Has anyone fitted AIS block off plates ?

TIM80

Reaction score
I'm looking at removing the AIS and fitting block off plates. I would like to hear any feedback from members who already have . I have already flashed my ECU and fitted a Akra carbon exhaust. I would like to know if a retune is required all does the O2 sensor take up any slack? I've seen the youtube on the installation of the plates and seems straight forward enough. The video does not mention removing the reeds before putting the plates on. although I have seen it mentioned in other articles. What is the Go? Please

flipper

Reaction score
what are you hoping to achieve? The O2 sensor only does anything on a closed throttle, or less than 2% or thereabouts.

the AIS only comes into play on deceleration. is it really worth the grief of fitting blanks?

fizzy

Reaction score
I'm looking at removing the AIS and fitting block off plates. I would like to hear any feedback from members who already have . I have already flashed my ECU and fitted a Akra carbon exhaust. I would like to know if a retune is required all does the O2 sensor take up any slack? I've seen the youtube on the installation of the plates and seems straight forward enough. The video does not mention removing the reeds before putting the plates on. although I have seen it mentioned in other articles. What is the Go? Please
TT is right it's a option when you get the flash, , might be worth having it done through the flash

flipper

Reaction score
the OP is in Oz.............. do they have the same flash over there?

TIM80

Reaction score
the OP is in Oz.............. do they have the same flash over there?
AIS turn off option was not available / not recommended when I had my ECU flashed in oz . I am looking at reducing the amount of popping thru my Akra carbon on decel .

flipper

Reaction score
if it were me I'd look to plug the hose from the airbox to the reed valves instead. it's far simpler.

sporti

Reaction score
It's not a hard job & cleans up the popping on deceleration quite nicely. It was ok for the 1st 5 minutes but then became nothing more than wank factor.

I removed the AIS & all the internals & have had no adverse effects after 9000k's

misscrabstick

Reaction score
what are you hoping to achieve? The O2 sensor only does anything on a closed throttle, or less than 2% or thereabouts.

the AIS only comes into play on deceleration. is it really worth the grief of fitting blanks?
This is incorrect, o2 sensors work most of the time the engine is running , they are ignored by the ecu 1) during the warm up cycle 2) during acceleration as richer mixture is required defaults to mapped fueling and finally 3) flat out, this prevents weak mixtures detonating the pistons to death.

AIS throws air into the exhaust to reignite exhaust gases to clean up emissions further precat, the popping starts as the fuel comes back in as the engine speed drops, usually at higher rpm's on deceleration with a closed throttle the fueling is cut off anyway, the AIS will be doing stuff when the throttle is open and the engine is cruising, you just don't hear the popping because there's more exhaust gases in the exhaust and the reburn happens quicker.

flipper

Reaction score
This is incorrect, o2 sensors work most of the time the engine is running , they are ignored by the ecu 1) during the warm up cycle 2) during acceleration as richer mixture is required defaults to mapped fueling and finally 3) flat out, this prevents weak mixtures detonating the pistons to death.
so if they're ignored during warm up, acceleration and full throttle operation they only do anything at very small throttle openings. It is a narrow band sensor, not used for normal fuelling.

Last edited:

misscrabstick

Reaction score
so if they're ignored during warm up, acceleration and full throttle operation they only do anything at very small throttle openings. It is a narrow band sensor, not used for normal fuelling.
No, they work at mostly constant throttle openings, narrow band is old school oxygen sensor technology with a output voltage to the ecu between .1 to around .9 of a volt, wide band sensors are the newer tech sensors, they output higher at a max of around 5 volts, they also can not be checked reliably with a oscilloscope.

Regardless both types work at modifying the fuel mixture at all engine speeds providing its a reasonably constant engine speed, the engine is not cold, and not accelerating, or flat out.

I refer you to this wiki article on oxygen sensors, there is no difference between the theory and operation of motorcycle lambda sensors and cars.

Oxygen sensor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not going to say anything further on this subject, you can believe what you wish to, makes no odds to me, I fix cars every day for a living and have been for years, and emissions diagnostics are one of my specialities.

Last edited:

Twozup

Reaction score
Man knows his stuff ^^^

I quite like the popping and banging on overrun.

But then I am cool for a total gimp.

Can I have a few weeks in Lanzarote for Christmas this year please.

misscrabstick

Reaction score
Man knows his stuff ^^^

I quite like the popping and banging on overrun.

But then I am cool for a total gimp.

If you mean me:D I just looked in my underwear and there is no willy, I am pretty sure that I am a woman who knows her stuff.

Luismn

Reaction score
If you mean me:D I just looked in my underwear and there is no willy, I am pretty sure that I am a woman who knows her stuff.
Miss, what is your opinion regarding block off plates? It is worth the money?
Thanks!

flydnb

Reaction score
Man/woman all the same to me I will do either, its lonely up here in the artic circle. [emoji106]

(Apols miss-c! [emoji177])

Yeah you were saying about this the other day.