drive chain adjustment

flydnb

Reaction score
so do any of you guys use the torque settings as stated in the manual or do you just do it nice and tight as in old school .

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
so do any of you guys use the torque settings as stated in the manual or do you just do it nice and tight as in old school .
Defo torque setting as the rear spindle is not that good. Nice and tight mite result in snapping it. Obviously that's just my opinion.

MT-09 Wheelie Wheelie mental.....!

Fish1216

Reaction score
Same here, did it the otherday just under 1200 miles, pain in the arse tho, the markers are useless, accurate to 2-3mm, I used a vernier to measure between the swingarm and the adjuster block to true it up ( same way I do my arm on my drag bike), will be using a lazor line next time.

pipski99

Reaction score
I have no torque wrench yet. Maybe should invest in one but hadn't thought about it just for the chain adjustment. I always just worked on having the right amount of movement in the chain before.

flydnb

Reaction score
I have no torque wrench yet. Maybe should invest in one but hadn't thought about it just for the chain adjustment. I always just worked on having the right amount of movement in the chain before.
yeah its for tourqing the axle nut mate.

M

MT account

if i dont tighten the axle nut with a long bar on my ER6 the chain tightens up on its own.........and we're talking 'jumping on the bar' tight!

Cypher

Reaction score
Maybe I should check the slack on mine for the first time after the first 2100 miles :D

flydnb

Reaction score
I took my bike to my dealer today and thought my chain needed adjustment anyway he said its fine and I trust him but he said the 5mm slack guideline in the manual seemed way to tight, so he phoned Yamaha uk and they also said that seems to tight so they said also said to not tighten to 5mm, its all very odd lol, do any of you know anything of this ? triple maybe your mechanic can help out here ?

stevecbr

Reaction score
manual says 5-15mm, seems tight to me. Will check mine tomorrow, I guess mine will be 20mm, which is what I will keep it at.
5mm would be really tight. A tight chain can wreck the gearbox sprocket bearing, which can be a bastard to replace

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I took my bike to my dealer today and thought my chain needed adjustment anyway he said its fine and I trust him but he said the 5mm slack guideline in the manual seemed way to tight, so he phoned Yamaha uk and they also said that seems to tight so they said also said to not tighten to 5mm, its all very odd lol, do any of you know anything of this ? triple maybe your mechanic can help out here ?
funny enough we were talking about the chain tension the other day and both "my mechanic" and myself think 5-15mm is far too tight so we settled for 20-30mm as that's usually the rule of thumb..

no problems so far..!

PaulG

Reaction score
funny enough we were talking about the chain tension the other day and both "my mechanic" and myself think 5-15mm is far too tight so we settled for 20-30mm as that's usually the rule of thumb..

no problems so far..!
I went through the aligning countershaft,swingarm pivot and rear axle procedure and set the chain slack at that position to 5mm.
When the bike is on the side stand or the rear is fully extended,this setting results in a slack of 20 mm to 30 mm.
This is the amount of slack you should keep it to.

Slappyhead

Reaction score
Which dealer do you use Fly? We are moving to Poole this summer.....

Kinjane

Reaction score
Picked mine up today, chain slack was set as per manual which is most definitely wrong. Suspension travel was being restricted by the chain.

Once I get a centre stand fitted I'll remove the monoshock and run the swing arm through its full arc of travel to find out what the minimum amount of slack is so as not to put the chain (and bearings) under any stress.

Until then I'm running at 20mm on standard suspension settings.