Cam Chain Poll - Who has or hasn't had issues

Has Your MT-09 Suffered Cam Chain Issues

• YES, I've had more than one replacement tensioner

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kriss

Reaction score
bought my bike new 18th may 2015 and went in for 600 mile service about a month ago since then not rode bike until Saturday just gone so gets bike out with 610 miles on clock and gets about 20 miles from home and hear this rattling sound at about 4 k so pulled over thinking something was loose but found nothing. Saturday I covered 210 miles so 820 miles on clock now total so could it be my camchain rattling or would this bike have the mk3 version adjuster and me being paranoid or could I have a rattly problem on a bike so new ?

Reaction score
MK3, MK2 or first edition CCT would depend on how long the bike was sitting on the showroom floor before purchase. My engine number is just into the 6000's and I've no problems with the CCT.

kriss

Reaction score
MK3, MK2 or first edition CCT would depend on how long the bike was sitting on the showroom floor before purchase. My engine number is just into the 6000's and I've no problems with the CCT.
my bike wasn't in showroom was ordered when I was sat with dealer and said it would be 2 weeks which it was.my engine number ends in 0027471 if that's any use but as I say it may just be me being paranoid.

Reaction score
Eventually had mine replaced, it hit 2 years old last week, I have complained to my local dealer many times in the last 2 years and 12000 miles, I thought I would pop in 1 more time when it was still under warranty for 1 last try and they agreed to do it. Rattle now gone!

Reaction score
Thought i'd add my experiences on this so far.

It sounds like a someone rattling a bag of marbles

Mine started to make this noise within the first few hundred miles, had it back to the dealer, told me not to worry about it and see if it goes after first service. Took it to another dealer and they admitted there was a known issue and made the adjustments spoken about on here; didn't work and the issue retrned immediately.

First service happened and it was resolved - but there was no mention of anything done.

Recently at around 2000miles its come back again, but as it was previously, seems to come and go, I don't know if anyone else finds this.

My thoughts are that its sensitive to the viscosity of the oil and when its chewed up its doesn't offer the same properties as it doesn't when new.

I normally swap the oil every 2000miles but I don't think i should have to in order to erradicate this ....

Last edited:
Reaction score
MrMortar, I found mine was intermittant, but overall I wouldnt really worry to much.I had mine changed at 12000 miles, and it had rattled intermittently over that whole time and 2 years. It wont cause any problems, and the new one seems OK so far but has only been in about 400 miles so far