MCN Test Report coming next week

robodene

Reaction score
For us in the UK, Motorcycle News say that they are producing a test of the MT-09 in their next issue - due 4 September. Can't wait.

Seca Yamaha

Reaction score
Yamaha MT-09 first ride! - | Motorcycle News | New Motorbikes | Buyers Guides | MCN

Yamaha's eagerly awaited new three-cylinder roadster is currently being put through its paces by MCN Senior Road Tester Michael Neeves. Here are his first impressions:
"We're here at the world launch of the new £6799, three-cylinder, 847cc Yamaha MT-09 in Croatia.
"On paper the new Yamaha is an exciting prospect. Weighing just 188kg (171kg dry), it's light and that brand new engine produces 113bhp and 65ftlb of torque.
"Yes, you've guessed it: it's Yamaha's take on the hugely successful Triumph Street Triple. Unsurprisingly, it even makes the same noise when you fire it up - a strange sound for something with Yamaha written on the tank.
"It's a lovely machine to ride - easy and in no way intimidating. The three-cylinder engine is a peach, offering lots of low down grunt, a strong midrange and a grin-inducing top end.
"It's comfy, controllable, handles and brakes well. It's as happy around town as it is pulling easy wheelies and skidding up to roundabouts. The perfect bike for the experienced and newbies.
"But, the ride-by-wire throttle isn't perfect. I'm having to constantly toggle between the three modes to get a smooth response around town and enough power on the open road. The throttle is far too aggressive most of the time.
"Although it corners well, the front end is vague and doesn't give you confidence in the corners, unless you carry a lot of brake on the way in, which isn't ideal. It feels too high and hard.
"Read my full review and how I think it compares to the Triumph Street Triple in MCN on Wednesday."

Stripy

Reaction score
Hopefully MCN will keep Michael Neeves away from testing anything else than extreme sports bikes, because that seems to be the only thing he can compare up against :(

Stripy

Reaction score
You don't think the MT is extreme enough? :p
Oh yes I do - but Michael Neeves, the journalist from MCN who made the review will compare your lawnmower against a R1 and test how good it is to reach 300 km/h or wheelie, he would do that to a Gold Wing too.
That man can only review sportsbikes for track - that is his setup.

Seca Yamaha

Reaction score
I see a certain similarity with letting jazz journalists review metal albums....

rob5006

Reaction score
Yearp, you're not far off :)
Dont forget that a lot of these reviewers are being'rewarded' for knocking down Triumph street triples closest competitors.
i.e. Suzuki gsr, Fz 8, etc
The integrity of motorcycle magazines bike reviews is nil with me.
I just like the photos and the specs. As for the 'shoot-outs and reviews, take it with a pinch of salt.
From what i can gather, the mt09 is now the top dog !

Stripy

Reaction score
Funny you should mention that... i think MCN is a clear one, on that issue.
Just take when the Triumph Exploder was launched - oh it was the best Touring bike of the year - and WUPTI, MCN had suddenly a competition where you could win the very same bike.
How convenient.:eek:

(I'm now looking for the smiley icon, that symbols the right hand gesture of a male "genital sport"...)