First oil change

zivanick

Reaction score
Next week I will be doing my first oil change on the MT09. I like to change it just before winter and just before summer. I was looking at the service manual I got with the bike (on a USB stick - very handy!!!) and it says that the torque settings on the sump bolt is 43nm :confused: this must be a misprint; all my previous bikes had a torque setting of 20nm or less. Surely 43nm must be too tight. I have always done the sump plugs up finger tight then an extra 1/4 turn and i never had one leak.

bobh

Reaction score
43 Nm seems to be the standard tightening torque for all Yamahas, or the wet sump ones anyway. I've had a few, and certainly that's what it gives in the Yamaha owner's manuals for my FZ8 and MT-09, as well as the Haynes manual for the FZ6 that I have now sold.

The quarter-turn trick works for a new compressible washer, but if, like me, you prefer a reusable copper one you need a torque setting because it doesn't compress as much.

stevecbr

Reaction score
I have done my own oil changes for years, did the last one recently on my MT09, but didnt use a torque wrench. I always do them up finger tight, then a 1/4 turn with a socket like you