Best sport touring tyre for MT09

stevecbr

Reaction score
Evening, will need to replace the tyres soon. Currently running the S20's, I did try Bridgestone BT023's the other year, and they caused a massive speed wobble. I spoke to the Bridgestone technicians about it at the time, and their response was as they dont recommend it for the MT09, they took no responsibility.(And I did get some stick from members at the time who said I should have checked their site before fitting)
So, this time round, I have been checking tyre manufacturers websites before I shell out over £200 on a set, and I'm suprised that Michelin doesnt have any tyres to fit this model. I know people on here have fitted them and rave how good they are, so uncertain what to do.
The Pirelli Angel GT's are cheaper, are recommended by Pirelli, and also seem to get reviews.
Any opinions?

stevecbr

Reaction score
Thats weird, there must be a glitch on the Michelin website. If you type in the standard MT, you get the message MICHELIN provides tyres for more than 3000 motorcycles
... but unfortunately not this one.

If you type in the ABS model, there are lots to choose from

LewFZ1

Reaction score
Evening, will need to replace the tyres soon. Currently running the S20's, I did try Bridgestone BT023's the other year, and they caused a massive speed wobble. I spoke to the Bridgestone technicians about it at the time, and their response was as they dont recommend it for the MT09, they took no responsibility.(And I did get some stick from members at the time who said I should have checked their site before fitting)
So, this time round, I have been checking tyre manufacturers websites before I shell out over £200 on a set, and I'm suprised that Michelin doesnt have any tyres to fit this model. I know people on here have fitted them and rave how good they are, so uncertain what to do.
The Pirelli Angel GT's are cheaper, are recommended by Pirelli, and also seem to get reviews.
Any opinions?
For good deals on tyres checkout The Visor Shop | Motorcycle Helmets | Tyres | Accessories | Parts you are looking for the N Ireland (Newry shop) they do free UK postage and tyres at a bargain price. I have nothing to do with the business but have had tyres from them in the past.

flydnb

Reaction score
Hi steve I love the Pirelli angel gts , I have 4500 on my set and still loads of life left , they suit the mt 09 because they improve mid corner stability over full on sports tyres , they don't turn in as quick but that's not a problem with wide bars on a light bike anyway , and for what they do in terms of high speed corner stability its worth it , also as for grip they are top notch even in cold and rain , I will be buying another set of these when I'm due a new set .

trevorleigh

Reaction score
Hi Steve, I replaced my original S20s on my MT09, with BT023s, I don't have any issue with them, good grip wet or dry, I also have a Tracer that is running PR4s, which again are great wet or dry. I just find the 023s seem to offer better feedback than the PR4s, although that could be down to the changed suspension on the MT (the Tracer is still original) I must say I have not had any speed wobble with either set, and both seem much better than the originals.

stevecbr

Reaction score
Hi Steve, I replaced my original S20s on my MT09, with BT023s, I don't have any issue with them, good grip wet or dry, I also have a Tracer that is running PR4s, which again are great wet or dry. I just find the 023s seem to offer better feedback than the PR4s, although that could be down to the changed suspension on the MT (the Tracer is still original) I must say I have not had any speed wobble with either set, and both seem much better than the originals.
Trevor, it started at 100mph, bike was unrideable at anything over that speed. Took it back to tyre supplier, main dealer and spoke to Bridgestone technicians. Bridgestone said its not recommended for the MT, so they accepted no responsibility. The tyres did last 6000 miles, and were fine if you rode at anything less than a ton, but the wobble/weave didnt get any better as the miles increased. Swapped back to the S20's at 9000 miles, and the wobble/weave dissapeared, so it was definately the tyres that caused it. How is your MT at high speed?

trevorleigh

Reaction score
Trevor, it started at 100mph, bike was unrideable at anything over that speed. Took it back to tyre supplier, main dealer and spoke to Bridgestone technicians. Bridgestone said its not recommended for the MT, so they accepted no responsibility. The tyres did last 6000 miles, and were fine if you rode at anything less than a ton, but the wobble/weave didnt get any better as the miles increased. Swapped back to the S20's at 9000 miles, and the wobble/weave dissapeared, so it was definately the tyres that caused it. How is your MT at high speed?
Well I do not regularly travel at high speed on the road, but I did a few laps of Castle Coomb with them on, although not watching the speedo, pretty sure I was in to 3 figures and certainly did not notice anything, maybe as you say the tyres are not now recomended (they used to be) it could be that my better quality Maxton set up, helps to dial it out, or it could just be that I am a fat b____d and the extra weight helps, not sure. But I will try to find a private road later and do some higher speeds.

Just looking on the UK Bridgestone site this morning it still says they do fit! so pretty confusing. Its good that you are now happy running the S20s again.
BT023.JPG