Yamaha USB charger thingy

MadGelo

Reaction score
Got and installed it, but it doesnt deliver enough power to charge my phone, losing power when plugged in and have GPS running.
Is that normal or did I install it wrong?

Stripy

Reaction score
Sounds wrong.
The USB port draws max 0,5A, the GPS likely the same, maybe 1A
If you've taken the power from the AUX connector, something is not setup correct.

If you draw more than the 2A, the fuse would blow, not just make it like a wink eye and struggle to give enough juice.

Sounds like a faulty unit or a bad connection.

Stripy

Reaction score
ah, hint of advice here, then... The Samsung phone uses a micro USB plug, right?

I've had 2 cameras on mine, and those connections where so damn dodgy, that they made them pack in and occasionally stopped working - simple because, the connector in the devices are too loose, so it wiggles around.
The device it self thinks there is a dodgy connector, so in order to protect it, it shuts down the charging, so nothing is getting overloaded.

MadGelo

Reaction score
Rather big USB3 connector

Charges just fine plugged into PC or Power outlet

Stripy

Reaction score
Eek, is this the end going into the phone?
My lord... anyway.. one question, does it feels wobbly/wiggly, when inserted?

You can't compare it to when plugged in, when on the laptop or socket at home.
When riding, you have a million more small shakings, and eventually (depending on how it is mounted) a wind pressure doing unpredictable things as well.

Stripy

Reaction score
Have you tried any other USB devices, just to compare, to see if same happens?

MadGelo

Reaction score
yes, goes into a phone :)

The ends that goes into a phone is tight, so is the other end.
Is it possible that battery is just too small ?

Stripy

Reaction score
I doubt.
I'd test with other USB devices and see if you get same result.

There should be plenty of juice.
Does it loose the power instantly, you turn the GPS on?

have you tried measuring with an ampere meter to see how much its eating?

MadGelo

Reaction score
it discharges, dont know if it is faster or slower than normal.

dont have one to measure.

RipGroove

Reaction score
I know my Galaxy S2 will slowly run out of power when plugged in to a 12v in a car if it's used for navigation and the screen is on constantly. Only real tip is to lower the screen brightness and maybe stick power saving mode on then re enable GPS.

Mitch

Reaction score
Mine does it even in my car until I changed the 12v usb to a more pricey one

stevecbr

Reaction score
madgelo, is the picture you posted the original yamaha fitment? I thought they would have sold something that that connects directly to their auxillary socket, that is switched to the ignition. The thing you have posted looks like a generic charger, that is wired directly to the battery, ie power on at all times, not just when ignition switched on

relz

Reaction score
Got and installed it, but it doesnt deliver enough power to charge my phone, losing power when plugged in and have GPS running.
Is that normal or did I install it wrong?
I have the same problem...
Galaxy S2 running a GPS applications, loses power rather than gaining it [emoji20] .
If the phone is idle it does charge up, but ever so slowly.
Thought it was only my problem...

sigtrm

Reaction score
I have the same problem...
Galaxy S2 running a GPS applications, loses power rather than gaining it [emoji20] .
If the phone is idle it does charge up, but ever so slowly.
Thought it was only my problem...
What your battery status reads when you plug in phone to bike socket? Charging USB or AC? Bc if your charger acts as USB data port phone will draw only 500mA which is not enough for gsm/gps stack , display and and probably BT and other stuff you have running.

RipGroove

Reaction score
oh well...waste of money ...

Thanks everyone
Only thing I can suggest is try some power saving settings and lock the screen maybe if you're on a long stretch of road for a bit without the need for navigation.

On a side note, I wonder how dedicated motorcycle sat navs perform when plugged in to the bike?

sigtrm

Reaction score
Only thing I can suggest is try some power saving settings and lock the screen maybe if you're on a long stretch of road for a bit without the need for navigation.

On a side note, I wonder how dedicated motorcycle sat navs perform when plugged in to the bike?
They come with dedicated chargers which with more current, plus sat nav mostly has only gps chip(sometimes a-GPS).

There is easy way to check in android if charger is behaving like USB port, just check if it says charging USB or AC.

When it says USB phone draws 500mAmps, all you have to do is short wire two middle pins in USB socket or make custom cable, then phone will draw more than 500mAmps.
You can also buy such a cable but it is waste of money.

relz

Reaction score
What your battery status reads when you plug in phone to bike socket? Charging USB or AC? Bc if your charger acts as USB data port phone will draw only 500mA which is not enough for gsm/gps stack , display and and probably BT and other stuff you have running.
Mines showing AC charging, I already checked that.
I was also looking for an app that shows the exact charging current (rather than adding an ampermeter inline), in order to compare to other chargers, but didn't find any that I liked.

Can you recommend such an app?