gonna try a tracer

razz

Reaction score
510 miles completed , my poor bum , but hey , i spotted and mt09 , orange and a red tracer today :) loads bikes in fact , the most i`ve seen all year

razz

Reaction score
well at 610 ish miles , the big bus is in for first service n clutch rectification , and I got a black MT07 demo to use , Christ aren't they soooooo SLOW :) but hey , had some fun in the sun n as soon as the big bus is sorted , it's 09 time :) I love these toys ya know

mudrock

Reaction score
Tell me about it, the MT07 ok, but only ok, it always leaving me wanting more.
The fuel economy I'd not that good, 48mpg, when I was running the bike in, I was getting highs of 58 plus.
Started commuting on MT09 , To see if I need to upgrade to a FZ1.
still looking though

razz

Reaction score
Tell me about it, the MT07 ok, but only ok, it always leaving me wanting more.
The fuel economy I'd not that good, 48mpg, when I was running the bike in, I was getting highs of 58 plus.
Started commuting on MT09 , To see if I need to upgrade to a FZ1.
still looking though
hmmmm , fuel economy is something i`ve never really bothered with , would rather have a cracking ride that uses a bit more , than a crap bike that uses less . if you get a chance , try the an fz1 , you`ll never want to ride the mt07 again :cool: and i `ve ridden all 3 this week , the 07 was by far the worst for me

Booney

Reaction score
hmmmm , fuel economy is something i`ve never really bothered with , would rather have a cracking ride that uses a bit more , than a crap bike that uses less . if you get a chance , try the an fz1 , you`ll never want to ride the mt07 again :cool: and i `ve ridden all 3 this week , the 07 was by far the worst for me
Obviously you've not run out of fuel on a French Auto route! I'm afraid it's almost inevitable when you a have a thirsty bike with a small tank,ie Honda Firestorm - 30ish Mpg/16l tank. The KTM SMT was a little bit better but that had to go as I was ripping rear tyres in less than 2000 miles! I think fuel consumption is important if you want to get anywhere fay away from home. Of course you could do what I ended up doing
with the Firestorm and strap a petrol can on the back!
Booney

Booney

Reaction score
Getting back to the topic......
I tried a Tracer yesterday and must say it's pretty good. Very comfortable, reasonable wind protection,ect.
The suspension is not great and the throttle snatch is still there. It is a very different feel to the MT09, you don't feel so connected with the road but at the same time you feel reassured if that makes sense!?
Would I buy one? No! For touring duties I have a Multistrada 1000 SDS Ohlins equipped and it is a very effective tool for carving up mountain roads. Oh, and average Fuel consumption 45mpg/20l tank = 200 mile range no problem. And for local fun the MT09 seems to do the job!
B

Last edited:

My Toy

Reaction score
Firestorm, hah! I was touring Scotland when the fuel crisis kicked off in 2000, never made 16 litres go so far in my life ( sorry for the mini hijack!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Locksmith

Reaction score
Obviously you've not run out of fuel on a French Auto route! I'm afraid it's almost inevitable when you a have a thirsty bike with a small tank
When we used to blat down the France Autoroutes, we would stop every 100 miles, needed to anyway!
Bung the bikes in the back of a van nowdays and wheel them out at the other end to play :)

The good thing about the autoroutes is the signage giving distances to the next couple of watering holes.

EDIT: Just seen your location, wow, jealous or what !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fluke

Reaction score
Gosh I miss my Fz1! Cos I live in London I was always frustrated with the lack of bottom end but as soon as there was a bit of space she hit light speed!
But I need to start at the beginning. I've been a big fan of 1200 Bandits for ages cos I love the bottom end grunt. I changed up to the Fazer and had my socks blown right off.
It's amazing what a difference a few years makes to bike technology and the difference between a mk1 bandit circa 1999 and an '07 Fazer was ridiculous.
Ridiculous acceleration, smooth confident handling, great looks, (sigh)
I did loads of European trips and thought this bike was the absolute bollocks.
Razz, if you're reading this, I can thoroughly recommend doing the airbox mod. More info here, FZ1s gen 2 airbox mod
I also recommend the Michelin PR 4's. Utterly phenomenal grip, great in the wet and one set lasted me 9000miles!
Anyway, I'd been stuck in London a while much as I loved the fazer, I missed the Bandit's grunt. The fazer just isn't a town bike:(
A mixed blessing came along when the Fazer got a bit destroyed and I had to go shopping.
I spoke to my mechanics to ask what they thought and was told to test ride an MT09. I don't need to tell you what happened next.
My stable currently contains a mental MT09 with more bottom end than a bull with its nuts in a vice and a 1200 bandit for when I'm poodling around with the missus on the back.
Razz, I've got to tell you I'm not sure if I'm more jealous of you with your perfect garage or Booney cos of what's outside his garage.
Fuck it, when the sun comes out I'm off to visit Booney. A bientot, mon pot.

Booney

Reaction score
Yeah well Locksmith just remember paradise doesn't exist anywhere - it's peeing down here -AGAIN!
Btw - I'm a Kentish man myself, still come and visit family from time to time but hate how busy it is there now. Guess that's progress!?
Fluke - If u like a bit of bottom end (Engine torque guys!) then you can't beat a V/L twin. A Multi makes more and lower down than the MT + mine's tuned up a bit so even better!

razz

Reaction score
Gosh I miss my Fz1! Cos I live in London I was always frustrated with the lack of bottom end but as soon as there was a bit of space she hit light speed!
But I need to start at the beginning. I've been a big fan of 1200 Bandits for ages cos I love the bottom end grunt. I changed up to the Fazer and had my socks blown right off.
It's amazing what a difference a few years makes to bike technology and the difference between a mk1 bandit circa 1999 and an '07 Fazer was ridiculous.
Ridiculous acceleration, smooth confident handling, great looks, (sigh)
I did loads of European trips and thought this bike was the absolute bollocks.
Razz, if you're reading this, I can thoroughly recommend doing the airbox mod. More info here, FZ1s gen 2 airbox mod
I also recommend the Michelin PR 4's. Utterly phenomenal grip, great in the wet and one set lasted me 9000miles!
Anyway, I'd been stuck in London a while much as I loved the fazer, I missed the Bandit's grunt. The fazer just isn't a town bike:(
A mixed blessing came along when the Fazer got a bit destroyed and I had to go shopping.
I spoke to my mechanics to ask what they thought and was told to test ride an MT09. I don't need to tell you what happened next.
My stable currently contains a mental MT09 with more bottom end than a bull with its nuts in a vice and a 1200 bandit for when I'm poodling around with the missus on the back.
Razz, I've got to tell you I'm not sure if I'm more jealous of you with your perfect garage or Booney cos of what's outside his garage.
Fuck it, when the sun comes out I'm off to visit Booney. A bientot, mon pot.
dude , a great post , i`ll get a few more miles on the big bus , then i`ll see what i`m gonna do , if you could just harness together the bottom end power of the mt with the mid/top of the fz1 , what a bike that would be :) was back on the fz today , what a machine :)

Locksmith

Reaction score
Used to love my FZ1S (both of them!) but compared to the MT it was so big and heavy.
Much better tool for high speed - longer distance stuff, but for Sunday morning hoonery the MT wins.

Fluke

Reaction score
Hi Razz
I agree with you and Locksmith.
Can you imagine a Fazer with the MT09 engine?
Now that's a project worth doing:eek:

razz

Reaction score
Used to love my FZ1S (both of them!) but compared to the MT it was so big and heavy.
Much better tool for high speed - longer distance stuff, but for Sunday morning hoonery the MT wins.
and that's exactly what i got the mt for , messing about :) with the odd commute too :)

razz

Reaction score
Hi Razz
I agree with you and Locksmith.
Can you imagine a Fazer with the MT09 engine?
Now that's a project worth doing:eek:
with a turbo too :) the good thing about the fz is , when i leave off , the nice loud pipe , vibrates the buildings :) well thats what they told me :) no sneaking out early for me

Fluke

Reaction score
with a turbo too :) the good thing about the fz is , when i leave off , the nice loud pipe , vibrates the buildings :) well thats what they told me :) no sneaking out early for me
Not sure if a turbo's necessary myself but...
...this nice fella would disagree with me. He seems to make good use of his,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwzCac12KKc
Quite fancy his rear swing arm:rolleyes: