I'm finally sorting out the MT's suspension...

RipGroove

Reaction score
It's booked in to JHS Racing in Keynsham near Bristol on the 29th April to have the following fitted:

• Ohlins 46DR rear shock with spring for my weight
  • Andreani 20mm fork cartridges & springs for my weight
  • Ohlins fork oil

It's the exact same kit that Omnia Racing supply from Italy, here:

https://www.omniaracing.net/en/andr...-absorber-ohlins-for-yamaha-2013-p-20037.html

JHS Racing were kind enough to put a 'ride in ride out' package deal together for me which basically price matches the parts from Omnia Racing and also includes fitting and a static suspension setup to my weight and riding style.

Total cost £1130

It works out that about £300 of that cost is for fitting and set up, yes I could have fitted it myself but I'd still want to take it in for set up anyway so figured why the hell not, this way I'll get to go out for lunch or something and wander around Bristol while someone else gets their hands dirty :D

I can't praise JHS enough as for £34.99 they did a static suspension setup for me last year on my MT and even with stock suspension components the bike felt so much better afterwards. If you live anywhere within riding distance of them or any other reputable suspension place I'd highly recommend having a static setup done no matter what suspension hardware you have on your bike.

I've read nothing but good thing about this combination of rear shock and fork internals so hopefully the bike will ride like a dream afterwards! I did initially price up for Ohlins front & rear but with fitting and set up the cost is around £1800 and from what I've heard the Ohlins fork internals do not perform £700's worth better than the Andreani internals.

Sent from my iPhone 

Last edited:

RipGroove

Reaction score
I thought the DR was a gas shock not an emulsion ?
I believe you're right, I quoted 46DR when making the deal. But for some reason in an email I received from JHS they've quoted "Ohlins 46DR Emulsion".

I'll email them to clarify.

Sent from my iPhone 

RipGroove

Reaction score
I thought the DR was a gas shock not an emulsion ?
This is the reply I got:

"Yes this is the same shock! And it is an emulsion shock, which means the gas and oil are contained within the same canister, not separately such as a de-carbon fully adjustable."

https://www.ohlins.eu/en/products/motorcycle/ya-335--4736/

So I guess it depends how you perceive "emulsion". Technically the gas and oil are both contained within the main body BUT as far as I can see this shock has an internal separate reservoir for the gas so technically the oil and gas are not mixed. Am I right here?

Either way from what I've read this combo of shock and fork internals on the MT will be money well spent so I'm happy.

Sent from my iPhone 

Last edited:

Kinjane

Reaction score
Rip, any updates/thoughts on your suspension combo... Ohlins 46DR rear shock, Andreani 20mm fork cartridges & springs, Ohlins fork oil.

I'm looking at upgrading the Yamaha suspension soon and they seem to 'push' the K-tech 20mm IDS cartridges

Kin,

RipGroove

Reaction score
It's being fitted this Friday so as soon as I've got a good ride out in the dry I'll update the thread.

Sent from my iPhone 

RipGroove

Reaction score
All done and as others have said, the bike feels soooooo much better! I only got a quick boring 30 mile ride home on it as it was wet and hail showers most of the way but everything about it felt much improved, cornering, braking, acceleration, and most of all bumps, dips and potholes were soaked up without that jarring pogo stick feel.

At one point I was taking a large roundabout in the wet and hit a patch of potholes about 2" deep and 15ft long while leaning and the bike was completely unfazed by it!

Money well spent IMO so i can't wait for some nice warm weather so I can get out on to some roads that I'm familiar with!

Sent from my iPhone 

RipGroove

Reaction score
Rip, any updates/thoughts on your suspension combo... Ohlins 46DR rear shock, Andreani 20mm fork cartridges & springs, Ohlins fork oil.

I'm looking at upgrading the Yamaha suspension soon and they seem to 'push' the K-tech 20mm IDS cartridges

Kin,
JHS Racing did mention K-Tech today, it seems they do a lot of MT's of various guises and they mainly push:

K-Tech front & rear
Andreani front & Ohlins rear
Ohlins front & rear

All budget dependent of course, I think any combination of the above will be a massive improvement over stock, for me personally I was first drawn to Andreani/Ohlins as Omnia racing had a good package deal so I read up on that combo and couldn't find a bad review so for £1100 all in, supplied, fitted and setup I'm very happy with it. Ohlins front and rear would have been nearer £1600/1700 and from what I've read the Ohlins fronts are not better enough over the Andreani to warrant being double the price.

It might seem like a lot of money but every time I entered a corner with the stock suspension I always knew in the back of my mind that it was the weakest point of my bike, now when I enter a corner I know that I'm the weakest part of the bike so from now on as long as I do my bit right the bike 'should' look after me with no nasty pogo stick movements.

RipGroove

Reaction score
And because everyone likes photos:

Sent from my iPhone 

Shaun64

Reaction score
Looks nice,have you had bike on any fast bumpy twistie roads yet to see how much difference it's made ?

RipGroove

Reaction score
Looks nice,have you had bike on any fast bumpy twistie roads yet to see how much difference it's made ?
Yeah I have and it really is soooooo much better! With the Andreani cartridges you still feel the bumps but they don't cause a problem at all.

Shaun64

Reaction score
Yeah I have and it really is soooooo much better! With the Andreani cartridges you still feel the bumps but they don't cause a problem at all.
Sounds good ,I am booking mine in tomorrow.

Fulfilled-09

Reaction score
Very nice indeed. I'm booked in at MD Racing in Surrey for about 2 weeks time. Going with the Nitron R1 rear and RaceTec internals up front because that's what budget allows and will be a damn sight better than stock!

RipGroove

Reaction score
Very nice indeed. I'm booked in at MD Racing in Surrey for about 2 weeks time. Going with the Nitron R1 rear and RaceTec internals up front because that's what budget allows and will be a damn sight better than stock!
Awesome! That should make a world of difference.

Cobweb

Reaction score
Had an Ohlins YA335 rear shock fitted to the back of mine and the difference is amazing, it's made a world of difference to the ride and the handling is so much better. It's not even an expensive shock at just less than £400 fitted and set up for my weight and riding style.

Fulfilled-09

Reaction score
The shock and springs took longer than expected to be delivered. However, the bike went in this morning, and I'm collecting tomorrow. Looking forward to the ride to work tomorrow, as there's a variety of roads on the ride in. So far, very impressed with the service and expertise from MD Racing in Surrey.

chump

Reaction score
Had an Ohlins YA335 rear shock fitted to the back of mine and the difference is amazing, it's made a world of difference to the ride and the handling is so much better. It's not even an expensive shock at just less than £400 fitted and set up for my weight and riding style.
Where did you get the shock at that price ?