Gear Downshift issues. Any ideas please !!!

TheBo

Reaction score
Can anybody help me to understand my strange Gear Changes !!!

Cut a long story short. Whenever I am in 4,5 or 6th Gear, and I brake hard (not downshifting, just pull in clutch) and come to a quick standstill, I cannot see on my display what Gear I am in, goes blank, and I cannot downshift at all. I have to let the clutch out slowly, then will show me what gear I am in, but will still not let me downshift or up shift.To be able to downshift, I have to rev engine (even if I am in 6th gear) and pull away, only then can I downshift normally. My bike does not do this if I brake hard in 3 rd or 2nd gear. I have also replicated this strange gear scenario whilst having my left foot completely off the pegs so that I am sure my feet are not touching the Gear shifter whilst coming to an abrupt stop. My bike does not do this if I am stopping/slowing in a slow manner.
Any ideas ???

Hey Solomon, I was wondering if you've figured out why you were having the shifting issue. I bought a brand new 2016 FZ-09 in January of this year and am having the same exact problem. I'm an experienced rider and have never had this happen on any other bike that I've owned. Here are details from a message I posted on an FZ-09 site shortly after buying the bike:

Downshifting issue on '16 FZ-09

I've seen the same problem reported on this site and others like it so I wonder if there's a solid fix yet or if I just have to deal with it. Unresponsive when downshifting into 3rd, 2nd and 1st. Usually at slow speeds. I've had my brand new '16 FZ-09 for almost 4 months and have had this downshifting issue since day 1. I've gone to the dealership (two different ones) but they like to try and explain away my concerns without even looking at the bike, a 2-minute test ride around the block isn't too helpful. This is my 4th street bike, been riding for 15 years and this shifting issue puts me in precarious positions on a daily basis. Thanks to another post similar to this someone recommended easing off the clutch when the downshift goes 'dead' and that works but it also takes a second to do. It's especially noticeable when coming to a stop or slowing down in general. Most dangerous when having to slow down while lane-splitting. I've tried adjusting the clutch cable every which way, I am only downshifting one gear at a time, not multiple, and I knock it down hard, no pussy-footin'. I call it a dead-pedal because you can feel that no matter how hard you try to knock it down a gear, it's not going - it's dead. The gear indicator display goes completely blank and you're basically in neutral. Because I haven't been helped by a Yamaha dealership in my area, is there a way to contact Yamaha directly so they can arrange to have it looked at by a dealer and kind of heavy hand them into taking a serious look at it?

Solomon, if you're still checking this thread, please let me know how things turned out for you.

-Russ

solomon

Reaction score
Hey TheBo

If you look at comments to my thread (especially from Triple Trouble regarding gears cut this way and an explanation from Misscrabsticks on technical section of this forum) you might find this useful. I have found that since having a new modified clutch cable fitted (original one snapped at 3000km or so) this problem has become less frequent. The original clutch cable has a V bend in it that causes problems as i found out !!!! I also have noticed that by applying softer pressure to downshifting helps a lot. I have had my bike for 1 year now and have done 20,000 km now. Maybe also this helps as everything is well run in and like a fine wine, it gets better with age. I also have noticed with the bike getting older, that the engine revs when throttle fully closed can run too low and sometimes cut out. A mechanic from Austria who I know said this is a common problem with new Yamaha ECU's and software related. Maybe lower engine revs occasionally can affect gear changes. It could however be a fuel problem as fuel here is not the best quality. All in all, gear shift problem much better now with new clutch cable and more gentle pressure on shifter. I hope this helps you. Warmest Regards to California and enjoy your riding !!! At least you dont have to wear crash helmets by law over there :)

robin

Reaction score
Gear shifting

As far as I understand when you shift a gear up or down the gear stick needs to return to it's position. If it doesn't then you will need to add a little drive to the gear box to help it return! This can be done by letting clutch out a little to make the box drive / pull. Then try changing down.

Hope it works !

jimmymac

Reaction score
I get the same problem but it seems to be down to tryin to shift down too quick it kinda goes into a false neutral ,if I get caught out i just have to open clutch slightly till it engages then repeat the process till down to first again

Toppie

Reaction score
Can anybody help me to understand my strange Gear Changes !!!

Cut a long story short. Whenever I am in 4,5 or 6th Gear, and I brake hard (not downshifting, just pull in clutch) and come to a quick standstill, I cannot see on my display what Gear I am in, goes blank, and I cannot downshift at all. I have to let the clutch out slowly, then will show me what gear I am in, but will still not let me downshift or up shift.To be able to downshift, I have to rev engine (even if I am in 6th gear) and pull away, only then can I downshift normally. My bike does not do this if I brake hard in 3 rd or 2nd gear. I have also replicated this strange gear scenario whilst having my left foot completely off the pegs so that I am sure my feet are not touching the Gear shifter whilst coming to an abrupt stop. My bike does not do this if I am stopping/slowing in a slow manner.
Any ideas ???
There's nothing wrong with your bike or your gearbox.
It's a sequential gearbox and you should be changing down to come to a standstill.
If you disengage the clutch on any motorcycle and brake to a standstill, you'll have to fiddle a lot to get it into neutral.
Some are easier that others but, they're all a fiddle.
Clutch 'n jab when you're stopped is the answer.
Watch any motorcycle race, Moto GP, WSBK.....anything.
Look for the riders that slide off track then pick their bikes up.
They've also stopped suddenly in 3rd, 4th , 5th gear.
Watch them frantically try to get their bike back to neutral.
Sometimes it takes so long they have to give up.

Forget sensors, gear cutting and oil issues.
It's normal.
This is how motorcycle gear boxes work.
Once you understand with how your gearbox works, it's pretty easy to live with this situation.

Last edited: