5TH and 6TH gear limiter

Mtpete

Reaction score
Ok, now did I read on this forum a few weeks ago that the MT 09 is limited in 5TH and 6TH gear to 9200rpm ??
I must have read it wrong because today I had my baby singing at 10500+ in 5TH, couldn't tell you about 6TH because I kept running out of Tarmac. (On a closed course, of course)

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
A lot of people on this forum have theirs restricted in 5th and 6th. Can't vouch for the none UK bikes but they are in the UK.
Wot was ur speedo reading?

l34chy

Reaction score
I don't think they mean it won't rev past 9200rpm just optimum power is cut.
I just got back from Isle of Man and i had mine revving to 10000+ in 6th over the mountain course showing 143mph.
I am waiting to hear how this is going regarding the flash and how mush more power this is gonna release.
I know that the wind on the mountain at 140+is hard work on compared to my r6.

Mtpete

Reaction score
A lot of people on this forum have theirs restricted in 5th and 6th. Can't vouch for the none UK bikes but they are in the UK.
Wot was ur speedo reading?
5TH gear 10250rpm=217kph/134.84mph I don't have a speedo healer in yet so speedo error I guess would be about 8-18kph.

Mtpete

Reaction score
I don't think they mean it won't rev past 9200rpm just optimum power is cut.
I just got back from Isle of Man and i had mine revving to 10000+ in 6th over the mountain course showing 143mph.
I am waiting to hear how this is going regarding the flash and how mush more power this is gonna release.
I know that the wind on the mountain at 140+is hard work on compared to my r6.
It's hard to say for sure at that sort of speed but it feels like its pulling like a tractor still!

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
5TH gear 10250rpm=217kph/134.84mph I don't have a speedo healer in yet so speedo error I guess would be about 8-18kph.
Mine will read 141 @ 9200 and that's ur lot. No speedo healer and when we dyno'd it, it was 128 so that's about 141 giving to 10% margin

Mtpete

Reaction score
Mine will read 141 @ 9200 and that's ur lot. No speedo healer and when we dyno'd it, it was 128 so that's about 141 giving to 10% margin
To be honest I was trying to focus on the rpm (and the road) it may have said 227 not 217 so that would be 141 mph, it is tricky to take in all the info when going that fast with the wind trying to rip my head off lol, as I'm sure you already know.

l34chy

Reaction score
To be honest I was trying to focus on the rpm (and the road) it may have said 227 not 217 so that would be 141 mph, it is tricky to take in all the info when going that fast with the wind trying to rip my head off lol, as I'm sure you already know.
Yeah i was struggling over the mountain to hold on and there was definitely more on tap

Mtpete

Reaction score
Yeah i was struggling over the mountain to hold on and there was definitely more on tap
Isle of Mann is on my bucket list, just wish I didn't live on the other side of the planet....

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
tbh I'm more interested in the rpm issue than I am speed. As soon as I get the ECU flashed and have the restriction taken off amongst other things I will post a review

Mtpete

Reaction score
tbh I'm more interested in the rpm issue than I am speed. As soon as I get the ECU flashed and have the restriction taken off amongst other things I will post a review
It is interesting that the eu model has the restriction and the au may not, I'll look forward to your review. But I can say for certain that in 5TH mine goes well beyond 9200rpm even beyond 10200rpm and still going strong. I will find a longer bit of road and try 6TH gear I would like to know where that stops. I'm also going to get the bike on a dyno one day but a good bike dyno is several hours from my house so some time in the future.

marthy

Reaction score
10250 in 5th sound about right. Got my ECU reflash by Flashtune and it did remove the speed limiter. I did push the 5th gear to 140 MPH (rev limit) but didn't have enough room at the track to use 6th gear.

Ordered a 15T sprocket yesterday...

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok so I sat down with Simon today and he showed me the data on the laptop for the gearing on a standard bike and one that they have flashed and the exact figures are these:

4th gear will redline.
5th gear is restricted to 10,000rpm.
6th gear is restricted to 8500rpm.
These are at 100% throttle.

When in 5th gear at 100% throttle Yamaha are only letting u have 71% throttle and 6th gear 100% throttle u are only getting 47% throttle.
I hope that clears it up for u.

flydnb

Reaction score
makes you wonder what the top speed would be if the limiter was just like the other gears, the bike must be good for 150 mph with your head down.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
makes you wonder what the top speed would be if the limiter was just like the other gears, the bike must be good for 150 mph with your head down.
Well we recon that if u go by the figures on the laptop it shud be more than that mate. Question is... Wud u wanna go 150+ on it? I doubt it lol

flydnb

Reaction score
Well we recon that if u go by the figures on the laptop it shud be more than that mate. Question is... Wud u wanna go 150+ on it? I doubt it lol
no i doubt it but id like to try it maybe once on a runway or private road .

Mtpete

Reaction score
Ok so I sat down with Simon today and he showed me the data on the laptop for the gearing on a standard bike and one that they have flashed and the exact figures are these:

4th gear will redline.
5th gear is restricted to 10,000rpm.
6th gear is restricted to 8500rpm.
These are at 100% throttle.

When in 5th gear at 100% throttle Yamaha are only letting u have 71% throttle and 6th gear 100% throttle u are only getting 47% throttle.
I hope that clears it up for u.
Going out tomorrow for a blast, will post the results, I need to figure out a way to record the dash numbers and then post it on the forum. I'll try my best to get all the info in the shot, speed, rpm and gear.

flydnb

Reaction score
Going out tomorrow for a blast, will post the results, I need to figure out a way to record the dash numbers and then post it on the forum. I'll try my best to get all the info in the shot, speed, rpm and gear.
nice mate look fwd to it.