Dealer changed tyres now brakes feel different/brake light doesn't come on...

Thunder Child

Reaction score
Long story short - local dealer changed tyres on my 09 after I got a flat.

I get the bike back and notice they've moved my brake lever setting. During the ride home I notice it feels like the lever is engaging further out than usual.
Have also noticed that I can stop from 60kph with normal braking levels without triggering the front brake switch. Which is obviously not correct.

Any thoughts? I'm no bike mechanic but everything looks undamaged. The calliper bolt heads looks like the pulled the callipers off to remove the wheel. Brakes don't feel spongy. Harder if anything.

Any thoughts?

flipper

Reaction score
I assume you mean front brake lever setting - change it back.

The brakes will feel different after the wheel has been out and back in; they always do. Pistons will be sitting in slightly different places to where they were. You cannot remove the wheel without taking the calipers off.

Does the brake light come on at all with the front brake?

Thunder Child

Reaction score
I assume you mean front brake lever setting - change it back.

The brakes will feel different after the wheel has been out and back in; they always do. Pistons will be sitting in slightly different places to where they were. You cannot remove the wheel without taking the calipers off.

Does the brake light come on at all with the front brake?
I don't mean lever setting. I've got FP racing levers and the adjuster on them doesn't move the actual pusher. Just the lever position.

Brake light comes on, but only after much more brake pressure than before. As I said in the OP I can stop from 60kph in a timely fashion without the brake light being turned on because I do t need to pull on the lever as much now.

misscrabstick

Reaction score
There's a microswitch under the lever bracket that the lever releases as you pull the brake, you can hear it click when the lever is pulled, just a crazy theory but did they drop your bike and break your lever and then replaced it with something that's not quite correct? otherwise I would say that you need to investigate for a bad switch.

Ahh edit as I see you have aftermarket levers, all you can do is check the switch is located correctly, usually there is one screw and a pip and hole arrangement to align it correctly, I just checked on my MT and the lamp comes on just as the freeplay is used up and the lever pushes on the piston.

Last edited:

Kinjane

Reaction score
If you want the brake light to activate with less lever movement simply shorten the length of the exposed plastic plunger on the micro switch with a very sharp blade.

Twozup

Reaction score
If you want the brake light to activate with less lever movement simply shorten the length of the exposed plastic plunger on the micro switch with a very sharp blade.
Think the op is saying he has the opposite problem KJ.

There is a slim possibility brakes are now operating properly after not being just right after changing the levers??

I'd get it back to dealer asap mate even if it's something you could eventually work out they should get your wheel/ calipers back off clean everything up and put it together again making sure all is as should be

Don't take a chance on the brakes mate.

Can I have a few weeks in Lanzarote for Christmas this year please.

Kinjane

Reaction score
Worked on mine, the brake light now activates before the brake does. Nice feature to have sometimes!