses their Tanklok system and requires a BF23 adapter ring. Be careful that the ring you get is from their latest manufactured batch though as there have been problems with the first lot not allowing enough clearance from the tank's plastic mouldings at the top of the tank, leading to incomplete engagement of the locking system and bags coming off. It can be 'fixed' but it should work right in the first place. Both SW Motech systems require the scaffolding locking system that can be seen from the moon as these guys produce the OEM parts for Yamaha's luggage system.
I have this one with no issues, very handy.

basmati

Reaction score
Does the bag lie flat on the tank?

basmati

Reaction score
No. the Givi bags sit just above the tank if you're worried about them rubbing on the paint.
No, actually just the opposite. I am worried it is just attached to the tank ring and otherwise hovering freely, leaving a wedge like gap.

donut

Reaction score
No, actually just the opposite. I am worried it is just attached to the tank ring and otherwise hovering freely, leaving a wedge like gap.
Have toured a bit with them a couple of times (1000 miles each time approx) and not had a problems.

The weight is taken by the tank ring that it rests on and even if it should come off somehow then it's supported by arms and body just like any other tank bag.

kim.milde

Reaction score
I have the oem city tank bag with quick release (2 sec on, 1 sec off) and I really like it, because its not that high so I can see the speedo while i drive..

basmati

Reaction score
I have the oem city tank bag with quick release (2 sec on, 1 sec off) and I really like it, because its not that high so I can see the speedo while i drive..
I am also interested in the Yamaha City - can you post pictures on how it fits? Which ring did you use the original Yamaha or the SWM-EVO?

Stripy

Reaction score
I've got the touring one, and with that, you can't see the speedo - but, to be honest, i'm struggling to see a sensible use of the space the offer, but its not really value for money for what you get.
Previously i had a magnetic tank bag, which i think i'd go for again - the problem can be the shape of the tank.
Unfortunately, i haven't got one to test my self atm

kim.milde

Reaction score
I am also interested in the Yamaha City - can you post pictures on how it fits? Which ring did you use the original Yamaha or the SWM-EVO?
I do got the MT-09, and not the tracer. but I will post a picture anyway.. 2015-09-20 15.59.31.jpg2015-09-20 15.59.51.jpg

got the original yamaha ring.

Tracer1

Reaction score
I have the Yamaha City bag and it's great to be honest, holds lots of stuff, doesn't obscure the speedo / display and seems rock solid on the bike

basmati

Reaction score
I have the Yamaha City bag and it's great to be honest, holds lots of stuff, doesn't obscure the speedo / display and seems rock solid on the bike
How does it fit at the sloping side (towards the driver)? Which ring did you use: the weird Yamaha one or the SWM-EVO?

Tracer1

Reaction score
How does it fit at the sloping side (towards the driver)? Which ring did you use: the weird Yamaha one or the SWM-EVO?
Hi mate, I have the yamaha tank lock / ring. It will only fit on one way, with the sloping side towards you and the other side towards the screen.

basmati

Reaction score
Hi mate, I have the yamaha tank lock / ring. It will only fit on one way, with the sloping side towards you and the other side towards the screen.
Sorry to have been unclear: does the shape of the bag follow the shape of the tank well?

Tracer1

Reaction score
Yes it does mate, very well. i'll take a pic for you when I get a moment.

basmati

Reaction score
Meantime I fitted the SW-Motech ring (which comes with a 15 mm spacer to be placed between top ring and bag) and the Yamaha "City" bag.
Leaving the spacer away first to try and achieve the closest possible fit did not work because of the black plastic decoration. With the spacer fitted it is no problem at all - and the gap between bag and tank is not too bad either.
Maybe I'll try to reduce the thickness of the spacer in future, but it is not really neccessary.