600 miles or 6 weeks service????????????

adley

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I knew that my mt had to be serviced at 600 miles but i have just noticed in my service book that it says 600 miles or 6 weeks .I have had her about 9 weeks now and only done 130 miles because the weathers been shite everytime i am off work. and an oil change with so few miles doesnt make sense to me. so should i wait until i have done 600miles or will it void my warranty being late as i am already 3 weeks over due.
Cheers

stevecbr

Reaction score
i would wait till 600 miles. Its the initial 600 miles when parts wear in any old swarf is collected in the oil and filter. It has to be running and doing the miles for this to happen. If the bikes sitting in your garage I cant see the point of changing the oil now

stumpy66

Reaction score
That's exactly what I thought, going on hail and heavy rain round here today it will be the new year before its serviced.

bobh

Reaction score
Yamaha seem to be the only manufacturer that specifies a 6-week time limit.

When I've queried it with my dealer (I bought an MT-07 demo bike that was about 6 months old with only about 300 miles on the clock) they told me it wouldn't void the warranty. I suppose Yamaha could theoretically wriggle out if you exceed 6 weeks, but I'd guess they wouldn't want the bad publicity if someone kicked up a fuss.

To be fair, I've had a few bikes from that dealer (On Yer Bike) so they know me and (hopefully) want to keep me as a customer, and the couple of warranty claims (1 -Yamaha, 1 - Kawasaki) I've had have been dealt with very efficiently.

adley

Reaction score
I have rang around a few dealerships and they have all said they usually extend your 6 weeks to 3 months any longer than that that it will void your warranty.

adley

Reaction score
one of the dealerships told me that the oil change wont make any difference to the running in and that the service is mainly for checks . im gonna ring some other dealerships again tomorrow cus that dont sound right to me