Shaun64

Reaction score
2015 -MT0-9 Abs. Uncomfortable seat, light and easy to manoeuvre, harsh engine but great fun to ride.

Still riding with similar aged bikers at 73
Regards harsh engine how tight is your chain? I've found when theChain slack is 5-15mm like in handbook the engine & ride are harsh, I've got mine set at 25-30 mm sounds & rides lovely.

Gruffalo

Reaction score
I'll be 50 this year :eek:

I mainly use the Tracer for commuting (45mins one way) all year around (it's a helluva lot better than using the car), with a couple of short trips and several full day rides.

ib1-2

Reaction score
I used to ride to work every day on a ZZR1400. Now retired with bad back and the Tracer is like sitting in an armchair. Doesn't matter what i ride my bum starts to feel it after an hour and a half. Still it's less work than the 14 and lighter to move around, well it was til i started adding bits. Longest trip so far The Lakes around Hardknott and Wrynose 500/600 miles. Very pleased.

glaik0562

Reaction score
I know the Tracer is aimed at the 50+ age group, just wondering am I the only one going against the grain. I brought the bike brand new for my 30th Birthday present to myself to replace my old and battered FZS600

I get that it is tailored for the older rider, but I have had a lot of fun in the 2 years I have owned it. It still surprises me how agile and quick the bike is yet happily covers distance in comfort for me and my wife on a tour - best of everything
only 55 just recently back from 4000kms in France,Switzerland, Austria and Italy. Magic

nibor

Reaction score
Hi Shaun 64.
I agree the specified chain slack @ 5-15mm is far too tight and can damage the bearings / stretch the chain, and like you I always set the chain @ 25-30mm.

Regarding the harshness of the MT0-9 engine, I think in my case I shouldn't really compare this bike which has a 3 cylinder triple engine with my previous bike (Honda CB1300) which had a powerful 4 cylinder engine which was creamy smooth.

Also I paid for a padded and gel filled seat for the CB1300 which was far more comfortable than the standard MT0-9 seat, I am hoping to get a more comfortable seat for my bike if I can find one that is guaranteed comfortable.

Scaley

Reaction score
You have to be an old b***r to have the financial resources to own and run a bike these days! The bike is not necessarily designed for us old timers.

TWMoto

Reaction score
At 21 am I the youngest on here? [emoji23] MT09 owner

TIM80

Reaction score
54 years young and along the way DT125, XS650, XV750, GPZ1100,GS850G,FXRS-SP,GSXR750H,GS650G,GSXR600K5,MT09

Unfazed

Reaction score
51 and counting (I don't think it's an old mans bike, just the "gentlemans" version of the MT-09!)

paulb3375

Reaction score

Must admit i'm surprised how 'experienced' most people are on here.

I think Yamaha like to market all this 'dark side' business at the younger end but agree with Scaley, you have to be of a certain age to afford the luxury these days. I bet most if not all run a car too, so for most this biking lark is a lifestyle choice.

Toppie

Reaction score
I know the Tracer is aimed at the 50+ age group, just wondering am I the only one going against the grain. I brought the bike brand new for my 30th Birthday present to myself to replace my old and battered FZS600

I get that it is tailored for the older rider, but I have had a lot of fun in the 2 years I have owned it. It still surprises me how agile and quick the bike is yet happily covers distance in comfort for me and my wife on a tour - best of everything
Damn! I didn't know that. I've got mine to help me stay feeling younger.
So far it's working.
I'll be seventy in December so it'll be interesting to see if it still works for me next year.