Custom Parts for the MT 09 - UK / EU

Chaz

Reaction score
Posted this in the General forum, might be more suitable here....

So I have recently invested in a milling machine which I have modernised. It is very capable and does Aluminium milling with relative ease. I cut some Damasteel (stainless steel) yesterday and I this went fairly well.

Point is, do people see a need for more custom bits for the MT 09? Perhaps rear sets ..... current options seem limited and expensive.

Thoughts? If you would like a part, give me an idea of what you think is a reasonable price. Happy to knock up some CAD drawings for further discussions.

motomed

Reaction score
After my test ride on a Tracer, I thought it would benefit from some CNC handlebar risers, about an inch higher or so.

The ones listed in the Yamaha accessories list (adjustable and made by Gilles) are very nice but a whopping £200.
Some nicely machined ones (without the fancy adjustment) would be a good offering I reckon.

Good luck with the modelling and milling.

Chaz

Reaction score
After my test ride on a Tracer, I thought it would benefit from some CNC handlebar risers, about an inch higher or so.

The ones listed in the Yamaha accessories list (adjustable and made by Gilles) are very nice but a whopping £200.
Some nicely machined ones (without the fancy adjustment) would be a good offering I reckon.

Cool, checking it out, thanks.

Chaz

Reaction score

Ok, found them. They look nice but very pricy.

Can you tell me the handlebar diameter size and the bolt size? Not important, would like to draw to scale but I can still draw something up for 'review' and see what it will cost to do.

motomed

Reaction score
Ok, found them. They look nice but very pricy.

Can you tell me the handlebar diameter size and the bolt size? Not important, would like to draw to scale but I can still draw something up for 'review' and see what it will cost to do.
I think the handlebar diameter is 27mm at the mounting point.
The top clamp bolts are M8 x 1.25.
I think the mounting bolts are M10 x 1.25.

Hope that helps.

Chaz

Reaction score
I think the handlebar diameter is 27mm at the mounting point.
The top clamp bolts are M8 x 1.25.
I think the mounting bolts are M10 x 1.25.

Hope that helps.
Great, thanks. Im still learning with this CAD, drawing some rearsets now (not to scale, just to see if I can get something that looks decent). Ill start on the bar risers after.

Chaz

Reaction score
Obviously only one part of a rear set, but was just a quick test to see. Let me draw those bar risers and see.

RearSetMT09Fake.jpg

MT09RearSetCMC_2015-Aug-23_03-11-50PM-000_CustomizedView8015017.jpg

MT09RearSetCMC_2015-Aug-23_03-10-44PM-000_CustomizedView13801133.jpg

MT09RearSetCMC_2015-Aug-23_03-12-42PM-000_CustomizedView14694566.jpg

Chaz

Reaction score
They look crap as small images. Let me upload one decent sized one.

Last edited:

Chaz

Reaction score
Or some different colours to show.

So drew a quick bottom half of the Bar Risers. Not exactly the same but I certainly used theirs for guidance / inspiration. Of course this can be modified.

MartinB

Reaction score
Chaz

What CAD are you using ? I might be able to hand over all the stuff I designed for the SX

Cheers

Chaz

Reaction score
Fusion 360. Its free for students and people earning less than $100K from it. Really awesome, cloud based. Welcome anything I can try and work with.

Just to show how powerful this is, I rendered the last item out of glass, lol, nice to see the inner details.

MartinB

Reaction score
OK looks good, I use Autodesk Inventor, Same company who make fusion 360, In fact a lot of the fusion stuff is used in Inventor. watch this space I might dump the lot on you.

Good work, what Mill did you get, I have a small lathe, milling machine is next!

Cheers

Chaz

Reaction score
I have a Denford Triac VMC with ATC. The ATC part is not working 100% but have replaced most of the old electronics (cost me more than hoped / expected) but touch wood, sorted now.

Ye, Inventor is similar and same company ... it might actually be fairly straight forward if you were going to move over to it.

What size stuff can you turn?

MartinB

Reaction score
90 mm over bed and about 400mm ish between centres, however I have only done smaller stuff up to about 50mm Dia. however headstock pass thru is only 20mm

(I worked for Autodesk for 12 years) so I kinda now their products :rolleyes:

Treble

Reaction score
Impressive.
I have some Damasteel,so I have to take some measurements on my bike tomorrow.

Last edited:

Swagger

Reaction score
What about something like this top clamp. Maybe the guys with Tracers want to add functionality to their machines and don't want drill holes in plastics etc. I had these things made up for Super Tenere's (by Highway Dirt Bikes in Canada) but you can design them to go on most bikes. We sold loads. This was an early pic but mine has micro switches, LED lamps, two ram balls on for sat nav one for phone, powerlet socket, it held the tax disc tube when they a requirement. They really are versatile.

image.jpg

Chaz

Reaction score
What about something like this top clamp. Maybe the guys with Tracers want to add functionality to their machines and don't want drill holes in plastics etc. I had these things made up for Super Tenere's (by Highway Dirt Bikes in Canada) but you can design them to go on most bikes. We sold loads. This was an early pic but mine has micro switches, LED lamps, two ram balls on for sat nav one for phone, powerlet socket, it held the tax disc tube when they a requirement. They really are versatile.

View attachment 3434
Thanks. Nice idea that. Do you have any higher res pictures you can post or email please?

Thanks

Chaz

Reaction score
90 mm over bed and about 400mm ish between centres, however I have only done smaller stuff up to about 50mm Dia. however headstock pass thru is only 20mm

(I worked for Autodesk for 12 years) so I kinda now their products :rolleyes:
Ye, I spotted your photobucket username was related too ;p

Chaz

Reaction score

View attachment 3434
I had a crash with the software but managed to get a screenshot before I lost most of the work :-(

Not a perfect match, guessed measurements, but fairly straight forward.