Name and shame - The Dark Side Of UK

Cypher

Reaction score
Seeing how we have a thread to name and praise dealers, why not have a name and shame thread so that we can warn others about our bad experiences. I don't think this should be disallowed as this is a free world we're living in and I personally don't see anything wrong with informing other people of my experiences.

I'll go first...

As all/many of you know from my ramblings I've had the camchain noise fixed several times.

I bought the bike from Lamba Motorcycles in Carshalton and there's not one bad word I can say about them, they've been absolutely superb in all regards - pre and post sales.
My only "gripe" with them is that they are quite far from where I live - about 20 miles - and it usually takes me more than an hour to get them. I wouldn't be complaining if not one fact - there is another dealer literally 2 miles away from me - Woodford Motorcycles - so you can understand why I'd prefer to use the closest one.

When my camchain started rattling the first time (before the first service, before I knew what it was) I called them up and said that I have a weird noise coming from the right side of the engine. They asked who I bought the bike from, I said Lamba and they said "Oh, well, in that case you have to go back to your dealer and see what they say. It's their responsibility to fix it." Alright. So I did... Had the noise fixed during the first service but it came back after a while I decided to try my luck with Woodford Motorcycles again.

I call them up a few weeks ago and speak like I've never spoken to them and say that I have noise coming from the camchain. First question the lady asks is "Did you buy the bike from us?" to which I obviously say no. Her reply - "Oh, in that case you have to go back to your dealer to get it fixed". I start saying that it's clearly a warranty repair but all she has to say is "You are a secondary client to us if you bought the bike from someone else and for such clients we don't do any warranty repairs". I was a bit baffled by the fact that they call themselves an "authorised Yamaha dealer" to which her reply was that they're a private company and they can make their own rules.

It felt like someone had just told me to f**k off even though it was their responsibility to do the repairs. I ended my conversation by saying that this wasn't really a way to gain new clients and I would certainly not be coming back and that I would contact Yamaha UK to clarify the situation but of course she didn't seem to care.

I called another dealer up in Shepherds Bush called Motorcycle Store, which is the dealership I bought my previous bike from and one I was very happy with. The guy also suggested I send an email to Yamaha and said - if they won't make Woodford fix it come to us and we'll sort you out.

I have to mention at this point that even though he didn't say - come over, we'll fix it, they have been helpful on more than one occasion and I can highly recommend them.

Eventually I did send a long email to Yamaha UK explaining the situation and expressing my disappointment at their after sales support and here is the reply:

Naturally we are sorry to hear that you have encountered a problem with you Yamaha motorcycle, the details of which have been noted and placed on file.

In an effort to assist, we have been in contact with the dealers you have mentioned and would in this instance kindly suggest, that you please contact [xxx] in the Service Department at the Motorcycle Store, on telephone number [xxx] who is in a position to inspect your machine.

Subsequently, they will then be able to discuss their findings with our Technical and Warranty staff, regarding any subsequent warranty claim on your behalf.

We are sorry that it has been necessary for you to contact us and apologise for any inconvenience incurred, We also trust that through the above dealer, this matter may be successfully resolved.
Notice how there's not a single word about Woodford Motorcycles. Sounds like the fact that an authorised dealership isn't doing warranty repairs doesn't really bother Yamaha. After all, dealers are the ones making them money so they can't really punish them so customer essentially comes last...

I eventually opted for going back to Lamba as I like the guys. They fixed it in 40 minutes, ordered a new part and already received it the following Wednesday so I'm going back to them this Saturday to get it fixed once and for all (hopefully).

TL;DR
Woodford Motorcycles suck donkey balls, Motorcycle Store in Shepherds Bush and Lamba in Carshalton are highly recommended!

Apologies for the long post but the world has to know :D

pipski99

Reaction score
+First question the lady asks is "Did you buy the bike from us?" to which I obviously say no. Her reply - "Oh, in that case you have to go back to your dealer to get it fixed". I start saying that it's clearly a warranty repair but all she has to say is "You are a secondary client to us if you bought the bike from someone else and for such clients we don't do any warranty repairs". I was a bit baffled by the fact that they call themselves an "authorised Yamaha dealer" to which her reply was that they're a private company and they can make their own rules.
After I bought my bike I received a pack in the post from Yamaha which includes a plastic card, same size as a credit card, which says it is a Europe wide Yamaha proof of warranty which should be carried at all times and which means you are entitled to warranty repairs at any Yamaha dealer in Europe. Did you receive one? Can dealers really try and refuse to support Yamaha warranty if they choose? I would want that point answered.

In fact I just found the card in my wallet as I'm a good boy and I put it in there like I was told. It is called Yamaha euroservice.

Has on it the model and year of the bike, a serial number beginning with RN, which I'm not sure is the chassis / frame number from the bike, the warranty dates (25/11/2013 - 24/11/2015 in my case), my name and Yamaha Motor Uk Ltd.

Cypher

Reaction score
[MENTION=196]pipski99[/MENTION] - I do have it and it's the same as yours but apparently that doesn't mean anything to Yamaha and their authorised dealers. I think it's the case of them rubbing each others backs where Yamaha keeps dealers in business and dealers make them money so Yamaha doesn't really want to punish their clients. At best they probably got a call and had a finger wagged at them saying - please don't do it any more.

I didn't even bother replying to the email as I thought there was no point, I'd probably just get a standard reply again.

Just in case anyone's interested, the official Yamaha UK email address is [email protected] and the guy that replied to me is Don Manley from after sales division ([email protected]) so feel free to drop him a note.