Fitting LED indicators

thebiker

Reaction score
Hi

I am thinking of buying the Yamaha LED indicator set for my Tracer - I am wondering if they are easy to fit yourself or is it a dealer thing?

Swagger

Reaction score
It depends how savy you are and whether you possess the skills to take a bike apart diligently. They are generally plug and play ... they were on my Tenere. You may need a set of Yamaha specific spacers ... if you do they're about a fiver. The indicators will come with load resistors and you may have to play around with the number of those to determine your flash rate. Very straight forward to the have a go techy types. Pretty sure there's a thread on here on how to do it. Take your time and use proper tools and it's a doddle.

Luke_Price

Reaction score
I fitted mine the other day but I had a set of Yamaha LED's from my old bike which I part x'd for the MT (They were about 2 years old).

I'm not sure if the current ones have the same plug and play connectors as which the OEM indicators have, or if you have to cut a few inches off of the OEM indicator like I did.
I was left with the connector and about 4/5 inchs of wire from the OEM indicators. I then crimped the female bullet connectors (the ones that came with the LED indicators) to the now few inches of wire so I could add the load resistors then connected the indicators into them.

I removed both rear side panels, the plate that holds the seat lock and the rear number plate holder/mudguard. Make sure you've disconnected the indicators,brake light and numberplate light before removing the mudguard.

If you would like me to take some pictures of the connections, just ask...

Matt Grey

Reaction score
I bought the Yamaha LED indicators for my MT09, and they were not plug and play. The OEM indicators and harness connectors are rectangular plastic things, the LED indicators come wired with male bullet connectors.

You'll need to cut off the OEM harness connectors and then crimp female bullet connectors (supplied with the LED indicators) onto the wires, then you can plug in your LED indicators. Rather than wiring in resistors, buy an aftermarket flasher relay on Ebay for about $20 (those are plug and play, if you order the correct model for your bike), then you don't need any resistors.

offo

Reaction score
I find this really stupid that Yamaha advertise the LED indicators as an accessory to the Tracer yet it isn't plug & play, why don't they standardise the connectors & build the resistors (that they supply in the kit) into the body of the indicators so customers don't have all the messing about, life used to be so simple!!!

aceofhearts

Reaction score
Are they any shorter than the standard indicators? Do they still mount to the front panels the same?

thebiker

Reaction score
Had the LED's fitted the other day and they look wonderful but the dealer said they were a right job to fit took them two hours - only charged for one - do like them

Yam MT 09

Reaction score
are there any small led indicators you can buy with the same connectors as the original Yam ones or are they all a cut and solder job ??

aceofhearts

Reaction score
I have just fitted some small LED indicators with my R&G tail tidy so that they clear the pannier racks. I will have to get some pictures :)