Engine Noise at Low Revs

Dug

Reaction score
Hi Guys and Girls,

I'm new to to this forum but have just got up to speed on the Tracer threads by skim reading a fair few posts. I've only had a new old stock 2015 Tracer a few weeks but have already done 1500km over mostly 'sporty' (max from 6,000 to <10,000 rpm) country riding in the Hunter Valley NSW and a little bit of two up with the missus/financial controller who approved the vehicle purchase. What a great machine over so far.

When cruising slowly into and through a town after fast open riding I noticed a chain rubbing type noise on the RH side of the motor at low revs. It went away completely at over 3000 or 4000 rpm, with no other issues at all.

Does this sound like the dreaded cam chain tensioner issue common on pre - 2014 Mt09's ?

A general comment and not to derail from the above, I have noticed a fair difference in fuel consumption between a conservative throttle use with STD mode and 'A/Advanced Injury" mode. Is about 250km from full a normal fuel range with sensible riding before hitting the low fuel alert?

Thanks, Dug

stumpy66

Reaction score
I noticed the rattle on mine today, just going to whip it up the dealers to check:confused:

Shaun64

Reaction score
I would say if the noise goes away between 3-4000 rpm your maybe in too high of a gear for your low speed,I've noticed in top gear below 4500 revs the engine wines,your bikes new so it will take you a while to get used to the bikes noises.regards mpg I think the tracer is excellent on fuel mine always show around 60 mpg but it's only just run in.

Dug

Reaction score
Definitely wouldn't describe it as a whine and the motor isn't laboring when the noise was around. To be more specific it sounded like the cam chain rubbing lightly on something and was loudest right about the CCT area. What has it sounded like to others who have had the issue?
Also not being overly loud it might still be present at speed but might not be audible.

Last edited:

Shaun64

Reaction score
I've had a cct go on a triumph street triple and the noise was unmistakable you could here it from the other end of the street a really loud rattle,I would take it back to your dealer and them have a listern,remember triple engines make more noise than inline fours.

stevecbr

Reaction score
When I had my CCT replaced it is an unmistakable rattle,clattering sound not a rubbing sound. it clattered around the 4-5000 rpm mark. It doesnt do any harm, I had mine replaced at 12000 miles, and it had been rattling on and off for 7000 miles.
From what your describing, it sounds to me more like drive chain, either to tight or dry, or maybe both. I know for the original MT the book states 15mm free play in the chain, which most think is to tight. I have mine set at 25-30mm, and I have now done over 15000 miles on the original chain and sprockets, and there is still loads of life left in it

Dug

Reaction score
When I had my CCT replaced it is an unmistakable rattle,clattering sound not a rubbing sound. it clattered around the 4-5000 rpm mark. It doesnt do any harm, I had mine replaced at 12000 miles, and it had been rattling on and off for 7000 miles.
From what your describing, it sounds to me more like drive chain, either to tight or dry, or maybe both. I know for the original MT the book states 15mm free play in the chain, which most think is to tight. I have mine set at 25-30mm, and I have now done over 15000 miles on the original chain and sprockets, and there is still loads of life left in it
Rubbing/clattering yes. It makes the noise even when the vehicle is not moving so it is not the drive chain. I've had singles, twins, triples and fours.

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
Cam Chain Tensioner.
All the syptoms and the period they appear (1500km) reminds me my case..
Put a claim in dealer and go on for a new one..
Until then don't worry that's not harmfull for your engine.
The mechanic's procedure (according Yamaha instructions) is to turn 1/4 with an allen key the first time, then turn until 3/4 and if the rattling noise appears again, then they must change the cct.
Finally i don't think that is a matter of cct versions.
It's just a matter of luck. Other riders with the older models they don't ever listen any rattling at all, other on newer models they are still have the... "rattling".
But, as you wrote that your bike is '15 model, also check for any "updates" that have to be done (i.e. transmision).

Dug

Reaction score
Thanks mate.

We're there any other recalls or defects I can get sorted while I'm there?

Kinjane

Reaction score
Some Tracers suffered with self detaching 'soft ABS side cases' during normal use. WTF!!!

The recall was made to replace the side case locking mechanism with a new part.