Yamaha Tracer First impressions from 0 miles

STMTRACER

Reaction score
Well donned the cold weather gear and set of with heated grips set at full this morning.

It was clear how good a job hand guards do as I quickly reduced the setting on heated grips as they were too warm even though it was only 3 degrees outside temperature. Well riding bike I have to say first of all weather protection is great especially with touring screen and in my opinion well worth the extra money. Screen looks like it belongs on bike even though it is large. Can ride the bike comfortably at 30mph in 5th gear and still accelerate cleanly without changing gear and I think that shows how well the little 847 triple performs and I think it shows how Yamaha have got this little engine performing correctly in this guise.

Out on the open road the bike performs faultlessly as you get the speed up there is just enough vibration and wind noise to let you know you are reaching licence loosing speeds but at every day speeds of 70-80mph you could ride bike all day as seating/riding position is excellent.This bike performs faultlessly in terms of handling especially given the design principle behind the bike for touring. In the right hands it will embarrass many a sports bike, although that is not the purpose of this bike it does perform well in almost all situations. If you want to go faster then you will have to buy a proper out and out sports bike. If you push bike too hard then chassis and suspension tell you, but in every day circumstances and for normal riding bike suspension and chassis and brakes are more than up to the job.

Brakes are great, back brake has great progressive grip and front brake is the same. Engine braking on bike is ideal not as harsh as a twin but a little more noticeable than a four so if you get the gearing right you very rarely have to touch your brakes at all. Bike has 3 riding modes and I did try them all A mode every thing happens a little faster, B mode every thing a little slower and standard mode just right. I believe the modes only adjust fly by wire throttle and only sharpen up or dull throttle input although there is noticeably less power available in B mode I believe limited to 95bhp I was quite happy in standard mode.

I opted for the comfort saddle and my first impressions were that even that was too hard but was surprised that there were no aches or pains after 200 miles or so I have sent my original saddle of to motorbike seats uk to have recovered and reshaped with a little more padding fitted then I will hopefully be able to ride all day same as other bikes I have had where I customised saddle to suit me.

It has also been a revelation to me how nimble this bike is compared to a lot of other similar bikes out there and I for one think this bike is a keeper.

Up until recently I owned two bikes a Kawasaki GTR 1400 & Yamaha FZ1S I bought the Yamaha Tracer in an attempt to replace both my bikes and go down to just one bike for everything The Yamaha FZ1S is now sold and I am currently looking for a buyer for my Kawasaki GTR I know its early days yet but I would say if this little Yamaha Tracer gets even better as I put more miles on her that I have been successful in my quest.

I don't think there is such a thing as a perfect motorbike but if like me you want to put some miles on in comfort then this little bike has it in spades.

Attachments

Last edited:

Boab Dreeps

Reaction score
How tall are you?
I'm 6ft and had real problems with the tall screen causing horrible turbulence around the top of my head. Was unbearable even at low speed.

Good review though, agree with everything else you say about the bike.

STMTRACER

Reaction score

groundhog

Reaction score
Good review ! I agree with most of what you say. How did you find the ride/suspension ? I find it a little harsh

STMTRACER

Reaction score
Hi I found suspension to be good enough for the job, to be honest I never mess with standard setup on any bike till I have ridden it for a few thousand miles then I have something to compare it to. When I do then try any adjustment I then tend to find it easier for best setup for me but I did think bike coped well with my 14.5stone.

Boab Dreeps

Reaction score
oooh...
I put a vario screen on my Bandit last year. Despite my efforts to prevent it, it did a good job of making my head move around in a rapid and nauseating manner
Biggest waste of money I've ever been guilty of.
Well...apart from the time I spent a fortune on body filler trying to get a Datsun 120Y through it's MOT...but that's way off topic

reeseyboy

Reaction score
Same colour as mine. I have had a gel fitted to the standard seat as I was fidgeting after 45mins. Did 150 miles this morning and feels loads better. The bike is taking a little re-calibration on my part; had a VFR1200 prior to the Tracer, a lot more power and weight...

STMTRACER

Reaction score
Considering the fact I had an FZ1S and a GTR 1400 I am pleasantly surprised by how quickly I seem to have bonded with Tracer. All the reviews I have read seem to be accurate in my experience so far.

Timo50

Reaction score
I have the comfort seat, but yet to try it out, sitting on the bike, it still feels quite firm!

groundhog

Reaction score
I have the comfort seat, but yet to try it out, sitting on the bike, it still feels quite firm!
I would be interested to see what you think of the comfort seat as I find the standard one pretty uncomfortable

reeseyboy

Reaction score
I would be interested to see what you think of the comfort seat as I find the standard one pretty uncomfortable
I nearly bought the comfort seat until someone said that the MT-09 comfort seats weren't any good.

STMTRACER

Reaction score
They are a waste of money. Better off modding the oem one. And cheaper too
I bought the comfort seat and although it initially felt hard it really is all day comfortable although that was a surprise to me and only evident once I tried it for a full days riding. Seats for any bike are an individual choice and to be honest you can't beat a professionally customised saddle on any bike.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I bought the comfort seat and although it initially felt hard it really is all day comfortable although that was a surprise to me and only evident once I tried it for a full days riding. Seats for any bike are an individual choice and to be honest you can't beat a professionally customised saddle on any bike.
I preferred putting the street rally seat on my MT

groundhog

Reaction score
A good seat can be hard and also comfortable particularly on a long ride. I had a Corbin seat on a previous bike, it felt like a block of wood, but is the most comfortable seat I have ever had, unlike my standard Tracer seat which is just hard and uncomfortable. A lot of it is about having a nuetral riding position that gives less stress on the bones in your rear end, as much as whether it's hard or soft. I think though that seeing as the Tracer riders seat is separate I agree a customised one would be the best bet and cheapest too

Last edited:

STMTRACER

Reaction score
In my opinion the comfort seat does work better than standard seat but in my opinion not ideal as the seat is also very flat like original seat. I have sent my original seat away to be customised and that will always beat any after market seat as saddle will be reshaped and built specifically for comfort.

KatanaAl

Reaction score
Being a grumpy old man this is something that really annoys me. Why aren't the standard seats comfortable ? After spending our hard earned cash on a new bike we are then expected to spend more money on a seat that is comfortable. Shouldn't the standard seat be comfortable ?
Can you imagine buying a new car and the salesman asking if you would like to buy comfortable seats for it ? You would be speechless.
Sorry rant over.
Don't tell anybody mind I use an Airhawk for touring.
Alan

trevorleigh

Reaction score
I have just changed my FZ1 Fazer for a tracer too, although I have already got an 09, I find they are completely different bikes. The tracer definately has better suspension setting that the standard 09 (although mine has a Maxton shock now) and the fueling is better too. although neither are perfect they are both an improvement. Interestingly I don't find any issues with the standard seat on either bike and have done 200 mile plus trips on both.
Anyway here is my two ready to go :)
P1050311.jpg

STMTRACER

Reaction score
I have just changed my FZ1 Fazer for a tracer too, although I have already got an 09, I find they are completely different bikes. The tracer definately has better suspension setting that the standard 09 (although mine has a Maxton shock now) and the fueling is better too. although neither are perfect they are both an improvement. Interestingly I don't find any issues with the standard seat on either bike and have done 200 mile plus trips on both.
Anyway here is my two ready to go :)
View attachment 2966
I don't think I would have any problems with standard seat on 200 miles a day, but I regularly do miles in excess of 400 miles a day during the summer especially if I go over to Europe.

glaik0562

Reaction score
I don't think I would have any problems with standard seat on 200 miles a day, but I regularly do miles in excess of 400 miles a day during the summer especially if I go over to Europe.
I have the comfort seat and although it is quite hard it feels better than the standard. I drive in and out of london 5 days a week and find that i have to fidget a little bit(20miles each way. It will be interesting to see how it is on a longer commute. I am heading up to the midlands next month so we will see.