Are MT-09's that hot for stealing?

lee1980

Reaction score
Only as seems will often at work need to leave outside, its sorta sheltered but anyone can of course do summat to or nick it, currently just have a disc lock but will bring a chain in if this more permanent.
All because as ever they keep giving away more spaces to cars ahhhh! and since I have not bee riding before xmas seems somone else also comes in early and nicked my space lol!

:(:(

flydnb

Reaction score
I think it depends on a lot of factors, the area you live/work, is it in public view, is it dattatagged [ yes it is all new bikes are now ) and how secure its parked etc , I would say its not as hot as say a scooter or 125 or a trail bike/supermoto which are lighter , or as desirable as a superbike like an bmw s1000rr , but it does have appeal.

flipper

Reaction score
The cost of a half decent lock and chain has to be worthwhile if you're asking this.

lee1980

Reaction score
yea wont be kids looking to nick, be more worried about them sitting on and/or breaking something on it out of spite etc. Which no lock will stop them, and dont really want an alarm again as had trouble in past with them.

Its a busy through route so would hope no one would get away with to much and my colleagues etc go in and out past it.

I do have a chain in work for my cycle decent one to, will use that if it becomes apparent I be outside all the time doh!

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score
Mines Garaged constantly unless I'm out, there's a biker opposite me who has a Harley, constantly outside their front door, with just a chain and cover.. Yet a guy down the road who had a scooter, parked behind a gate had his nicked...

So as fly says... Do what you can with locks etc, and it's dependant on area.... Also good if cctv available...

stevecbr

Reaction score
I have a lock and chain left at work, saves me lugging it about all the time. I'm afraid everything is nickable, you just need to make it as hard as possible for them so they go looking for an easier target

lee1980

Reaction score
I certainly will be chaining it up if this keeps up, seems someone has been away since weekend and left there bike in work nice.

~at the mo using a disc lock and going to check it as much as possible!

At home its garaged locked to shelving etc car in front of garage over night.

MadGelo

Reaction score
Besides a discklock with an alarm/chain, i would recommend to put a cover/bike garage on when you leave it at home/work.

If thief can't see what it is, surely he is less likely to try anything. As minimum, he will have to investigate what bike it is, giving you or some one else a better chance to spot him/diskbreak alarm to activate

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score
Mines garaged, lock on rear, anchored to brick wall, front wheel anchored to floor and a wheelbarrow... Data tagged, internal/external cctv with IR floodlight.... I can usually see what missis takes out of freezer.... System emails footage....

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a 6 year old with a pinpoint aim at the gadoolies every time and a 3 year old who takes no prisoners when it comes to sinking his teeth in ur leg...! Who needs chains, alarms, covers and cctv when I have those two mental boys lol

Last edited:

Milo Minderbinder

Reaction score
If you use a chain make sure it's a good one and connected to something permanent.. When professional thieves target bikes, a common method is pull up next to bike in van - drag out a mattress and lay it next to bike - push bike onto it - and 4 people, one on each corner lift mattress and slide into van - job done. Less than a minute if they're good. Then drive to a large car park or secluded area - park bike and leave it for a couple of days to see if it has a hidden tacking device fitted, in which case police will recover it. For security at home If I didn't have a garage I think I would get one of these.
The Secure Shed Company, 01952 581654

Last edited:

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
I've been a victim when someone took off the mirrors of my bike.
I've bought it Friday and on Monday when i parked it outside the gum, next to my coaches car (for more safe..) probably somebody who was training there took advantage when i was working-out and steal my mirrors !
The funny thing was that i realize it when i got on the bike, ride a few meters and tried to took a look behind me. I was shocked when i saw my handllebar empty of mirrors.
I asked Yamaha mechanics who said that my mirrors have the same screw size as TDM900 and Crypton R.
From that day i hope to meet on my way the thief's bike.... just to take my mirrors back...nice and easy.....................
At home i just lock it by key and sometimes (when i leave it alone) i lock it with a chain that has circular key lock (similar to old Kryptonite) which is very easy to unlock using the bottom of a plastic pen. Personally i can unlock it by this way in a few seconds.
The thief who will try to steal it has to be aware of my 180grains hollow point 40S&W cartridges..