Mot Regs

LewFZ1

Reaction score
I may be returning to live in the UK in the new year. Question Will I be able to have my bike registered on British plates and will it pass an MOT if the speedometer (Digital readout)is only in KPH. Unlike UK spec bikes which you can change from MPH to KPH at the push of a button EU spec bikes do not have this facility.

LewFZ1

Reaction score
Sometimes I despair on this forum, I am on 3 other forums Z1000SX, FZ1, and CBF1000, all 3 have replied to my post concerning the MOT regs. On here the post has been viewed more than 20 times. Is it a case of people do not know ? or cannot be bothered answering.

pavc

Reaction score
The one problem you will have is the head light as that will need changing to one that dips to the left and not the right.

Kinjane

Reaction score
Sometimes I despair on this forum, I am on 3 other forums Z1000SX, FZ1, and CBF1000, all 3 have replied to my post concerning the MOT regs. On here the post has been viewed more than 20 times. Is it a case of people do not know ? or cannot be bothered answering.
Some of us need to view a post before we can read what's been written in the post. But now I've viewed it half a dozen times just to ramp up the stats.... I'll reply ;)

To answer your original question... No. You'll a new Speedo as well as a left dip headlamp to begin the UK vehicle registration process - and don't forget to bring your European Certificate of Conformity with you if you do decide to return to the Land of Enger :)

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/222587/dg_071777.pdf

Last edited:

bobh

Reaction score
I thought the MT-09 headlight was a straight up-and-down dip, so wouldn't need changing? Th CoC should make this clear, though.

Also you shouldn't need to change the speedo. Some MoT stations are happy with KpH ones, but if yours is not, just get a trail bike speedo that runs off a wheel sensor from ebay. Vapor Tech are the best known marque, but I'm sure there are cheaper alternatives available.

BTW, it's not that I couldn't be a*sed to reply, I just ain't been on the forum for a week or two.

trevorleigh

Reaction score
On the British bike you can change the speedo from MPH to KPH and back by holding the select button for over one second. Not sure if it is the same on the European bikes, but it might be worth a try.

LewFZ1

Reaction score
Some of us need to view a post before we can read what's been written in the post. But now I've viewed it half a dozen times just to ramp up the stats.... I'll reply ;)

To answer your original question... No. You'll a new Speedo as well as a left dip headlamp to begin the UK vehicle registration process - and don't forget to bring your European Certificate of Conformity with you if you do decide to return to the Land of Enger :)

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/222587/dg_071777.pdf
Thanks Kinjane for the link to the Gov.uk site most helpful,
Cheers Lew

LewFZ1

Reaction score
On the British bike you can change the speedo from MPH to KPH and back by holding the select button for over one second. Not sure if it is the same on the European bikes, but it might be worth a try.
Thanks Trevor , I know that on a UK spec bike it is possible to do as you suggest, on the EU spec bike this is not possible, why this should be ??? have already contacted Yamaha Europe about it.