Black/clear oil and grating sound on accel

MallMal

Reaction score
Hi all,
Wondered if anyone had come across this issue - Yesterday I noticed a slight grating sound. Didn't think it was anything and most likely just the chain. However this morning it was more pronounced and seems to be coming from transmission side. I have not have much time to troubleshoot. The grating sound is kind of like a slight rattle at idle and more pronounced between 3-4k rpm.

When the engine had warmed up I checked the oil level and half of the window was black (bottom) top is clear. Seems unusual to me. My first thought is that it has been contaminated somehow (water pump seal? ) Engine does not seem to be running hotter than usual - Oil was changed a couple months ago. Stator cover was changed also (not sure if this could have affected anything. My technical knowledge is not great.)

My plan at the moment is to drain ASAP - check oil for contaminants - check and replace filter - empty coolant reservoir and radiator - flush - replace all.

If anyone has experienced something similar or knows what this might be let me know.

MallMal

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Seems like I had seen one thing in a rush and jumped to conclusions. Think you are spot on after looking at videos of people with cct issues. Sounds exactly the same. See there is a ton of info about it on here also. Thanks

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You're welcome. I think I started a thread on the cct a couple of years ago when it first started happening

MJ09

Reaction score
UK, Midlands between coventry and Birmingham
Hmmm... I would anticipate that the Black half of the window is the Oil, the clear section is the air above the oil...you are looking at the oil level. There are marks to the side of the window to indicate the correct level. The coolant has a colour ...(Should have, if it has antifreeze in it). Oil can go black quite quickly (its supposed to, the Black colour is due to contaminants held in suspension). I think its a good idea to change the oil every 3000 miles. Hope this helps.

I also notice a noise from the chain if its set at the lower end of the tolerance. What slack are you running?

MallMal

Reaction score
Yea, others have highlighted that it is likely I misread the gauge (I had just got to work and was in a dark car park - but could have sworn I saw a bubble in a clearish liquid (i.e fresh oil) and then black at the bottom. But does seem unlikely as there is nothing else but coolant to leak in there and as you said coolant goes white.. if there was something in there I can only assume some dick thought it would be funny to put it in there! Not had time to recheck since dropping it home. Drive chain is around 10/15mm of slack. But the noise is definitely coming from the cam chain. After reading up on here I would assume my model has the first iteration of this part and I see Yamaha are now on the 4th.

But if it is just a noise I can live with it for a while.. Not sure if the dealer will replace anything on preowned model - but nevertheless I will ask and see if I can get a discount/freebie... From what I have read this was never officially recalled? So not sure how convinced they will be by my request. I have had the headlight harness changed. I did not reflash ECU as it seems great how it is, hopefully I did not miss any other major issues/recalls

Last edited:

Bon

Reaction score
Check if the cct has a white dot on it. If it has it is the newer version of it after the first batch were recalled for rattling.

MallMal

Reaction score
No white dot - it is the 'S2' stamped version - Booked a slot in with a dealer to see if I can wrangle a freebie. I changed the oil and initially it stopped rattling - but after 50/60 miles was back to the rattle.

RipGroove

Reaction score
Check if the cct has a white dot on it. If it has it is the newer version of it after the first batch were recalled for rattling.
My dealer wouldn't recall or even look at mine, it's the original one from the factory in 2014 and I'm sure it's rattling. My dealer just said "I can't hear anything over your exhaust so I'm sure it's fine" I told him the noise is coming from the right hand side of the bike but he just said "a noise can seem like it's coming from any direction". Waste of fucking time that was.

Flight959

Reaction score
I bought my 2013 MT09 from a Honda dealer in South London. Its out of YAMAHA warranty. Even though I am not the original owner YAMAHA changed the CCT free of charge as the bike only had 8000 miles. The dealer was under the impression the bike is not safe to ride with a rattling CC. If that chain go's, so does your engine.

Regards

RipGroove

Reaction score
I bought my 2013 MT09 from a Honda dealer in South London. Its out of YAMAHA warranty. Even though I am not the original owner YAMAHA changed the CCT free of charge as the bike only had 8000 miles. The dealer was under the impression the bike is not safe to ride with a rattling CC. If that chain go's, so does your engine.

Regards
Haha that's awesome, a Honda dealer doing more to rectify a Yamaha than a Yamaha dealer! My CCT started rattling when the bike had about 2500 miles on and it seems the only way I'll get it changed is if I pay Yamaha the £164 they quoted me. Mines not actually rattling as bad as some of the others I've seen but it's definitely pretty noisy. I showed 2 dealers while the bike was under warranty and as above the first one didn't even look properly as they said my exhaust was too loud and the second dealer just flat out didn't care and said that although its noisier than it should be its not the worst they've heard so it must be fine. They also fed me some BS about the MT-09 engine not having "sound deadening material" inside like most engines do so it will be a noisier engine!

First dealer was Skellerns in Cheltenham, second dealer was Skellerns in Worcester (where I bought the bike from brand new).

I think from now on I'll have to ride even further to a different dealer for services etc as my two local dealers just seem useless.

Sent from my iPhone 

RipGroove

Reaction score
Atrocious service from your two local dealers, RP. Especially given one was the supplying dealer.
I know, pretty pissed off to be honest as neither dealer has been very helpful. My Akra scraped the road at the bottom of a long downhill section after about 1500 miles also, normal road, no bumps steps or drains etc, with just me on the bike (90kg with full gear) so I complained to Yamaha that if it done that with just me on the bike how on earth can I take a pillion?! They told me to take it to Skellerns in Cheltenham, when I got there the bloke just glanced at the bike in the car park and said "well I can't see anything wrong". Absolutely useless. Yamaha (Worcester) supplied and installed the Akra with no mention that there's a possibility it'll scrape the road with just one person on the bike let alone two! If I ever buy a brand new or slightly used bike again it will probably be from a Honda dealership.

Sent from my iPhone 

Fulfilled-09

Reaction score
You should perhaps consider making a complaint to Yamaha, stating all the issues and woeful customer care you've experienced to date from this so-call dealer. Email customer service on [email protected] copying in the dealer and express your concerns in a strong by polite manner detailing as much of the dreadful service you have experienced. I'd be surprised if you don't see some form of reprieve.

RipGroove

Reaction score
You should perhaps consider making a complaint to Yamaha, stating all the issues and woeful customer care you've experienced to date from this so-call dealer. Email customer service on [email protected] copying in the dealer and express your concerns in a strong by polite manner detailing as much of the dreadful service you have experienced. I'd be surprised if you don't see some form of reprieve.
Yeah maybe, even they've not been very helpful though, they just keep telling me to go to my dealer, where I just get fobbed off, I just end up going round in circles.

Sent from my iPhone 

LewFZ1

Reaction score
I have been having a running battle with Yamaha (Spain) about the CCT since I bought the bike. My 09 is a 2013 model but it was a very low miler (875kms/550miles) they said there was nothing wrong with it. Their main dealer in Alicante said they adjusted it and it should be fine. I have an extended warranty by Yamaha /Mondial for a year. I have now moved to France and took the bike to them for servicing and asked them to check the CCT out. They said it needs changing. I contacted the Alicante dealers and told them this, at first they blanked me but I kept pestering them. The dealer in France contacted the Yamaha /Mondial warranty company who said the warranty was only valid in Spain. Now I am not the brightest bulb on the tree but Mondial when translated means Worldwide!!!!!!They asked for the VIN number of the bike and when given they said this item had already been dealt with as a warranty claim and it was highly unlikely to need replacing again after a further 1500kms. I pestered the Alicante dealers again and asked why they had made a warranty claim for the CCT and not changed it. This got the dealers attention and they said they would get back to me. They have and they said the warranty claim was for the drive chain adjusting billets and not the CCT. They said they also checked back and they had been instructed by Yamaha Spain to change my CCT in May. I had an email from Alicante Yamaha this week saying I should contact my local dealer here in France as they had been advised that Yamaha Spain have contacted Yamaha France and given the go ahead for a new CCT to be fitted. Bike is booked in for this coming Tuesday. Stiil think shady dealings going on with Spain and the dealers, still hopefully this will now be a result. My bike was okay to ride as the french dealer said all it is is just noisy when really cold and it will quieten down. It did and yes it got less noticeable when warm, still fecking annoying though.

Last edited: