ECU Flash

John Barlow

Reaction score
I love the engine on the Tracer but I know because of EU emissions laws the poor thing is being strangled, and a recent 1600 mile trip down to the French Pyrenees just confirmed this. On the slow twisty mountain passes in low gear the engine felt as if it was constantly "searching" and not running smoothly as it should. On the fast (80mph plus) roads when you roll off the throttle it feels like you have hit a brick wall with its excessive engine breaking. So after umming and arring about it I finally took the plunge and had it flashed today by Simon at S-Tec in Newbury.
Firstly thank you to Simon, what a nice guy but more importantly he knows what he is talking about! He very kindly stripped off all the plastics which is no mean feat (and replaced the blown auxiliary fuse!!) and did his magic on the ECU. What a difference!! It is now I am sure the engine the Yamaha engineers designed in the first place before EU Bureaucrats killed it. Smooth, responsive, fast and I can now ride it in A mode without that "on-off" throttle feeling and fuck me is it fast ??. As this bike is for me a keeper £300 was well worth every penny (cheaper than a replacement pipe or power commanders etc.) So....would recommend Simon to any one of you and if you are too far away you can take the ECU out yourself and post it to him and he will return it in 24 hours (assuming you are not a mechanical nincumpoop like me!!).

Happy customer ?

John Barlow

Reaction score
You will notice the difference, wish I had done it sooner, like prior to my trip ?

Kinjane

Reaction score
Have it set to run A mode on start up - it'll save you pressing the mode button every time you go for a ride. I didn't and it's my one regret.

Fulfilled-09

Reaction score
Actually, default to A-mode on start up is the one feature I don't want. The dealers can detect it and I like selecting it personally. I generally commute through town in STD, but enjoy selecting anarchic mode on the fly.

Fulfilled-09

Reaction score
Another very satisfied customer of the S-Tec ECU flash here :eek:

If anyone is considering getting their ECU flashed by Simon at S-Tec, then I can assure you it's well worth doing. At low revs, it's very smooth and responsive, but this compliments the aggression of acceleration, which is noticeable. More power is available from the same amount of throttle twist than before on the standard map. This increase of power is beautifully linear. In addition, my SP Engineering full system is monstrously loud, but post flash, it sounds less hectic with the cracking/popping removed, but again, it's sounds smoother yet still loud and aggressive. Simon's tech and bike knowledge is enviable and very impressive (I hope he doesn't mind me saying borderline geek knowledge ;)), as is his workshop. He has a natural and friendly service to match. Well worth the money and the icing on the cake for the mods I've done. Chuffed? Yes.

Ratcatcher

Reaction score
After reading all the posts the ECU flash looks to be the way to go. But I am up in Edinburgh and would have to take it off myself so how easy is it to do?
Also my Tracer is standard so what benefits will I get? does it effect mpg at present I get 57mpg
Cheers Ken

Shaun64

Reaction score
I would also be interested to know if having the ecu flashed makes mpg worse or better?.

Ratcatcher

Reaction score
Spoke to Simon today and he went through the ECU removal process and the benefits of the flash.So I will have a bash and get the ECU to him so he can work his Magic.
If all sounds good and should make the Tracer better all round.
It will be next month before I get round to it but I will report back on the ease or otherwise of the job.
Ken

EeeTea

Reaction score
Hmmm. This looks rather interesting. I spent £600 having my Mazda 3 flashed at BBR. Best pennies I have ever spent 120BHP to 170HP (poss 200BHP?) :cool: (and better MPGs too)

So would certainly consider getting the bike done. Is there a linky linky to anywhere?

fizzy

Reaction score
Hmmm. This looks rather interesting. I spent £600 having my Mazda 3 flashed at BBR. Best pennies I have ever spent 120BHP to 170HP (poss 200BHP?) :cool: (and better MPGs too)

So would certainly consider getting the bike done. Is there a linky linky to anywhere?
Just get in touch with TT he'll sort it out for you money well spent

collywog19

Reaction score
Got mine done from someone else, great improvements. A mode is hilarious.

LewFZ1

Reaction score
Question ,when you get the re flash done how will you get on when it comes round to MOT Time surely the bike will fail on the emission tests?

John Barlow

Reaction score
I didn't think that there is a specific emissions test for bikes like there is for cars? I may be wrong as it has been some time since I had a bike MOT'd

Dan Sheridan

Reaction score
We look forward to receiving your ecu
Hello, Triple Trouble! I also would like my ECU to be flashed. But the problem is that your website is closed for my territory and I cannot read what you offer and how much it costs :(

Can we talk here using PMs? Thank you