How much is your bike worth?

davie

Reaction score
How much ? maybe not as much as you think
I went into my local Kawasaki dealership and was browsing the used bikes, the owner started speaking to me and asked how much I thought my 2015 plate was worth in a trade in towards the bike I was sitting on. ( suzuki gsx1250) I told him I was offered £5000 last November at the yamaha dealership, he then came out with his wee book and said it was worth between £4000 to £4500.
The bike I was looking at was £5999, so he said that it would cost me £1250 to change, basically he is giving me £4750 for mine
Just looked on MCN and dealerships are asking £5600, £5700 for the same age and mileage as mine

davie

Reaction score
I am taking it out on Sat morning, if I really like it I will try and get trade in price down to £1k.

If not, no problem as can still keep my bike

davie

Reaction score
I was offered £3800 last year on my 2013 MT09 and it had done 18000 miles against the tracer 700. Guess its worth about £3600 now
That makes the book prices quoted to me as crap then, he said £4000 to £4500 for a 15 plate bike, so if I had high mleage that would mean it would be worth £4000, which is only £200 more than you were offered last year.

otaylor38

Reaction score
What its worth and what you are offered as a trade in value are completely different things.

It's worth what somebody is willing to pay. If you go on ebay or autotrader and see what they're going for on a private sale.. you should be able to get quite abit more than what the dealer is offering.

A little more hassle.. but you'll be in a better position once its gone.. if thats the route you want to go down.

LewFZ1

Reaction score
I have a low miler 2013 bike, 12500kms so what 8000 miles if that is the market value I will just hang onto it and next year when I am after a Tracer will haggle a decent deal as no trade in.

Reaction score
I think now that the new 'tarty' mt09 is out the older models will lose a bit of value anyway, personally i'd rather pay more for a nice pre-facelift with maxton suspension than the new shape, but it depends on what the buyer is looking for.
The MT09 has been a big seller - and rightfully so, but that means there are plenty of mt's about with low mileage, good condition and fitted with loads of accessories, so buyers have plenty of options.

I'm not too bothered about value as i bought mine with the intention of keeping it a while, it ticks all the boxes i want, so by the time i sell mine it'll probably only be worth a couple of grand!

Shaun64

Reaction score
when i bought my tracer last April I had two bikes to get rid of a 2014 triumph daytona 14.000 miles so high milage dealers offered me from 4-5 thousend pounds,I put it on eBay as a classified add cost £15 for £5450 I sold in 2 days for the asking price,I also had a Honda transalp 700 dealers offered me £2800-900 for it trade in,I did the same with this and got £3350 for it,that's £800 for two £15 ads so if you can be arsed I would try private first but price the bike sensibly as you can't ask what dealers ask as you don't offer finance or warranty.

LewFZ1

Reaction score
Shaun I get what you are saying re high mileage 2014 bike with 14,000 miles, to you and me that is not high mileage. But has anyone ever had a dealer say the mileage may be a bit high but let's face it modern bikes these days will last for a 100,000 miles so I would not be to worried about the mileage.
I have a mate who had a Kawasaki Z1000SX, 2011 he ran that bike day in day out , looked after it serviced on the dot , he clocked 90,000 miles on it. He went for a BMW 1000r thingy, obviously the dealer said no way will I take that, but to seal the deal I will give you a £1000 for it as scrap value. No discount my BMW I will hang onto the SX. I think he got £750 off the BMW and sold the SX on Ebay for £2450 for breaking. Lad wanted the Frame, wheels and tank etc! as his bike was trashed but his engine had only run 1800miles, win win all round for everyone.

Last edited:

Shaun64

Reaction score
Lew your right milage is nothing these days but it does affect the value which is good news for any one who is not scared buy a few extra miles,I recently bought my nieghbours Honda 1100 pan European £400 100400 miles engine sounded great did a few jobs on it and sold it for £650 if the bike hadn't taken too much room up in my garage I would have kept it as a winter bike,there are some real Bargin bikes out there with just a few too many miles on them for the sales room.

davie

Reaction score
IMG_20170213_150913.jpg

I took my bike out for spin today to heat up chain, as I was going to clean and oil it.
I stuck the soft panniers on to the bike, just to see how they looked alongside the top box .
I am thinking my bike is worth more to me than any trade in or private sale and am thinking of just spending a wee bit if money on her.
Thinking of adding a vario screen and may be hand guards and it would look a bit like my Versys 650 that I had , but a lot faster.

Last edited:

Davy

Reaction score
I've had the Vario screen and hand guards on mine but have since took them off. The screen was good for motorway speeds at it's highest setting but if pushed a little more it flexed a bit, and it must've been connected to the throttle because it tended to make me drive a little* bit faster. Also I wear earbuds but the odd occasion I forgot them you get more wind noise.
I got hand guards off a Street Rally and painted them matt black. They made the bars even wider and the ends were lighter than the bar ends I took off making the bars at bit vibey. In the end I took them off as my right thumb was going numb after about an hour.
I've since decide if I want all that I'll bite the bullet and get a Tracer.

davie

Reaction score
I tried a tracer, but dealer wanted £1,800 to change, probably went up a bit since then as well, as the value of my bike seems to have fallen since then.
I have a few things happening this summer, new grandchild , sons wedding, sons stag trip to Budapest, Tenerife holiday, so I don't really want to spend too much, that is why I looked at the gsx1250.
I will try the Suzuki and if I really like it, I will make an offer, if not then I will look at my mt09

Shaun64

Reaction score
Is it wind noise that's the problem? Like Davy says try ear plugs,I didn't start wearing ear plugs untill I bought my tracer as with the standard screen the wind noise was bad so I started to use work wear type ear plugs which made it better ,I then bought some ultimate ear protection plugs the type they take a mould of your ear,there not cheap £100 ish but I wouldn't be without them now.

davie

Reaction score
No, it was not wind noise when I tried the tracer, it actually felt like turbulence shaking my head from both sides. I usually wear ear plugs when commuting to work as I have to wear them in my workplace.

Locksmith

Reaction score
Interesting thread. I popped into my local dealers and had a look at the new MT-09 yesterday.
Lovely looking bike in the grey colour, thinking about trading up.
They priced my bike (as std condition) at £4100. It's a 14 plate ABS in deep armor with 6000 miles.

I'm wondering what I could get for it privately with the extras in place. Namely ohlins shock and fork springs,EJK fueling kit, flyscreen and yam tail tidy.

Or should I keep it and upgrade to ohlins fork cartridges?

chump

Reaction score
I would have thought you'd be quids in just upgrading the forks. Can't see any advantage the new bike would have.

Reaction score
Interesting thread. I popped into my local dealers and had a look at the new MT-09 yesterday.
Lovely looking bike in the grey colour, thinking about trading up.
They priced my bike (as std condition) at £4100. It's a 14 plate ABS in deep armor with 6000 miles.

I'm wondering what I could get for it privately with the extras in place. Namely ohlins shock and fork springs,EJK fueling kit, flyscreen and yam tail tidy.

Or should I keep it and upgrade to ohlins fork cartridges?
Well, really how much of an advantage are you going to get by getting a new one? considering yours sounds pretty well sorted, is the new headlight and rear bling worth a lot more than what the fork cartridges will cost?

IMHO i'd keep yours, do the cartridges and maybe get a second hand 2017 that's nicely run-in when they've dropped a grand this time next year!

Locksmith

Reaction score
My head tells me exactly the same thing, but my heart........ :lol