MT09 pre-wired 12V outlet

j4ybee

Reaction score
Been searching the forum but havent quite found what im looking for.
I have just got myself the yamaha 12v outlet that says it comes ready to suit the pre-wiring of the bike. When i opened the box however the unit comes with wiring to go straight to the battery. I thought there was a plug up front on the bike somewhere ready to be plugged into one of these rather than having to run the wires to battery?

Am i right or have i mis-understood the pre-wiring bit?

Cheers

stevecbr

Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean, the MT09 comes with an auxillary socket which is behind the right hand side pod (attached to the tank)
I have been looking for the connector to plug a charger directly into, but have had no luck. You can buy the connector from a shop like maplins, but would have to wire it up yourself, to attach to your charger etc. It would be great if yamaha sold this, as it would be a simple plug and play, and it is switched, meaning it only supplies power with the ignition on.
The one Yamaha actually sells is a universal one, which connects directly to the battery, and is always on (fine if you want a flat battery). I assume something like this Motorcycle Lite Waterproof USB Power Port Charging interface for Iphone Ipad GPS | eBay, but more expensive!

There is something on this forum and an american has wired one up nicely to the auxillary socket, but I'm not confident enough with electrics to know which is live or neutral

Matt Grey

Reaction score
Heres the thread you want
http://mt09.motorcycle-talk.com/for...-own-usb-charger-controlled-ignition-1-a.html
Heres the part you want
Motorcycle MT .090 - Connector and Terminals
Specifically MT-090-2B Male half only $3.35 plus shipping

I've bought a USB charging socket cable and have also bought the plug from cycleterminal. I'm gonna cut the battery terminal ring connectors off the USB cable and crimp the wires onto the male plug I got from cycleterminal, then attach it to that female aux socket under the tank rhs which is already switched & fused.

In terms of wiring, on the bike the yellow cable is + and the black cable is -
http://mt09.motorcycle-talk.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1224&d=1397989958

Pic shows slightly ghetto crimping method without using a proper male connector.

So crimp your charging cable + wire to the yellow and your - wire to the black. My USB charging cable is red/black, so I'll just need to crimp red to yellow and black to black.

In terms of mounting a USB socket I love what this guy has done here, cutting a hole in the tank plastic

But I will prob mount mine on the handlebar.

Last edited: