Help rain causing big problems!

Flight959

Reaction score
:confused:

Guys,

I am very new to the world of biking (3 Months) and if I am honest I'm not even slightly mechanically minded. Apart from the standard basic checks like oil chain tyres etc I generally get quite lost. My first bike is a 2013 MT 09 and I must say I love it. I use the bike to mainly commute to work which is an 86 miles round trip. I ride in all weather including the rain. Yesterday when I left work the rain was horrific. The rain was that bad. that within just a few miles the water had come through my protective clothing which normally doesn't get breached.

Within 6 miles in the rain I noticed an issue with the power. A twist of the throttle would give me limited power almost like the engine was missing a beat. It was most noticeable in 2nd gear to the point it felt like it was actually going to stop and stall. I found pulling the clutch in and revving the engine would temp clear the issue. A few times I had the throttle in the same position holding it around 5k to see if it cleared. An increased turn would make no difference until a few seconds later where the power matched the throttle almost causing the bike to take off! . At speed the issue didn't seem apparent. The bike never stalled. I put the bike away and it started fine this morning but wont be able to ride it until tomorrow where I am attending a bikesafe event.

Has water got into the throttle system, or anywhere else in the bike?

Thoughts or suggestions would be very much appreciated....

Bike is a 2013 MT09. Has Full Ackro system, no others mods except heated grips. currently has 10K and has been well looked after.

Great forum.

Regards

Simon

chump

Reaction score
I would expect that if there was a throttle problem you would have the MIL light on.

Sounds to me like a misfire, probably from water in a plug cap.

Flight959

Reaction score
Is it still under the shop warranty, if it is take it back:confused:
I think that just ran out... The shop (Honda dealer) have been very good sorting out other issues with the bike like a flat battery and a faulty CCT which meant they had to send the bike to YAMAHA. The issue I posted in the above post seems to have cleared. I think the suggestions of water in the plugs was the likely cause. The rain really was horrific.

Does the Rad have to come off to reach the plugs?

Regards

stumpy66

Reaction score
I would of thought the tank off going on previous bikes, don't know on these though, was the CCT a recall job.

chump

Reaction score
according to the service manual the tank, airbox and air induction stuff have to come off.

Flight959

Reaction score
I would of thought the tank off going on previous bikes, don't know on these though, was the CCT a recall job.

Thanks for the responses.

The CCT wasn't a recall. When I bought the bike I got a 3 Month Warranty with it. The salesman said if there are any issues you are not happy with then bring the bike back...(my first bike). After a few days of riding I noticed the rattle. I ignored it at first thinking it was nothing serious. It got louder and louder and more noticeable. I could even hear it over the exhaust! When I returned the bike I told them I thought I was being petty. They checked and confirmed it was the CCT. Although the bike was under warranty with them, they phoned YAMAHA who collected the bike and completed the work. They did mention the recall but I dont know if the previous owner dealt with that.

Regards

stumpy66

Reaction score
Yes mine is a new bike (March) I think mine has the rattle, it is not on the VOSA recall list though, will take it back and mention at first service

stumpy66

Reaction score
Just coming up to 600, it has done it since new, also it sounds like it has a clutch rattle as well, after a run when you put it in neutral clutch really is noisy when you let it out

Fulfilled-09

Reaction score
Mine's on 2700 miles, and is less noisy when disengaging the clutch, but that's just the clutch plates not tight against each other. I'm paranoid about the dreaded CCT rattle, so am on audible alert the whole time!

stumpy66

Reaction score
Thanks for that, didn't know about that will check now, if it does need work I'll never bring it home, they can buy it back, I've never had a new bike that needs to be partially stripped, I'll just have something else, the good news is it is not on Yamaha website, bad news is there is a noise though

Last edited:

stumpy66

Reaction score
If it's nice I'm off to CMC Claycross tomorrow, it's 2 stroke Sunday, so I'll get them to have a listen while I'm there

Flight959

Reaction score
What is your rattle like? You couldn't hear mine on idle. Its was very noticeable at around 4000rpm. Over that engine speed the sound disappeared.

These engines/gearboxes have a real whine....

Regards

stumpy66

Reaction score
Its a proper rattle, you can hear as well when banked over, as if the loose chain is hitting cam chain tunnel, i have clutch noise as well when letting clutch out after selecting neutral, ill run by dealers on dry day or at first service ill mention, ive heard that these triples are noisy though,just seems like alot of noise, and ive had a aprilia Tuono, so i know noisy engines:D