especially regarding Mt 09
Is 99 worth it?

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Any experience with it?
especially regarding Mt 09
Is 99 worth it?
I did 10 tanks of each (shell v-power and shell 95 Ron)!
The MPG was almost identical so for me there was no point using v-power. All the data is on "my fuelly" just look for me on there and u will see the data etc

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I see.
Did you feel any power difference?
Thank you
Not a sausage...!
Incidentally we dyno'd it while I was in the middle of that fuel test (bored one afternoon lol)! and there was NO power or torque difference at all between the fuels. Shell do "claim" that the v-power is really good at cleaning ur engine tho lol.
I've stuck shell in ALL my bikes and cars and never had a problem.

Kinjane

Reaction score
You like Shell petrol ?

I'm guessing you're not old enough to have put Formula Shell in any of your vehicles then :mad: :mad: :mad: No Ageism intended

From today not all petrol is the same went the infamous tag line.

yeah right, this stuff was ****ing unique in how it damaged two of my engines within 3 months.

Last edited:
M

MT account

i run mine on stewed fish spleens which is sold as 91. i dont think it will burn if you drop a match in it but it works in the bike just fine. cant see the point in paying more for 95 as it doesnt give me any more oomph................

Kinjane

Reaction score
These bikes don't have the technology to take advantage of anything with a higher than recommended octane rating.

I'm sure I've read somewhere (perhaps on that long extinct tank sticker) but I think the UK models recommend 95.

Other country specific models could well benefit from a different/lower rating if that's what they've been optimised to run on.

M

MT account

well, if these remaps turn out to be usa spec maps then you should be able to run the bike on parrafine........

Kinjane

Reaction score
Having just checked, the FZ-09 has been designed to run on 91 and the UK/euro models on 95 Octane.

This would explain why the FZ has slightly lower perfomance than the MT. I'd imagine it's been done the easy way by retarding the ignition as well as different fuel metering.

I'd really like to see the performance figures for a Brazilian spec model especially with the percentage of Ethanol that they run in their pump fuel

Last edited:
M

MT account

well im off to bed now cos tomorrow ill be sat on a seaside hilltop waiting to be hosed down with 150 octane avgas fumes............cant wait....
M3C7244.jpg

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You like Shell petrol ?

I'm guessing you're not old enough to have put Formula Shell in any of your vehicles then :mad: :mad: :mad: No Ageism intended

From today not all petrol is the same went the infamous tag line.

yeah right, this stuff was ****ing unique in how it damaged two of my engines within 3 months.
Hahaa. I didn't see the point in mentioning a fuel that's been obsolete or a while now.

Kinjane

Reaction score
Hahaa. I didn't see the point in mentioning a fuel that's been obsolete or a while now.
True, but some memories never fade. I might start using V Power in a decade or so If I don't hear anything to its detriment beforehand. That's if we still have any petrol of course...

Cobweb

Reaction score
The mechanic at Tamworth Yamaha told me to use the 95 octane and not the 97. He said that was the 95 octane is what the engine was designed for.

sigtrm

Reaction score
We have company plane so I can use avgas 100 octane for free and it rocks, you have snatchy throttle all the time so you do not notice any snatchyness. Highly recommended.

Twozup

Reaction score
I just stick Asda Diesel in mine. Runs like a smokey pig and a bit snatchy and hardly any power at all?
Am I doing this motorbike thing wrong?