Handle bar riser clamps

Flobalob

Reaction score
Discovered a disaster today whilst checking my bike over i noticed one of the Allen screws poking up from the handle bar clamp!initially i thought it had come loose but on closer inspection the top half of the clamp has snapped which sent a shiver down my spine as i had been out two weeks earlier but never noticed it as i have a sports tank bag in the way.
The bar risers are aftermarket Yamaha genuine ones which were fitted to the bike by the dealer from new!
A few days after ownership i did take the bike back as the bars were definitely on the piss which the dealer had to correct ,this was two years ago ,the bike is 8 days out of warranty.
So i have taken the snapped top bracket back and the first question i was asked no surprise "have you dropped the bike"
No i have not its only done 2500 miles and is obviously immaculate,the service manager actually asked me if i could ride the friggin bike to the shop,i could not believe he said that.
In my opinion its down to over tightening i am awaiting a phone call to see what they are going to do about this situation as im off to the TT in a few weeks
Best take at look and check yours people i know it may be a one off but its worth checking.
The consequences do not bear thinking about!!!:(

Last edited:

Shaun64

Reaction score
When you look at the clamps is there a gap at the front or rear of the clamps?.

Flobalob

Reaction score
When you look at the clamps is there a gap at the front or rear of the clamps?.
Couldn't tell because it was snapped but im going to check the other one,the after market riser tops are much thinner than the stock ones which i still have so i am going to get the new recall ones fitted.
I really believe these have been over tightened when refitted but cannot prove such!!!

Shaun64

Reaction score
I would use a torque wrench on the other side that's not broken, I can't get to my manual now for the correct torque setting but you could try the correct settings to see if the wrench clicks before undoing the bolt.plus find out if the after market clamps have different settings.