Lost my confidence

LewFZ1

Reaction score
This is the second time out on the bike this week. I went for a bit of a run the other day in glorious sunshine and 20 minutes in I had had enough. I just could not get comfortable on the bike at all. It has been a while since I had been out, busy doing other things, away for a couple of weeks visiting family in France.
My mate and I went out today for decent run , he runs an FZ6. He was lead bike and we were enjoying a nice pacey ride up in the mountains. Stopped for lunch and after we set off again I went lead. I don't know what happened but suddenly I am full of dread, I just lost all confidence. Absolutely no reason at all , did not have a moment or anything. I was suddenly braking late , having to force myself to take corners missing the apex etc!
There is nothing wrong with the bike, the tyres are about past there best but still loads of grip and tread. But for all that I was going round corners at a snails pace almost upright. We stopped for a brew and I says to my mate take the lead , he says thank feck, your riding like a fanny. He was right, anyway off he goes and try as I might I could just not get my shit together. Anyone else ever have days like this. It has happened to me before but that was years ago. I got over it but it did take a long time.
I have a just ordered new PR4's but was not planning on having them fitted until mid March as there is still life in the old boots yet. Perhaps because I have it in my head that shortly I need new rubber I have lost confidence due to that I don't know. Appreciate your thoughts.
Lew

mike

Reaction score
New tyres will inspire more confidence so will going back out on your own without the pressure of riding with someone else even if he is a mate until you feel confident again. If your not 100% alert and fit riding a bike is a dangerous move which if you drift wide on corners could be a reason. Get those tyres on.... run them in and go for a run on your own on a road you know well and your confidence will soon come back.

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
happens to me occasionally, not losing confidence but losing the ability to ride.
I can go out and ride like a clown, out of position, not reading the road, braking too late or early, it's a weird feeling.
I tend to shout at myself (inside my helmet), stop for a break and usually it clicks, normal hoonigan service resumes :)

don't understand why you'd be going for the apex when riding on the road, or are you on a track ?

LewFZ1

Reaction score
No not on a track but when you can see clear across the valley and not a car in sight why not ride like you are on a track???

billygatso

Reaction score
I think the PR4s will cure you. I didn't realise how much my old dunlops were slipping until I got the PR4s fitted. What was the temperature? I found the dunlops to be much worse below 10 degrees. I wouldn't stress too much. We all have off days and at least you got back in one bit.

Unfazed

Reaction score
I usually know by the first roundabout what sort of day I'm going to have. Mostly if I'm preoccupied with something the riding gets crap and mechanical but on a good day, no road too rough, no bend too tough! Last year in the Vosges we were having a couple of wet days and in the bar we were talking about tyres and one of the guys said the new tyres out on the market are better than you (in general, not me specifically! He was a very experienced advanced instructor so I took him at his word ). I was riding PR4's on a VFR12 (heavy) in the wet next day so I kept chanting "the tyres are better than you" in my head and wow, in the wet I was riding like it was dry! so much so I scrubbed the RH tread off the front, in the wet, on hair pins, in the mountains. Must be more aggressive on right handers. The LH side was looking worn as well

I think you get comments stuck in your head from reviews etc and you start to tense up believing them as well sometimes

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
This is the second time out on the bike this week. I went for a bit of a run the other day in glorious sunshine and 20 minutes in I had had enough. I just could not get comfortable on the bike at all. It has been a while since I had been out, busy doing other things, away for a couple of weeks visiting family in France.
My mate and I went out today for decent run , he runs an FZ6. He was lead bike and we were enjoying a nice pacey ride up in the mountains. Stopped for lunch and after we set off again I went lead. I don't know what happened but suddenly I am full of dread, I just lost all confidence. Absolutely no reason at all , did not have a moment or anything. I was suddenly braking late , having to force myself to take corners missing the apex etc!
There is nothing wrong with the bike, the tyres are about past there best but still loads of grip and tread. But for all that I was going round corners at a snails pace almost upright. We stopped for a brew and I says to my mate take the lead , he says thank feck, your riding like a fanny. He was right, anyway off he goes and try as I might I could just not get my shit together. Anyone else ever have days like this. It has happened to me before but that was years ago. I got over it but it did take a long time.
I have a just ordered new PR4's but was not planning on having them fitted until mid March as there is still life in the old boots yet. Perhaps because I have it in my head that shortly I need new rubber I have lost confidence due to that I don't know. Appreciate your thoughts.
Lew
Riding is a matter of concentration... quick riding needs concentration and some adrenaline of course..
Personally i play with my bike when i'm fresh and calm... when i'm tired or "high" my mind ish't in riding but anywhere else..
As you wrote that happened after lunch.. if you drunk some beer during lunch and then ride in sunshine then it's possible to feel that way my friend:cool:

stevecbr

Reaction score
Think we all feel like that occasionally. Some days if dont feel 100% with it, so end up taking the scooter to work. Normally lasts an hour or so, but try not to ride anything fast if it doesnt feel right

Locksmith

Reaction score
We all have a day like that every now and then.
You fell into the trap of thinking about the bike behind you and trying to keep up a pace you were not comfortable with.

New tyres and another day and you'll be fine.

Cobweb

Reaction score
Take a day off from trying to ride like Rossi and just have a steady ride out and enjoy your day and everything will soon click back into place again