New member - New MT-09 - Bath

whooshbang

Reaction score
Hi All,

Been having a good poke around on this forum and seems like a good place to come if you own a Yamaha, informative and friendly!

A year ago I faced a huge dilemma. Should I buy a Street Triple or MT-09? ... Well, I bought the Street, A 2013 newer shape model but completely standard. I proceeded to have bundles of fun and the thought of owning the Yamaha fizzled away. I was enjoying the ST.... such fun to ride! Handled well for me out on the smooth open roads of Wales (you know the ones) but was a little hard in the potholed urban streets and no fun at all for inner city commutes, after a year it had started to niggle me. Maybe I just got bored? Na.... this thing was now beginning to annoy me! It just wanted to be thrashed i'm convinced, did not bode well for me deep in the concrete jungles, the infamous whine from the straight cut gears was quite frankly overkill, the rumble from the engine when the clutch was engaged added to racket and the riding position was just too "over the tank" for me. Rant over!

So...

I just traded it in for a 2015 MT-09 with zero miles on the clock. Yeah yeah I read the reviews, Heard about this and that... crap suspension! snatchy throttle etc... same as the ST really! but none of these things should be a problem if I can adapt a riding style to suit.... can it? and if not, there's always "B Mode" and new springs ;)

Anyway, just wanted to say hello really and realized I'm going off on right old tangent.

Picking the bike up from Fowlers in Bristol this week! Can't wait.... kid with a new toy!

See you out there!

flydnb

Reaction score
welcome mate , I'm not that far away in Dorset enjoy the bike .

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Make sure you check the bike out before you leave fowlups. They have been known to miss quite a bit on the pdi...

Kinjane

Reaction score
Hopefully by now you'll already have booked in your first service if that's where you intend going back to.

As far as I know there's still a 6 week wait to book something into Fowlers' workshop

fizzy

Reaction score
Hi and welcome I think you will like the MT most fun bike I have had in years

whooshbang

Reaction score
Thanks, and duly noted gentlemen!

I was actually suppose to pick the bike up last Saturday but they rang up on the Friday and dropped a bombshell. Explained how the bike fell into a small batch of Yamaha recalls - the potentially weak selector prongs on the shift shaft - and they'd need to keep the bike until it was done. Parts have been ordered and the job is a quick one so tomorrow, hopefully it'll be ready !

Not entirely happy about having a brand new factory built engine tinkered with by a random mechanic but apparently it's a simple job. Off with right engine casing, out with the clutch, slide the gear shaft out, replace with new shaft and seal, clutch back in, new gasket, engine casing back on and ready to ride.

Don't really know what to do about servicing side of things. I really prefer to change my own oil and filters so i can be sure the best stuff goes in my engine. The problem is no stamps in service history book.... possible warranty void? I think i will have to do the servicing at fowlers at least until the warranty expires.

whooshbang

Reaction score
Okay, quick update! picked the bike up last night from Fowlers motorcycles in Bristol. Nice job on the recall, you'd never know it had been taken apart and put back together again. gotta give em to them, they've done a good job! Anyway initial thoughts on riding the bike were how light and twitchy it was, completely different to the triple. Could not decide where to sit on the seat at first and keep mis judging where the foot pegs were. There's a lot of riding positions you can adopt on this bike, I like that! Feels like jumping on a motocrosser/supermoto! Got into rush hour traffic and stuck at several sets of lights and couldn't help noticing a number 6 in the lcd display, wasn't until it flicked to 7 that i realised it was my odometer.... doh! Anyway lots of people got beeped at when i was trying to tell them where i was going but i slowly got used to the indicators. The suspension is actually ok, more comfortable than the standard triple out of the box. Haven't scrubbed the tyres in yet so hard to say what it will feel like when more aggressive riding comes along. Engine wise, it sounds lovely with the full Akro pipe, far less rattly than the ST. little bit of the obligatory gearbox noise when the clutch is engaged but nothing too drastic. The gears need bedding in, they are clunky in low rpm. Currently running the bike in at 1/4 throttle and 6000rpm max. No cruising rpms, keeping the engine guessing but not thrashing it. Love the smell of a brand new engine getting hot (never had that before).

Notched up 35 miles, but riding it up to Blyton driving centre from Bath on Sunday to get this running in business dealt with swiftly. Already booked in for it's 600 mile service so its keeps my 2 year warranty valid with Fowlers.

So far so good. Well happy with it but intrigued by all this talk of ECU Flash.

Thank you everyone

Last edited:

whooshbang

Reaction score
Well after a cancelled ride to Blyton driving park there was no other option but tame the beast in mid Wales. Notched up 400 total miles now and creeping it up to 7000rpm, still around 1/4 throttle though. Made a single adjustment to the front rebound damping to smooth things out a bit and can't complain, front feels good. The rear feels a little soft when pouring the power on out of corners, maybe pre-load it a bit and add some damping otherwise the bike handles very well. Add a pair of Michelin Pilot 4 tyres and skip the grand on suspension upgrades for now I reckon.

STD riding mode seems suitable for most roads. To be honest i can't be arsed to switch it! Gearbox is slightly less clunky but rather noisy. The seat is a bit hard but i think my bum is toughening up to it. Bit like jumping on a bicycle after a long break..... you gotta get used to it.

Looking forward to finally finishing the running in process and opening it up.

May do a video review on this bike too (never tried it) and focus it all on the aforementioned.

flydnb

Reaction score
the gearbox gets quieter over time and a couple of oil changes, mine is very quiet now .

Fulfilled-09

Reaction score
I'm just over the 1500 mile mark now and enjoyed every mile. The bike puts a smile on my face every ride, short or long. It's an ideal bike for all ocassions and a ease and joy to live with daily. I'll know how good it is on track come October when I've 3 days at the Circuit de Catalunya. I've played around with fork and shock settings and it's now 100% better than it was from factory. I do plan to upgrade to after market products in time once. Enjoy the bike, it really is a champion machine and possibly unbeatable new at circa £7k!

whooshbang

Reaction score
Thanks all.

loving the bike. just a little adjustment to the rear shock pending. I have hit the 600 mile mark and have a 10 day wait for the first service so i am unable to ride it at the moment :(

gagging to get out there and ride!

Sven

Reaction score
Hi Whooshbang, i'm new here myself - having just picked my tracer up 2 days ago.
10 days for a first service!! Don't think i could wait that long.
I asked how long the wait would be to book in for 1st service when i picked mine up & they said they can nearly always fit it in within a day or 2. Only if i wanted it done on a saturday would it possibly be longer.
Interested to read your comments on the suspension. I've only put 100 miles on mine but i'm thinking a few tweaks may be in order. But i came from a softly sprung DL650 so probably need a bit longer to get used to it before i start adjusting it too much.
Hope your 10 days doesn't drag too much!

D

Deleted member 1834

welcome new member. put hyper pro springs on mine. big improvement

whooshbang

Reaction score
Thanks Olly..... Did you buy the kit and fit yourself or have them do it? Approximately how much did it cost you if you don't mind my asking?

Triple... are you the man to see for getting my ECU re-mapped ?

Cheers

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks Olly..... Did you buy the kit and fit yourself or have them do it? Approximately how much did it cost you if you don't mind my asking?

Triple... are you the man to see for getting my ECU re-mapped ?

Cheers
Yes bud I'm the man lol

whooshbang

Reaction score
excellent. How does it all go down? Do I ride the bike over to you? or is it all done by post?