High upright seating position.

s0n1c87

Reaction score
Is it just me or anyone find the seat alittle too front and upright.? I'm coming from a typical street bike fz6. I found it hard to do a smooth sharp turn on the mt09. Just don't hav the confidence to do a fast left/right turn. Felt quite in-confidence whenever I'm approaching the turn. Shld I soften my front fork to lower the front.? :confused:

Twozup

Reaction score
. Shld I soften my front fork to lower the front.? :confused:
No mate you lower the front by dropping forks through the yokes but this bike doesn't need it tbh unless your racing then you'd obviously have decent forks on there anyway

I'm no expert but I'd say best thing you can do it trust yourself- the bike will be able to go around a corner about 20mph faster than you can!
It's because the bike is so different to what you know that causes the panic and tightness

It's all in your head you need to stay loose- don't seize your arms and muscles up that's usually the cause

I'm talking from experience by the way not just out of my arse- I was really bad for panicking when cornering and read some books took some advice then basically forced myself to relax and trust the bike and tyres are always going to be miles more capable than me (mediocre average rider)

Practice starting slowly with hardly any lean but force yourself to slacken your arms shoulders and chest and look where you want to be ie through the corner NOT at the road in front of you.

Go back to the same bend and do it again and again until relaxing becomes easier. No need to go fast just enjoy

Click [HERE] then {HERE}

Twozup

Reaction score
And as you get faster you'll naturally counter steer which you should be aware of anyway coming off anFZ6 but if you do it consciously and practice it becomes even more natural when you do seize up again mid corner- as we all do from time to time when we get things wrong or something unexpected on road etc!!

Click [HERE] then {HERE}

flydnb

Reaction score
I like the upright position but I have had mostly off road type bikes anyway.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No mate you lower the front by dropping forks through the yokes but this bike doesn't need it tbh unless your racing then you'd obviously have decent forks on there anyway

I'm no expert but I'd say best thing you can do it trust yourself- the bike will be able to go around a corner about 20mph faster than you can!
It's because the bike is so different to what you know that causes the panic and tightness

It's all in your head you need to stay loose- don't seize your arms and muscles up that's usually the cause

I'm talking from experience by the way not just out of my arse- I was really bad for panicking when cornering and read some books took some advice then basically forced myself to relax and trust the bike and tyres are always going to be miles more capable than me (mediocre average rider)

Practice starting slowly with hardly any lean but force yourself to slacken your arms shoulders and chest and look where you want to be ie through the corner NOT at the road in front of you.

Go back to the same bend and do it again and again until relaxing becomes easier. No need to go fast just enjoy

Click [HERE] then {HERE}
Twozup is completely rite. A few years ago I had a massive slide on a roundabout (diesel and shit dunlops)! which left me cacking my pants and the result was a major sweat on at the mere thought of tipping it into a corner.
I've been an advanced car driver and bike rider for quite a number of years now so shouldn't of let it affect me at all but because I'm human it did. Twozup is completely rite in his advise to u, relax and just enjoy it. I've since sorted myself out and am back to chucking it in and out of corners like it shud be done lol.
Yamaha say that we can lean our bike over to a massive 51 degrees which is the same lean angle as the R6 so as long as ur tyres are in decent nick and the road conditions permit u 2.... There is no need to panic if u tip it into a corner and like me... Get a bit too excited and scrape the foot pegs. Lol.
Just rite to ur capabilities and it will all come together I promise u and then u WILL start to enjoy urself and corners will b fun once again ?

MT-09 Wheelie Wheelie mental.....!

s0n1c87

Reaction score
Roger that. Guess I just have to ride more to get used to it. Esp the front and rear suspension, give me a really weird feeling. Think it shld take quite sometimes before I find the right setting to suit me.

Twozup

Reaction score
Roger that. Guess I just have to ride more to get used to it. Esp the front and rear suspension, give me a really weird feeling. Think it shld take quite sometimes before I find the right setting to suit me.
It will take time yes- as it is me and prob most of us mere mortals on the site but it should be about enjoying your rides no matter how slow (like me) or fast (triple "Carl Fogarty" trouble) you ride.

There's a hell of a lot to be dais for just riding and enjoying it.

Have fun!!

Click [HERE] then {HERE}

Dzjiepie

Reaction score
Good advices. Dont strech your arms, but bend them. Put your toos one the pegs and not the middle of your feet. Make contact to the tank with your knees. Keep your elbows next to your body.

And ........ relax!

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Steve Hislop - there was a man who could ride a bike!

Think I'll start another thread....

Click [HERE] then {HERE}
I'm reading his auto-biography at the mo. He kicked foggy's arse almost everything they raced lol. I agree tho...! He was a fantastic rider

MT-09 Wheelie Wheelie mental.....!