ZX10 shock conversion

Fluke

Reaction score
Hi gang
I'm very happy to be able to report that I've finally got my standard shock changed for one from an 09 ZX10r.
(Ta to everyone who helped with the advice, especially L34chy and Marthy).
I've not really had much of a chance to ride it but the little that I've ridden since it was done has been really encouraging. It's noticeably firmer and feels a lot less spongey.
Thought I'd share some of the fitting experience in case anyone else is thinking of doing the same.
You will need a 12 mm bit to enlarge the hole that attaches at the back. (I'm not technical enough to know the name of that end of the shock but there probably is one). It's obvious which hole needs to be drilled.
The ZX10 shock is slightly longer so you'll need to move the hole a couple of mm otherwise you'll not get the shock to fit.
I saw images people had posted on google showing the hole being drilled so you can see what I mean if you look it up.
It's a bit of a tight squeeze getting the shock in at the engine end (excuse my lack of tech speak) so you'll need to take off the tank and loosen the tray below the seat to get the fat end of the shock in.
Orient it with the shock's (I think it's a) reservoir underneath to avoid cutting the plastic shroud over the swingarm.
Some people had said that you need to cut some of the plastic cover next to where the shock mounts but it is not necessary as you can see from the picture.
The enlarged hole at the back end of the shock should line up if you've moved it and that's it, job done.
I'm no racer so all I was looking for was a firmer rear without breaking the bank and as the shock only cost me £85, I'm chuffed to have been able to sort the MT's soggy arse without breaking the bank.
Next job... the front:)
MT shock.jpg

My Toy

Reaction score
Had a look at some pics of the 09 ZX10r shocks on eBay and am I right in thinking that when fitted the preload adjuster ring and top adjuster screw are not accessible. Which is the compression screw and which is the rebound screw. Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

boro

Reaction score
Hi gang
I'm very happy to be able to report that I've finally got my standard shock changed for one from an 09 ZX10r.
(Ta to everyone who helped with the advice, especially L34chy and Marthy).
I've not really had much of a chance to ride it but the little that I've ridden since it was done has been really encouraging. It's noticeably firmer and feels a lot less spongey.
Thought I'd share some of the fitting experience in case anyone else is thinking of doing the same.
You will need a 12 mm bit to enlarge the hole that attaches at the back. (I'm not technical enough to know the name of that end of the shock but there probably is one). It's obvious which hole needs to be drilled.
The ZX10 shock is slightly longer so you'll need to move the hole a couple of mm otherwise you'll not get the shock to fit.
I saw images people had posted on google showing the hole being drilled so you can see what I mean if you look it up.
It's a bit of a tight squeeze getting the shock in at the engine end (excuse my lack of tech speak) so you'll need to take off the tank and loosen the tray below the seat to get the fat end of the shock in.
Orient it with the shock's (I think it's a) reservoir underneath to avoid cutting the plastic shroud over the swingarm.
Some people had said that you need to cut some of the plastic cover next to where the shock mounts but it is not necessary as you can see from the picture.
The enlarged hole at the back end of the shock should line up if you've moved it and that's it, job done.
I'm no racer so all I was looking for was a firmer rear without breaking the bank and as the shock only cost me £85, I'm chuffed to have been able to sort the MT's soggy arse without breaking the bank.
Next job... the front:)
View attachment 2865
Had a look at some pics of the 09 ZX10r shocks on eBay and am I right in thinking that when fitted the preload adjuster ring and top adjuster screw are not accessible. Which is the compression screw and which is the rebound screw. Cheers.

The compression will end up being at the top (both low and high speed), you can get to it but very fiddly.
Rebound will be at the bottom so is easy and the preload spring I couldn't get to with a C spanner so used a drift and a hammer.

My Toy

Reaction score
Thank you, that is helpful.

My Toy

Reaction score
Had a read back through an old thread on the ZX10 theme and found that a ZX6R shock from 2006 also fits but I don't want to shell out on a 9 year old unit. There are some tasty looking newer ZX6R ones on eBay but I have no way of knowing if they are the same length, they look the same as a 2006 one and the ZX10 shock.

My Toy

Reaction score
Suppose I could email the seller and ask them to measure the length between the mounting points

boro

Reaction score
Had a read back through an old thread on the ZX10 theme and found that a ZX6R shock from 2006 also fits but I don't want to shell out on a 9 year old unit. There are some tasty looking newer ZX6R ones on eBay but I have no way of knowing if they are the same length, they look the same as a 2006 one and the ZX10 shock.

Look at the thread from Marty on the US fz09.org website he is who I went to and he has a list of what does or doesn't fit...

My Toy

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll do that.

marthy

Reaction score
I'm using the 2008-2010 ZX10 shock. 8mm longer (10mm more rake measure at axle) 9.1kg/mm spring with 35mm rider sag (im 175lbs w/o gear)

LSB: all open
HSB: 1T in from full soft (start all open... add if needed)
REB: 1.25T in from full soft

Front I'm using .90kg/mm springs with GP piston kit and 130mm oil level. If you keep oem valving go with 10W shock oil same oil level.

Tire wear last track day (Q2s)

My Toy

Reaction score
With a bit of luck I'll have a 2009 ZX10 shock coming next week. I'm 190lbs without gear so I reckon the stock 9.1kg/mm might be a bit soft but I think I read on FZ09 forum that the stock Yamaha spring fits and at 9.7kg/mm may be better for my weight. Not planning on track days or carrying pillion just moderate road riding. I like the sound of your front set up and may go the same way with a revalve, stiffer springs and slightly thicker oil. Does that keep the stock fork caps with damping adjustment in the right leg only but with damping in both legs?

flipper

Reaction score
the GP kit does not do anything to the left leg. it installs a valving setup in the right leg that works like it should.

the OE MT spring is 10.2 kg/mm - a 570 lb/in spring.

marthy

Reaction score
With a bit of luck I'll have a 2009 ZX10 shock coming next week. I'm 190lbs without gear so I reckon the stock 9.1kg/mm might be a bit soft but I think I read on FZ09 forum that the stock Yamaha spring fits and at 9.7kg/mm may be better for my weight. Not planning on track days or carrying pillion just moderate road riding. I like the sound of your front set up and may go the same way with a revalve, stiffer springs and slightly thicker oil. Does that keep the stock fork caps with damping adjustment in the right leg only but with damping in both legs?

You are borderline for the 9.1kg/mm but I would give it a try. I would go max with 9.4kg/mm if I was you, unless you do a lot of 2up riding the oem shock would work better. I'm 180 and use the 9.1kg / mm

My Toy

Reaction score
Thank you, I will try it as it comes, I'm sure it will be better than the stock item. I appreciate the advice

My Toy

Reaction score
Fitted the ZX10 shock yesterday and I have to say it's the best £100 I've spent on the bike so far. Like others I have found a massive improvement to the ride and just need to dial it in a bit. Getting the forks done next week so will have a proper play when that's been done.

Happy days[emoji3]

My Toy

Reaction score
The second one, although it looks well used. Perhaps a refurb prior to fitting?

My Toy

Reaction score
Again it looks well used but looks don't mean a great deal, do you know how many kms it's done, when I bought mine I was told it had 9000miles (about 14500kms) and was covered in chain lube and road grime. It cleaned up a treat and is working better than the standard unit. For €80 you can afford to have it rebuilt if it needs it. [emoji3]