Yamaha Demo Day, i Rode MT-09 and....

dragon05

Reaction score
i loved everything about it apart from the suspension and the steering shake at hight speed. The front end just feels light through the corners, my initial thoughts are it need more weight on the front end to make it feel more planted and give more feedback through the bars. As for the steering shake, fark me, from 120kms upwards it's actually quite bad. Surely needs a steering damper to calm things down.

Can i ask what anyone has done or can do to improve this? Maybe drop the forks a tad, and wind up the preload on the springs, both front and rear.

If this can be solved i'll buy one tomorrow. I need something to commute on, but also want something fun for twisties on the weekend. Will not be tracking it as i have a daytona for that purpose!

PS, love the motor, what a pearler!

Any advise would be appreciated everyone!

flydnb

Reaction score
ok for a start at 120kmh which is about 77 mph I think the bike should be completely stable I cruise on the motorway at 95 mph completely stable and planted and the front end needs getting used to if you are used to sports bikes it can feel a bit vague but not dangerous and not as bad as an adventure bike, the suspension can be sorted for about 600 gbp which still makes the bike great value, I think you should check the tyre pressures of the demo you rode and your riding position etc.

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
Most of the demo bikes are hardly abused.... flydnb is right about tyre pressure..
Mine is completely stock, not shaking at all, even on 225km (actually there is an effort of the front wheel to take-off the ground)..
Rear shock is "bouncy", every owner knows that, but we can used to ride it..
Lowering of front fork is only bad on 09..
"hang loose" on handlebars dissapears any shake:cool:

Frugaltail

Reaction score
Just relax when you ride. Nice soft elbows help and so does a loose grip. To be fair I do think that the s20 are a slightly more nervous tyre then most past 70, but not tragically bad. The springs are very soft and bouncy but that's not a problem as it's cheap and easy to amend. A lot of your stability worries will probably be down to your day to day experience of the Daytona that tracks perfectly and is designed to be stable at extreme speed. I imagine a naked bike will be a big shock! When I first converted from sports bike I thought I needed a steering damper too, I didn't get one in the end and now its a shock when I go back to sports bike.

stevecbr

Reaction score
Was it on standard tyres? The MT09 should be stable flat out on the correct tyres. I fitted mine with Bridgestones BT023's, they are not suitable for the bike, and make it handle like you describe.
On the original Bridgestone S20's it was fine, even flat out.
As for suspension, firm everything up, and increase rear preload up to 6, there are lots of threads about suspension.
I use mine for commuting and fast ride outs, I find it handles great, nothing wrong with the front end

Locksmith

Reaction score
The front preload may well have needed stiffening up. When I rode a demo I thought the same about the front feeling very light.
Stiffen it up and all is well!

dragon05

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses everyone, the tyres were standard Bridgestones. Yes i am used to a sports bike with lots of weight on the front wheel plus steering dampner so i guess it was a bit of a shock to feel the 'liteness' of the front end. Sounds like the back end is too soft and collapsing under full power which in turn makes the front end feel light.

Now to negotiate with some dealers for a price.......

stunva

Reaction score
The dealers put about 45psi in the front tire too, knock it back to 34 and it feels heaps better.
But as they all say, the suspension is crap, but with the price of the bike as low as it is just buy some good bits and tune it up.