1984 xt 600

Burg308

Reaction score
It's a bathplug to start from cold,ok when it's been started,had the carb off ultra sonic clean and all new internals,runs well when I can start it,any one had one or got any tips before my leg drops off.

stevecbr

Reaction score
I'd start with clean sparkplug, correct type and correctly gapped. So they run electronic ignition or points? Do coil/leads and plug caps look ok? Something that old may have perished spark plug leads, causing power to be lost in the leads, leading to weak spark

Burg308

Reaction score
Brand new iridium plug,leads etc all good ,ime leaning towards a fuel problem,these bikes run a strange 2 stage carb which are well known for trouble,after I refurbed the carb it was pretty easy to start.

flipper

Reaction score
what sort of mileage? valve clearances can close up making starting harder.

Burg308

Reaction score
Clock reads 50000kilometers,it's a import ,a friend of mine has refurbed it but I don't think the motor has been taken down.I was going to check the valve clearances when I next have time.

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
I had 3 XT's, first a XT600 '84 white, then a XT600 '86 black (same engine) and a XT600E '00 black.
All of them had YDIS (yamaha duo intake system) with 2 carbs.. one "subpressure" for low rpm and 2nd with slide for high rpm..
I had put Dynojet kit for better fueling but all the modifications had done by mechanic..

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
It's a bathplug to start from cold,ok when it's been started,had the carb off ultra sonic clean and all new internals,runs well when I can start it,any one had one or got any tips before my leg drops off.
Now i understand... if you mean "kick-starter problems", the Golden rule is "never open throtle when kicking".
However, a good way to start the engine is to press the kick-starter down to the point you will hear a "click"... that means piston is at the right point. Then give a steady & force kick at kick-starter and (i hope) it runs on.
If the cylinder is full of gas then you must do the above procedure with the throttle fully open until you hear the "click"..
Sorry but is difficult to me to explain this in English..... Hope that Birdy could help you more than me !

Burg308

Reaction score
Well,must say great thanks to you motorcycle boy your advice is spot on,I have also given a shot of sea foam,(no tt,not that stuff you collect in public toilets),have tried this stuff in 3 cranky engines,2 bikes and a chain saw and ime impressed,google it,ime a believer.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well,must say great thanks to you motorcycle boy your advice is spot on,I have also given a shot of sea foam,(no tt,not that stuff you collect in public toilets),have tried this stuff in 3 cranky engines,2 bikes and a chain saw and ime impressed,google it,ime a believer.
Cheeky bugger...Lol
It's flydnb who collects from toilets haha