It's in my garage!

Spot

Reaction score
Finally....
After some last minute shag & hassle (why don't even the best laid plans go smoothly?) my MT-09 is in my grubby hands.
The last time I rode the demo bike was October 2013 so it was with some trepidation I approached my new purchase.
Would it be as good as I remember or a huge disappointment?
First off, I love the look of the special paint job. Not everyone's cup of tea i'm sure but I love it.
Started it up and the Akra sounds wicked. Reminds me a lot of my old Speed Triple with an Arrow but that's where the similarity ends.
Where the 'Trip was a bit lardy and top heavy the MT-09 reminds me of my old 400RR Baby Blade for light weight and chuckability.

I once read that the first 50 miles are the most important in an engines life and that (for example) just jumping on the motorway at a steady speed to run it in can result in bore glazing and you won't get the best performance.
So although the easiest route home from the dealers should've been jumping on the motorway I had already planned a "scenic route" back where I would be guaranteed varied engine speeds and for the first 50 miles I basically ignore the running in rules and give it a bit of thrash - and i've done this with every new bike i've ever owned and when they've been dyno'd the dyno guys have always say it's the most powerful stock bike they've ever seen so I believe it's beneficial. I'll let you know later in the year when I get this beast dyno'd.

The throttle took me by surprise. It is snatchier than I remember especially off a closed throttle (I only used STD mode today) but it's not that bad, easy enough to ride around and i'm sure once a Power Commander or similar is available it'll be possible to dial it out.

It's a bit of a peach of a motor. Lovely response, lovely grunt and has 'character'. I'm in love with it.

I rode out of the dealers on standard suspension settings. I'll give it a few more miles to assess further but it's going to need some tweaking. As I became more confident on the bike and this mornings ice had started to melt I started to chuck it around a bit harder. Bouncy!
As everyone and his dog has already commented, the suspension is an area that they've obviously made the cost savings to build it to this price.
My plan is to see what I can achieve first by adjusting the standard suspension and then if it's still not great i'll look at improving it next year coz i'm skint now :D

I had a fantastic morning screaming around on the bike and can't wait to get on it again and isn't that what it's all about? It's bloody good fun!

Glad I took my Scottoiler 365 with me to the dealers and nuked the bike with it before I set off as the bike is covered in crap now!
Also, i'm sooooo glad I had heated grips fitted. I can thoroughly recommend the Datatool hot grips. High heat is very hot but there's good adjustment and it's easy to change settings without taking your eyes off the road.

Can't wait to get out on it tomorrow!

MT09 - 01.jpg MT09 - 02.jpg MT09 - 03.jpg MT09 - 04.jpg

Spot

Reaction score
And some more pics coz I think it looks ace. :)

MT09 - 05.jpg MT09 - 06.jpg MT09 - 07.jpg MT09 - 08.jpg

Last edited:

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Fantastic news..! All u gotta do now is get rid of that mahoosive chicken strip lol

Spot

Reaction score
Q. How many MT-09s can you spot here?

P1100786.jpg

A. 6 and they're all sold! 4 of 'em hitting the road today

flydnb

Reaction score
I picked mine up today too, and weather was good, pics to follow.

Spot

Reaction score
I think they're turkey strips, so wide they are :p
Cheeky beggar!
:)

Somehow i've been shafted with Dunlops rather than the Bridgestones. To be honest, as I haven't explored the outer limits of it's handling they feel fine to me, but did I read some other posters not rating them that highly?
Not trying to make an excuse for chicken strips as wide as runways though :p

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Lol. It was me who said that..! I had the dunlops on mine and they are shite. Took them straight off and put pilot road 4's on as soon as I got it. The book says Bridgestone S20's or Dunlop sportmax and I notice most of them have the dunlops on them

Stripy

Reaction score
Yeah, they are hard to become friendly with, these Dunloops.
I've done 2300 miles now, and mid is already severely worn.

Next tyres I'll be going for, is as TT have, the Michelin Pilot Road 3 or 4's

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The 4's r fantastic. Loads of grip and warm up super quick. They're only a tiny bit more than the 3's. I got the pair fitted for £267

Stripy

Reaction score
Not bad!
I think it's my turn before Easter, and deffo before Th'Alps in July!

Chuck

Reaction score
Looks awesome but I just don't like the look of the Akrapovic, it sticks way out and does an almost 90 degree bend, this can't be good for gas flow and creates an ugly void between engine and pipe. But hey what do I know. :)

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk