Yamaha Luggage for Tracer

Russ Quinlan

Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone else had got the Yamaha panniers with their bike ?

I got them and inside was a very large waterproof bag that looked like it was supposed to fit inside.

However the material its made from is very thick and stiff and by the time I've just put a few bits inside (what I assume is the waterproof inner bag) and folded it over to fit inside the panniers it basically takes up more room than the clothes !

Has anyone else had that problem, have I been given the wrong inners ?

Tried all sorts to get it in but it simply takes up what little room there is in the panniers.

Probably end up using a robust bin liner instead !

Attachments

chump

Reaction score
From the picture it looks like the bag is big enough to go over the pannier.

trevorleigh

Reaction score
I have got the same panniers, and the same waterproof liners. I agree they do take up rather a lot of the space, I find they are best when rolled closed and put in the pannier with the rolled part at the bottom. I can say though that after 900 wet miles through Scotland , nothing in the panniers even got damp.

Toppie

Reaction score
Yes, I have the same panniers and the same bags which come as standard.
They're meant to be rolled closed as per Trevorleigh's post above.
If you pack them nicely they'll fill the pannier and that's what they're designed for.
Mine work well.

However, I'd prefer a proper hard case system that's water/weatherproof.
Does anyone know if there is an alternative case, either Yamaha or an after-market supplier that does case's to fit on the Yamaha Bracket system?

Last edited:

EeeTea

Reaction score
The panniers of the TDM900 or FJR (same thing) fit, but they look dated and wide. The FJ-09 (ie Tracer) hard cases supplied in the US are exactly the same but with a flatter lid. They look nice but are jolly expensive.

I've fitted givi e22 and a shad top box on mine. The e22 are low capacity but narrower than the bike for commuter filtering.

shards

Reaction score
Hard Panniers

I have a set of practically unused panniers (complete with all the fittings etc) for sale. The only problem is that I am in New Zealand so postage will be EXPENSIVE.

If anyone who might be interested has any friends travelling over this part of the world maybe we can sort something out.

The panniers are genuine Yamaha ones, supplied with all NZ (and Aussie I think) Tracers.

PM me here if interested.

Steve

FJW

Reaction score
hard panniers/top box.

The panniers of the TDM900 or FJR (same thing) fit, but they look dated and wide. The FJ-09 (ie Tracer) hard cases supplied in the US are exactly the same but with a flatter lid. They look nice but are jolly expensive.

I've fitted givi e22 and a shad top box on mine. The e22 are low capacity but narrower than the bike for commuter filtering.
.Has anyone fitted hard panniers and a top box on their bike?, if so how does it effect the handling?.The combination is not recommended in Australia .
FJW.

stavrosd2006

Reaction score
Top case fitted

.Has anyone fitted hard panniers and a top box on their bike?, if so how does it effect the handling?.The combination is not recommended in Australia .
FJW.
Hi from Crete,

i have only fitted hard top case and handling is as expected. At high speeds you get a bit of vibration
but not that much as i had from my previous bike (XJ6n same top case fitted).
Its good however for the co-rider (resting against it).
I have installed Givi rack that doesnot extend far back from tail and has lower height from tail than others.

EeeTea

Reaction score
I have both, but only givi e21 panniers - narrow for commuting. But but have the large Shad sh48 top box.

I did one road trip of about 1000 miles fully loaded and a tent (folded down) across the pillion seat.

Handling was fine, scraping of pegs was (too) easy. I've ridden up to about 114 DDB*, and then it was beginning to feel a little unsettled. But on public roads I always ride within the speed limit with no problems.

Just pack heavier stuff (eg beer) in the bottom of the panniers, and lighter stuff (pop corn) in the top box.

DDB is Double Decker Busses - its what the media for absurd reason use in the UK when citing anything in the least bit technical that stupid people, like their readers, can't comprehend. You know, complex measurement things like, say, "miles".

For volume they use OSPs (Olympic swimming pools) as opposed the highly complicated "gallons", "litres" or "cubic meters"

Last edited:

robin

Reaction score
Luggage

I made a few simple fittings and fitted my Givi luggage rack for any Givi side boxes.

The top box has a fitting from a different bike, but looks and works great. I only had to drill one extra hole on each side.

Attachments

EeeTea

Reaction score
I've finally got around to uploading some photos into my phot0bucket account, so this is my luggage layout..

SHAD SH48 top box

GIVI E22 panniers:

To do this I used two separate mounting kits.

1. Remove the OEM pannier mounts

2. Added the Shad topbox fitting kit (absolutely standard)

3. The Givi side mountings are standard, less some spacers. The result of removing the spacers is that the bottom edge of the frames are closer together. This means you cant use the cross brace bar supplied.

(view is looking forward from the back RHS)

4. The fix is to make a narrower cross brace (it's only a bit of steel tube, squashed in a vice, and bent slightly, then drilled and painted), about an hours work.

The result is a narrower pannier set up, tighter to the bike - making it better for filtering on commutes etc.

Last edited:

EeeTea

Reaction score
FYI cost of mine was

Shad SH48 Top Box and Mount (including additional "carbon fibre look" insert) £228

Givi E22 and mounting kit £275

FJW

Reaction score
luggage

I've finally got around to uploading some photos into my phot0bucket account, so this is my luggage layout..

SHAD SH48 top box

GIVI E22 panniers:

To do this I used two separate mounting kits.

1. Remove the OEM pannier mounts

2. Added the Shad topbox fitting kit (absolutely standard)

3. The Givi side mountings are standard, less some spacers. The result of removing the spacers is that the bottom edge of the frames are closer together. This means you cant use the cross brace bar supplied.

(view is looking forward from the back RHS)

4. The fix is to make a narrower cross brace (it's only a bit of steel tube, squashed in a vice, and bent slightly, then drilled and painted), about an hours work.

The result is a narrower pannier set up, tighter to the bike - making it better for filtering on commutes etc.
.Thanks for the pics,looks very smart.Have you noticed any handling problems with this set up ? For what ever reason yamaha suggest not to use a top box / panniers combination in Australia.
I only want a box about the size of one (LSP)!
Thanks.
F

EeeTea

Reaction score
No handling problems up to the recommended max speeds recommended by Shad or Givi ... Which are roughly equivalent to a snail on roller skates.

The 114 DDB units in my earlier post in this thread represent the maximum legal speed on UK roads ;)

otaylor38

Reaction score
i went for the Givi Dolomiti panniers on the PLR2122 quick release rack.

They look much bigger in the photos than they do in life, to be honest. They're actually slightly narrower than the handlebars. 33 litres each.

Last edited:

ib1-2

Reaction score
OTaylor38
Not a good idea to show number plates on forums. Can I suggest to try and obscure in future for security sake.
Happy New Year.